The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Further:

If either Ouimette or Aird get regular minutes in MLS, I'd consider starting either over Ledgerwood, who will still be in pre season on March 25th, and at a lower level.  Is Ledgerwood's experience enough to keep the younger guys on the bench?  

DeGuzman is a similar concern.  He will be 35 years old on March 25th.  Sooner or later, he will be too old to keep up with international football.  Do we play him until it is obvious and risk him having a bad game in a situation we cannot afford anyone having a bad game in, or do we get proactive and move on?  

This leads to the question of where we play Arfield.  We could play him on the right for RIcketts, or if we play him centrally, we can drop deGuzman and gain a more dynamic player in the middle. Perhaps this comes down to who is the bigger liability: an aging deGuzman still in preseason mode, or Ricketts who offers little in attack, but knows Floro's game, defends when needed and is the fittest player on the team?

I think the De Guzman decision will be made on the practice pitch not necessarily during or after a game.

As for Airfiled he absolutely has to play on the right. From what I've seen with Burnley he does not normally play centrally and I believe it really comes down to having your best 11 on the field. Arfield centrally means sacrificing one of WJ, AH or JDG, having him on the wing means sacrificing TR or TA. Seems pretty obvious to me. Also with WJ, JDG and Arfield on the pitch you definitely have 3 serious threats at a quality long strike.

I think in a big match at home in front of 40,000+ people you have to go with your most capped/experienced player in De Guzman, regardless of whether he is 35 now or not.  He played well against Honduras, I think he stays in the lineup. 

Our whole midfield played well at home last time out, I'd be hesitant to mess with anything.  If Ledgerwood is fit I'd start him over Ouimette at right back, he's more experienced and IMO less likely to be burned.  At CB I'd take out Straith for Edgar.  And put Arfield on the wing in Ricketts spot.

Larin

Hoilett -     Osorio     - Arfield 

Hutchinson - Johnson 

De Jong - Vitoria - Edgar/Henry - Aird

Borjan

I know this wouldn't be the starting XI, but this is what I'd like to see.

hi my very good mates from Canada ....i will give ya my squad...so it is a double header vs the mexicans....we had played then several times...and i will tell ya what they dont like to play against... tall  and mobile strikers and midfielders  they just cant cope with them...small tricky players they are use to it...in the mexican league they are more less CHAPARRITOS as they call to a small guy up there in Mexico...  Thet dont like to play against us or Uruguay since we are a bit more europeans ..that is a fact that you canucks should use to get some results against them.. 

The main game is at home to be honest a HAVOC in the air could be something to think about..a guy like CAVALLINI could be VERY GOOD... up front next to  HOLLIET....  and a tall guy...  up front ..

my squad

GK    BORJAN 

STAMA  OR  HIRSCHFELD

THOMAS

DF    HENRY

DE JONG

VITORIA

JAKOVIC

EDGAR

OUIMETTE

STRAITH

MD     HUTCHINSON

DE GUZMAN

TISSOT

TEIBERT

JOHNSON

TRAFFORD

ARFIELD

FW

HOILETT

CAVALLINI

LARIN

HABER

AKINDELE

RICKETTS OR JACKSON

/.....................................................................................................

I would play at home

BORJAN 

HENRY      EDGAR       JAKOVIC     DE JONG

HOILETT     STRAITH    HUTCHINSON      TISSOT or JOHNSON

HABER       AKINDELE OR CAVALLINI

IN MEXICO I WOULD PLAY  DE GUZMAN  AND HOILETT  NEXT TO  LARIN  ....LARIN  is a good player but a bit languid,    akindele is harder and haber can shield the ball at home to cause some havoc up front

Trafford is someone I heard only good reviews about him  FROM YOU.... and he is tall,  young and good with both feet,,,, someone fresher can have some good attitude the same with ARFIELD  wouldnt start him just yet  but would play him the last  20 to gel with teammates

6 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Trafford is someone I heard only good reviews about him  FROM YOU.... and he is tall,  young and good with both feet,,,, someone fresher can have some good attitude the same with ARFIELD  wouldnt start him just yet  but would play him the last  20 to gel with teammates

No offense but i wouldn't want that lineup in a million years.

8 hours ago, Alex1775 said:

Larin

Hutchinson - Johnson 

Borjan

Floro does not rate osorio but i would love to see that lineup. That is strong enough to get us to the hex.

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Cavallini was initially called last time, so for that reason alone I think he'll be given another chance to prove himself.  3 strikers isnt too many if you want to have a look at one of them.

He was yes, but he was replaced by Haber who is already confirmed for this squad.  I can't see us calling 3 centre forwards, it's pointless especially with Akindele and Ricketts capable of playing there if we really ran into trouble.  

I wonder if Jackson will get a call?  Would seem odd to leave off one of our few players playing in the Championship who has Prem and Bundesliga experience but bringing him would mean dropping Akindele or Ricketts which would be tough for Floro.

10 hours ago, Alex1775 said:

Larin

Hutchinson - Johnson 

Borjan

I see our box to box midfield being;

WJ

Hutch     JDG

I don't rate Osorio as our best option as CAM at this moment esp vs Mexico. In my opinion, he constantly gets out muscled and I find he often becomes a ghost on the pitch. I find he is more of a finesse style of player, which, as stated above by Javier, Mexicans are very use to defend against.  I do believe there will be a time and place for Osorio, just not vs Mexico, perhaps even in matchday 5 and 6.  Osorio could be a huge piece for us vs Guat at home.  Another season to sharpen his game as JDG gets older.   

I wonder if we will see Sam Piette, I feel he is our future for a holding midfielder so I hope we do.  In my opinion he is great on the ball, stays composed, and very rarely gets out muscled, which is huge in CONCACAF play. He knows how to use his body as well, and I am hoping with a Caribeean ref, the ref will be more lenient to not calling Mexican flopping. Big bodies making contact from the Caribbean style of play and won't fall for the diving.  I see Piette being a holding midfielder for us for a very long time, I'd like to see hims get some minutes, likely as a sub for JDG?  

Not a bekker hater, but I agree with above, I think JDG def is in the starting lineup unless he fails a fitness test like vs El Salvador.   So if JDG starts and when he is running out of gas ~70 minutes I hope we see Piette come in for him.

referring to Keegan's post about how JDG with 40K+ fans will get the start.

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Not a bekker hater, but I agree with above, I think JDG def is in the starting lineup unless he fails a fitness test like vs El Salvador.   So if JDG starts and when he is running out of gas ~70 minutes I hope we see Piette come in for him

13 minutes ago, theaub said:

Piette -> de Guzman

Haber -> Larin

Ricketts -> Arfield or Hoilett

Vs Honduras it was Piette -> de Guzman at the 78th. Vs El Salvador it was at the 71st. I like that sub but it might have to be done earlier (maybe 60th minute?). It might even be worth starting Piette at Azteca and sub in DeGuzman (where we aren't expected to get a result anyways) to up the tempo at the end of the game. The altitude will be draining.

Also, Akindele for Hoilett sub is better imo. Keep Arfield on the pitch unless he really bombs.

I don't speak Spanish, so maybe I'm missing something, but according to the website below, Cavallini's team is currently in 5th place in Uruguay's top division, he's played 4 games so far (missed the last for some reason) in 2016 scoring two goals, he plays South American style soccer all the time. 

I've been impressed every time I've seen him. Great physique for a forward, I'd hate to defend against him.

I would start him with Larin substituting as necessary.I wouldn't consider Haber at all except, with the addition of Hoilett, we seem to have acquired someone who can put quality crosses into the box. Without Hoilett, there's no point to Haber. 

http://us.soccerway.com/teams/uruguay/centro-atletico-fenix/2295/

14 hours ago, theaub said:

Borjan, de Jong, Edgar, Jakovic, Straith, Hutchinson, de Guzman, Johnson, Hoilett, Arfield, Larin

Other than Henry or (likely) Ledgerwood at RB, I can definitely see this being our starting line up at BC place vs. Mexico

What I want to see, taking into account that Hainault is injured.

Borjan, Stamatopoulos, Thomas

Ledgerwood, Aird, Edgar, Jakovic, Henry, Vitoria, de Jong

De Guzman, Hutchinson, C. Trafford, Johnson, Straith, Jackson, Hoilett, Arfield, Hume

Akindele, Haber, Larin, Cavallini

For  starters    No  Bekker,   And  I  see  a  lot  people  like  Henry   but  I  do  not  think  he  is  in  game  shape  yet  judging  from  that  U.S   game.  And  he  wAS  OUT  FOR  A  VERY  LONG  TIME.  But  I  could  be  wrong.

GK.

Borjan,  Stamatopoulos,  Crepaeu.  (providing  that  he  not  injured.)

Def.

Ledgerwood, Edgar, Jackovic  Dejong, Vitoria , Oumettte  Aird.

Mid

Arfield,  De Guzman. Johnson, Hiolett. Osorio, Hutchinson,  Tiebert.  Trafford. Ricketts..

For.

Larin.  Cavalinni,  Haber  Akindele.

Henry has made the gameday roster for the Hammers lately.   I wouldn't think they would have him on the bench if he wasn't very close to game day shape.  And the game is still 3 weeks away.  He'll be ready to go.  And has there been any official word on Arfield or are we all just hoping he'll be there?  Whats his status?

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Henry has made the gameday roster for the Hammers lately.   I wouldn't think they would have him on the bench if he wasn't very close to game day shape.  And the game is still 3 weeks away.  He'll be ready to go.  And has there been any official word on Arfield or are we all just hoping he'll be there?  Whats his status?

Have you seen this article?

and the Clarets midfielder can’t wait to get started with Canada in March, providing his passport application goes through smoothly.

Does he have a passport yet?  That stuff takes along time.  I'm not doubting this in happening, but will the paperwork be lined up in 3 weeks?

Archived