John Smits

shermanator

Looks like there's no dedicated John Smits thread (or I am simply unable to find it), but his signing with Wilmington Hammerheads was announced today. He had some interesting comments regarding FC Edmonton and him dropping to the #3. It seems like once a player is on the outs in Edmonton they aren't treated too well. 

My agent told me that there was some MLS teams that showed some interest, but because of the foreigner rule, there’s no way they were going to use an international spot on a goalkeeper unless he’s a for-sure number-one.”

At this time last year, Smits admits things were rocky. He said he was surprised that the Eddies went out and made the off-season move to sign veteran keeper Matt VanOekel. Smits thought that his job was safe, coming off the Gold-Glove winning year.

VanOekel won the starting job, but injuries allowed Smits to get back in goal late in the spring season. But the final nail in the coffin came in a spring-season game in Indianapolis, when Smits was a subbed off at halftime — non-injury — after giving up a couple of goals. That was the last time he’d play for the Eddies.

“There was no communication from the club,” he said. “They made the move and I found out about it through friends asking me how I felt about it all. I came close to feeling sick to my stomach. I thought there were other areas that needed to be addressed, so the move really surprised me. But what made it so difficult was the lack of communication from the front office.”

57 minutes ago, shamrock said:

They could have told him about it, sure. But players get brought in all the time. We want our players to excel and progress, so they can get into bigger leagues. What do you think happens at really big clubs?

Yeah apparently Edmonton is the new Grozny! I do actually agree that in a professional setting new players get brought in all the time. Still I think Smits has some right to be pissed off after biding his time and being a good backup he has a breakout year and they sign another keeper to be number 1 the following year. And given that both FCE and Van Oekel were pretty mediocre last year one can really question whether that was the right decision and the position where FCE should have put their money or whether they should have stuck with Smits and upgraded elsewhere. And even if hard decisions have to be made that will not please every player there are ways to do it fairly with class instead of treating them like crap or as you say, "chewing them up and spitting them out." I think pretty clearly Smits was chewed up and spit out. This also seems to be the modus operandi of FCE since Miller has been there. I also suspect if one of our players was treated like this by a Russian club your reaction would be totally different.

On 2/2/2016 at 8:26 AM, shamrock said:

Grozny will chew him up and spit him out. 

I fail to see what my quote from a completely different topic has to do with this one. Maybe I should take random quotes from you and put them here, saying, there you go!

Awful Fc Edmonton! Disgraceful how they gave nobody Smits a chance to become pro. And terrible how his going away makes room for Tyson Farago as well. What in earth are they doing up there, developping Canadian Pro's or something? 

The only thing I sorta agree with is they could have told him in advance. Smits is a good stopper on the line, but not too great when it comes to gathering flanks in the air, nor in distributing the ball. All he has to do now is improve on his weaker points and show Miller the finger with that. USL is as great a place for him to do that as any. IF he wins the spot down there. 

Just because had a break out season doesn't mean the people that work with him think he will keep improving. Maybe he was playing above his level. 

There is a degree of moral professional behavior where efc would only have something to gain letting him know his shortfalls so he could improve or that in their opinion he had reached his potential . At the end of the day clubs aren't beholden to the players on bringing in other players to the club nor should they be. Comes off more sour grapes to me. 

I don't think he being sour grapes just brutally honest about how he felt. Everyone knows Colin Miller is a jerk, and CM has the right to run his team as he feels. Smits n Parker were out of favor and he brought in his own keepers OVO n Farango. Smits has a chance to get alot of games in the USL and keep improving.

I think Smits got a raw deal in Edmonton. Having a breakout year only to see a keeper who is mediocre in every way signed to replace him. Just watch the winning goal by Laba in last year's Voyageurs Cup to see how quality of a shot stopper van Oekel is. Van Oekel's form improved over the fall season, but I just don't rate him. Wouldn't be surprised if Farago overtook him for the starting role (and that would be a pleasant surprise)

Now Smits needs to use 2015 as motivation in Wilmington to take the #1 job and show Miller what he let go.

Too lazy to quote it, but the comment above regarding Smits not being a Miller guy is basically spot on in my opinion. Had some great chats with Smits last year, and it was pretty clear that he was brought in prior to Miller, and wasn't rated by Miller. He came in out of necessity in 2014, and the team got too hot to take him out. Shame to see him go, but I'm quite glad to see him land somewhere, and continue his career. That's my biggest fear seeing Canadian's get cut.

In terms of who I would go with, I think the recent set of call ups shows that FCEd made a good call. Farago made the cut with the national team ahead of Smits. Says something there. Sandor also has commented that Smits and Farago are on the same level (and Smits would also agree with that). With the age difference, smarter for the club to stick with a younger improving keeper. The MVO signing is debatable, but that's for a different thread I'm sure.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Looks like Smits is making the most of his opportunity in Wilmington, starting every game in league play and getting rave reviews for his effort in last night's US Open Cup defeat (on penalties) against a quality MLS side. He's a damn good keeper.

he was a damn good keeper 2 years ago but Miller replaced him anyway

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With Wilmington announcing they will not play in USL in 2017, John Smits said his goodbyes and noted he is back with Unattached FC.

IMO, Smits is a prime example of how making Canadians domestic league wide in MLS will lead to more opportunities for Canadians (although not necessarily more playing time). He has mentioned on podcasts that he had interest from MLS clubs, but they wouldn't offer him a deal due to taking up an international spot.

Not to say a Canadian league wouldn't benefit players like Smits, but in all honesty the Canadian MLS teams also passed on him. There he'd be domestic. He falls just in the category beneath the current MLS-goalkeepers, which is nothing to be ashamed of. 

The MLS teams passed on him but all 3 have a young academy product in the wings.  Crepeau, Roberts, Carducci/Melvin/Richey.  What message would that send to them?  Too bad the CPL wasnt going now, Smits, Farago, Irving and some of the academy boys etc all could be starters and local home town heroes.  Then maybe 1-2 of them would blossom into a Pat Onstad (cut his teeth in old CSL).   I sure hope Smits finds somewhere to play for next year.  

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The MLS teams passed on him but all 3 have a young academy product in the wings.  Crepeau, Roberts, Carducci/Melvin/Richey.  What message would that send to them?

The same message that they are currently sending with having Kronberg, Konopka (last year) and Tornaghi on the team?

• 5 months later...

I hear ya!  Look at TFC.  Bono is going to be starting the next 6 weeks and some dude named Pais (USA) is backup...Pais will probably play VCUP games for TFC.  If they had not been drafting and signing yanks, Q might have gotten his shot.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I hear ya!  Look at TFC.  Bono is going to be starting the next 6 weeks and some dude named Pais (USA) is backup...Pais will probably play VCUP games for TFC.  If they had not been drafting and signing yanks, Q might have gotten his shot.  

I have to think if they were high on Q they wouldn't have drafted and|or signed ask the others. tfc panic signing, and his agreeing to a pro deal when he wasn't ready, ruined his career. I really can't blame tfc for seeking an upgrade if they never thought he'd pan out.

Would have liked Smits at TFCII though... Would have made sense.

Archived