WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT CANADIAN SOCCER IS ...

Robert

The heart our team plays with. We are almost always the underdog and we often have to play under crappy circumstances - whether it's being put up in hotels where cars are honking so our players can't sleep or bags of piss being thrown at them. Our players always show up, are proud Canadians and do their best.

Guys like Hume and Edgar have nothing but great things to say always. They have respect for their fans and help promote the sport and country. I'm sure their are many more but these two really stand out over the last 5-7 in particular.

Honestly, what I like about Canadian soccer is that I can meet fellow supporters from other cities, and by the end of the night feel like I've known them for years. So far I've met folks based in Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Regina and Saskatoon, and I'm sure those in other cities are of the same ilk.

On 2/26/2016 at 0:49 AM, Grizzly said:

It satisfies my masochistic urges to such a degree that I do not have to pay for a dominatrix to whip me to feel the intense pain and disappointment I crave! :)

I was a masochist too... however, times have changed. We don't have to be beaten fans to support our National Team :)  They really are a much better program!

When I was young, it was all about the NHL. At about 12, the NFL became more important. In 1980, Canadian soccer became my sporting obsession and 36 years later it still burns as hot as it did back then.   I could give a rat's ass about the NHL now and only watch the NFL playoffs, but when we scored that goal against Honduras last October i was jumping around like a 5 year old. Why?

I guess partially it's of love of country. Also, the magnitude of the games every four years provide the highs and lows that every great sporting spectacle needs. Add in a dollop of masochism and perpetual hope as well.

On 2016-02-25 at 0:46 PM, hodgkiss said:

The heart our team plays with. We are almost always the underdog and we often have to play under crappy circumstances - whether it's being put up in hotels where cars are honking so our players can't sleep or bags of piss being thrown at them. Our players always show up, are proud Canadians and do their best.

Guys like Hume and Edgar have nothing but great things to say always. They have respect for their fans and help promote the sport and country. I'm sure their are many more but these two really stand out over the last 5-7 in particular.

Nik ledgerwood

Archived