John Smits

shermanator

4 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I have to think if they were high on Q they wouldn't have drafted and|or signed ask the others. tfc panic signing, and his agreeing to a pro deal when he wasn't ready, ruined his career. I really can't blame tfc for seeking an upgrade if they never thought he'd pan out.

Would have liked Smits at TFCII though... Would have made sense.

Bono was drafted before the 2015 season, and at the beginning of the 2016 season Q seemed to be the favoured keeper. Bono seemed to surpass Q just before Irwin's injury in 2016 and that was game over for Q. If Irwin's injury happened earlier in the season, Q could be the one getting all these games. I'm cheering for Q to get into CPL and be a dominant keeper.

Honestly, I think this may be the end of the road for Smits. IIRC, he admitted on the LCRV podcast last year that he was not expecting to go pro in the first place, so a 5 year pro career coming out of CIS is pretty awesome. That said, it's incredibly shitty that the NASL Golden Glove winner is out of the game less than 3 years later.

I would love to see Smits pop up somewhere in the CPL if / when it is launched, but if he doesn't sign anywhere this year that will be almost 2 years out of the game by the time the rumoured August 2018 launch date is upon us.

Maybe he needs to get on the phone with Lank Experience and get over to third division Sweden...

Yeah I guess you're right. It also depends on what you want he, David Monsalve keeps on finding new clubs. He won't get rich anytime soon but he's still in the game. I kinda respect that though.

On the other side, I couldn't understand a goalkeeper like Kosic dropping out of the game after being a starter in MLS. he had a decent shot of climbing back up the lader, like goalies like Van Oekel or Atinella. 

23 hours ago, Kent said:

Bono was drafted before the 2015 season, and at the beginning of the 2016 season Q seemed to be the favoured keeper. Bono seemed to surpass Q just before Irwin's injury in 2016 and that was game over for Q. If Irwin's injury happened earlier in the season, Q could be the one getting all these games. I'm cheering for Q to get into CPL and be a dominant keeper.

I remember the narrative. I wondered then, and still wonder if we misread it (despite Vanney's comments at the time). Seems to me they kept the third string sitting with the big club and sent the number two to TFCII to keep sharp. So basically I do wonder if Q was ever really no 2 over the, what, fourth pick overall that year...

Even if not the case, coming out third trumped second...

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I remember the narrative. I wondered then, and still wonder if we misread it (despite Vanney's comments sy the time). Seems to me they kept the third string sitting with the big club and sent the number two to TFCII to keep sharp. Do basically I do wonder if Q was ever really no 2 over the, what, fourth pick overall that year...

Even if not the case, coming out third trumped second...

If I remember correctly, didn't they split time with TFC II and on the bench with TFC? I thought they were alternating those positions, but Vanney said at the beginning of the season that there was a slight edge for Q.

The were both on the bench with the big club, it was just dumb luck that Irwin got injured when BONO was riding the pine.  If it was the other way around Q might still be at TFC with 15 starts under his belt.  Q couldnt have done much worse than Bono did the first few games.

Too bad for Smits though, you would think one of those 50 USL clubs would want a steady NASL veteran around.

• 3 months later...

Well, it looks like Smits is getting into coaching. Good for him for finding a new gig, but it's a shame how quickly he went from Golden Glove award winner to Unattached FC. CPL would have been a great place for him to continue playing were it around.

21 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well, it looks like Smits is getting into coaching. Good for him for finding a new gig, but it's a shame how quickly he went from Golden Glove award winner to Unattached FC. CPL would have been a great place for him to continue playing were it around.

He absolutely shouldn't have retired 

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Looks like he hasn't.

While professional jobs aren't forthcoming, it would be good for him to play in League1 Ontario while he waits for the CPL to start up. Hopefully he'll do so now that he has a permanent job in TO, he'd certainly help his future career as well as the league.

6 minutes ago, Zem said:

While professional jobs aren't forthcoming, it would be good for him to play in League1 Ontario while he waits for the CPL to start up. Hopefully he'll do so now that he has a permanent job in TO, he'd certainly help his future career as well as the league.

What about signing for TFC? He's better in my opinion than the 3rd stringer they have! 

• 8 months later...

Archived