The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

Whats with the Haber hate? If you were building a squad from scratch to play against CONCACAF, I would want a big target man that can knock down balls and win headers on set pieces.  Jackson, Haber, RIckets, these are the choices we have until guys like Zanatta, Messoudi, AJH, Hamilton etc develop into something Floro can use.  Cross your fingers one of those guys takes off and we have some more options for the next round of WCQ.  

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Canadian Pride said:

You can make the case that Jackson deserves the call but I wouldn't replace haber with him. Games against Mexico we need players like haber 

Just curious. Why do we need Haber? He is not going to be starting over Larin and might not even get subbed on depending on what is happening in the game.

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

Just curious. Why do we need Haber? He is not going to be starting over Larin and might not even get subbed on depending on what is happening in the game.

Haber did well at the end of the Honduras game in November when he came in. He did a better job than Larin at holding the ball up.

That's why we need that option in case we have to protect a result against a strong Mexican squad. Player like Hume or Jackson don't offer much in that regard (holding the ball).

Just now, aloyol said:

Haber did well at the end of the Honduras game in November when he came in. He did a better job than Larin at holding the ball up.

That's why we need that option in case we have to protect a result against a strong Mexican squad. Player like Hume or Jackson don't offer much in that regard (holding the ball).

Yes we need that option and the alternate to Haber would be Occean not Jackson, a tall physical player who can hold up the ball and will be hard to handle for the defenders. Obviously it is better if they can score but the important thing is not so much that they can score but that they are a threat to score so the opposing defenders/mids have to play more conservatively. Jackson tends to disappear for long stretches while Haber is always a presence. Jackson would be an alternate to Ricketts but for all Ricketts flaws I think he has performed better than Jackson for Canada, is faster (again the threat that makes the defenders/mids stay back) and Jackson has a lot of the same flaws that Ricketts has. It is nice to see Jackson get his career back on track and he could challenge Ricketts in the future (though hopefully both will be challenged by younger, more complete players) but I don't see Jackson replacing Ricketts at this stage of qualifying (why bring in a guy who has only been an occasional sub for us recently when he is not necessarily better than the player who has been starting?). If Jackson gets selected it will be because someone else is not available not instead of Haber. Since Occean is a very unlikely selection for reasons yet to be clarified, Haber it is and he has played pretty well recently in the role he has been given. Plus he has been scoring for his club recently and is probably due for us as well having some good chances and being a bit unlucky recently.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

Here's a scenario for you: We're in Vancouver, it's 1-1 in the 75th minute and Larin is tiring. Floro is clearly (and probably justifiably) playing for the draw. Who do you want in his place? Jackson or Haber? I know my choice.

I have no confidence that either could score. I would have hope that Cavallini could score.

I guess Monsalve would be a sensible choice for this camp since he's about the only 'keeper playing week-in week-out ATM. In South America which is a bonus. I know Guatemalan football is not really high standard but he's the #1 for the #1 team in the #1 tier of that country right now and it would make sense for him to join the team for these two games as a second or third string goalie. 

25 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I guess Monsalve would be a sensible choice for this camp since he's about the only 'keeper playing week-in week-out ATM. In South America which is a bonus. I know Guatemalan football is not really high standard but he's the #1 for the #1 team in the #1 tier of that country right now and it would make sense for him to join the team for these two games as a second or third string goalie. 

Agreed. One of the three has to be starting regularly. I honestly thought it would be Thomas but then he loses his spot to Iceland's #1 keeper-- sucks for him and us. 

Borjan, Stama, Monsalve at this point against Mexico.

I really hope one of our non-starters gets moved to a club where he will start. It was supposed to be Borjan but for the 2nd transfer window in a row nothing happened despite gobs of speculation. 

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

I honestly thought it would be Thomas but then he loses his spot to Iceland's #1 keeper-- sucks for him and us.

The Halldórsson transfer was just announced. The 2016 Tippeligaen season just started. Thomas could have played on Sunday and Bodø/Glimt has one more game before the Mexico games (on March 20th.) He literally would have played 2 games more than we now think he will. Floro's squad has also already been set. Sucks for Thomas but this has ZERO bearing on the Mexico games. Will it affect his chances of being at the June friendly? Likely. The September WCQ games? Likely. But not March.

4 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Agreed. One of the three has to be starting regularly. I honestly thought it would be Thomas but then he loses his spot to Iceland's #1 keeper-- sucks for him and us. 

Borjan, Stama, Monsalve at this point against Mexico.

I really hope one of our non-starters gets moved to a club where he will start. It was supposed to be Borjan but for the 2nd transfer window in a row nothing happened despite gobs of speculation. 

Guatemala is not in South America. It's a Central American country.

7 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I know it is  -- I was agreeing to the point that Monsalve is playing weekly and might warrant a call. 

I think that was intended for Shamrock

7 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Guatemala is not in South America. It's a Central American country.

I know that and technically Mexico is North America so my argument actually should have been: we should call in Smits cause he plays in North America like the opponents...

Archived