A WORLD CUP IN CANADA?

Robert

If Mr. Montagliani is elected CONCACAF president and decides to start lobbying for a men’s World Cup Final in Canada, would such a tournament be viable financially or otherwise without the United States participating in it?  God forbid, the USA should fail to qualify for a World Cup hosted in Canada?  Simply put, FIFA could not allow such an outcome to happen.  Just imagine last year’s women’s final at BC Place without the USA in it?  There would only be 5,000 spectators in the stands.  Therefore, FIFA would either have to allocate automatic berths for both Canada and the United States, or give Americans such a ridiculously easy qualifying route to the Final tournament, something along the lines of what Jack Warner tried to do for T&T a few years back.  If FIFA opts for the former it would leave 1.5 berths for the remainder of CONCACAF countries to vie for, with Mexico being an almost 99.99% sure bet to claim the final full spot.  How would this scenario wash with the remaining 35 CONCACAF countries that would have to compete for a 0.5 spot?  Maybe Mr. Montagliani could persuade the Europeans, Africans or South Americans to sacrifice one of their spots to accommodate a World Cup Final in Canada, which currently would be the only conceivable way that Canada would ever get to take part in a World Cup Final tournament?  Oh, dear.  Well, at least CONCACAF would have the problem-solving genius of Canadian soccer to deal with that situation, should it ever get that far.

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

If Mr. Montagliani is elected CONCACAF president and decides to start lobbying for a men’s World Cup Final in Canada, would such a tournament be viable financially or otherwise without the United States participating in it?  God forbid, the USA should fail to qualify for a World Cup hosted in Canada?  Simply put, FIFA could not allow such an outcome to happen.  Just imagine last year’s women’s final at BC Place without the USA in it?  There would only be 5,000 spectators in the stands.  Therefore, FIFA would either have to allocate automatic berths for both Canada and the United States, or give Americans such a ridiculously easy qualifying route to the Final tournament, something along the lines of what Jack Warner tried to do for T&T a few years back.  If FIFA opts for the former it would leave 1.5 berths for the remainder of CONCACAF countries to vie for, with Mexico being an almost 99.99% sure bet to claim the final full spot.  How would this scenario wash with the remaining 35 CONCACAF countries that would have to compete for a 0.5 spot?  Maybe Mr. Montagliani could persuade the Europeans, Africans or South Americans to sacrifice one of their spots to accommodate a World Cup Final in Canada, which currently would be the only conceivable way that Canada would ever get to take part in a World Cup Final tournament?  Oh, dear.  Well, at least CONCACAF would have the problem-solving genius of Canadian soccer to deal with that situation, should it ever get that far.

Seriously, mate. Stop listening to the voices inside your head. They're telling you lies.

11 hours ago, Robert said:

Just imagine last year’s women’s final at BC Place without the USA in it?  There would only be 5,000 spectators in the stands.  

I could dissect most of your post, but I am short on time so I will just mention this one.

Most of the tickets were sold in BC Place for the women's final before the tournament even started.  It may already have been sold out, I don't have the info in front of me to say that for sure; however, it was at least 50,000 before the tournament started.

Most of the Americans that showed up specifically for the final were buying them in large numbers through the secondary and scalping market. Many locals who bought tickets flipped them due to the demand of the US fans coming up for that game.   It was happening all over the streets of Vancouver leading up to the game, as well as through the ticket brokers.  I was temped to scalp mine, but it was a World Cup final and I wanted to be part of it.  As i was walking to the stadium there were several times I was approached by people who drove up from the US and were asking around for tickets. Many locals took them up on their offer.

So, since 50,000+ wanted to go before the tournament even started, I would suggest the game would have been sold out regardless of who was in the stadium.  So even though you saw a majority of Americans at the final, most of them were not the original ticket buyers. Your implication that the stadium was empty until they snapped up all the tickets a few days before the final is a complete fabrication.

Perhaps some other people can dissect some of your other mis information.  This is my contribution.

PS   _  I can add a couple more points.....

Since you dislike Mr. Montagliani so much, I would think you should be cheering him on to get a CONCACAF job instead of attacking him for it.  I would think if you want him gone, this is a great way to see it happen.  I am not sure why, if you goal it to see him gone, why you would continue to rail on a possibility he goes there.  A Vulcan would be confused by this logic.

Your thought that Canada has no hope of qualifying for a World Cup unless we host it, is rapidly changing.  This is your opinion, and my opinion is we are in by  2022 at the latest.  Nobody can say what will happen.  HOWEVER< you seem to be strongly living in the past (say pre 2010) in your vitrol towards the CSA.  It really is a different situation in our nation that it was before 2010 and you need to do some research and catch up with the times.  If you do some detailed reseach on the landscape from top to bottom in 2009, and look at it in 2016 , it is almost a different country.  So much has happened in the last few years that is changing the direction of our program.  This direction takes years to show fruit, sorry that it might not happen in a singular game this year.  Any comparison from these two eras will show significant change; the most change in a time frame this size in the history of our nation.   You should check it out.

Actually, you should check out the facts a little more before you make these posts.  It would help you along the way.

THank you

Did anyone hear Montagliani on the Fan590 the other day? The host had no idea who he was. I didn't hear the complete interview but IMO Montagliani sounded arrogant, uneducated and unprepared - stating that his political stance is that he is not political.

My question is this: Montagliani and the CSA announced their intent to bid a couple of years ago.
If he is elected President of CONCACAF, can we still bid or is it a conflict of interest?

14 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Did anyone hear Montagliani on the Fan590 the other day? The host had no idea who he was. I didn't hear the complete interview but IMO Montagliani sounded arrogant, uneducated and unprepared - stating that his political stance is that he is not political.

My question is this: Montagliani and the CSA announced their intent to bid a couple of years ago.
If he is elected President of CONCACAF, can we still bid or is it a conflict of interest?

With FIFA anything is possible.  Just look at Qatar 2022.  Although that farce had lots of $$$ behind it, and Mr. Montagliani doesn't have 2 billion-dollar-bills to rub together.  I wonder how many millions of dollars the CSA is investing into the new Canadian Premiership?  Or are they still using all that money they made off of the Women's World Cup last year to pay-off the debts incurred by the previous CSA administration?

On 2016-02-24 at 10:24 AM, Robert said:

Just imagine last year’s women’s final at BC Place without the USA in it?  There would only be 5,000 spectators in the stands.

That makes the false assumption that most of the yanks who would buy tickets are fans of the USMNT. The genius of WC'94 and a tournament here in Canada, is that we can sell lots of tickets to the "auld country" brigades. Mexican-Americans, Italian-Americans, heck even groups like Swedish-Americans will gobble up tickets like they are gold if these teams qualify.

7 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

There are plenty of flaws with him just like any administrator.  In my opinion I have to look at the entire system from 2012 until now.  And there is a significant amount of progress, foundations, and unfolding ideas that he is worth supporting.

If we want to fire anyone that comes off as arrogant it is tough to find good leaders. To be a very good leader you have to often make tough calls and defend your position, be tough to people you manage, and also project complete confidence even when the situation doesn't look that way. 

For me, unless the guy is a disgrace in the way he treats others, I tend to look at the results more than "oh, he is arrogant , or abrupt, etc etc".  Most successful CEOS in business get called bad names by the majority of their employees.

7 hours ago, Robert said:

I wonder how many millions of dollars the CSA is investing into the new Canadian Premiership?  Or are they still using all that money they made off of the Women's World Cup last year to pay-off the debts incurred by the previous CSA administration?

Robert, the CSA debt up until 2007 was only in the 100's of thousands. Their net assets as of end of fiscal 2013 was $6M and likely up to 8 figures after the WWC.

On 2/25/2016 at 11:12 AM, Robert said:

.  I wonder how many millions of dollars the CSA is investing into the new Canadian Premiership?  Or are they still using all that money they made off of the Women's World Cup last year to pay-off the debts incurred by the previous CSA administration?

Um.......  I really think you should do a bit of basic research if you are going to say things like this.  None of us are encylopedias of information or fact checkers and this is an opinion based forum so nobody will expect you to pass an audit; however, comments like this can easily be refuted with just some basic looking.  You will get more people to listen if you check out the facts first, even on a basic level.

On 2/25/2016 at 2:00 PM, hodgkiss said:

I got to hear him at the Supporters meeting a year ago. He was definitely...informal but I'll give him credit for tryyying to connect with the people, if only for a limited time. 

From the little I read about the CONCACAF position. it doesn't seem like there's a lineup for it or even a big fight for it. 

I doubt the bid is a conflict. But if anyone has more info on it with relation between CONCACAF and FIFA I'd be curious as well.

On 2/26/2016 at 6:50 PM, jpg75 said:

Robert, the CSA debt up until 2007 was only in the 100's of thousands. Their net assets as of end of fiscal 2013 was $6M and likely up to 8 figures after the WWC.

When is the CSA going to stop operating like a clandestine orgazation and start disclosing their financial statements publicly like other honest, professional sports organizations do?

18 hours ago, Robert said:

When is the CSA going to stop operating like a clandestine orgazation and start disclosing their financial statements publicly like other honest, professional sports organizations do?

Are there other examples of Nations Federations disclosing numbers like that?

I remember Mr. Montagliani discussing the Womens team money vs the rest of the programs money at that Supporters meeting last year. That was clarifying for me.

Archived