Canada V Scotland 1967

Ronnie

Hello guys. I am currently researching a book on the Scotland national soccer team of the 1960s. It contains an appendix listing all line ups during the decade. After much research it is complete -  with one exception. I require the starting eleven from the match Canada V Scotland on June 13th 1967. I have the Scottish line up plus the goalscorers. I also have from the match program the names of the 18 man squad but not the chosen eleven - other than the goalscorers. The game was played  in Alexander Park, Winnipeg and the result was 7 goals to 2 for Scotland.

If any one of you can help it would be most appreciated and would complete the statistics.

Thank you for your time!

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hello guys. I am currently researching a book on the Scotland national soccer team of the 1960s. It contains an appendix listing all line ups during the decade. After much research it is complete -  with one exception. I require the starting eleven from the match Canada V Scotland on June 13th 1967. I have the Scottish line up plus the goalscorers. I also have from the match program the names of the 18 man squad but not the chosen eleven - other than the goalscorers. The game was played  in Alexander Park, Winnipeg and the result was 7 goals to 2 for Scotland.

If any one of you can help it would be most appreciated and would complete the statistics.

Thank you for your time!

Here are the goal scorers at least. 

http://www.11v11.com/matches/canada-v-scotland-13-june-1967-229848/

I know a couple guys in Winnipeg who are looking into it, but I might also suggest the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame at the OSA in Vaughn. 

Thanks for your replies guys. I have emailed Colin Jose jpg75 thanks for the tip.

In reply to gwsmith yes the matches are not classed as full internationals which is why the information is so hard to come by I guess! The match was part of a tour by the Scottish FA which included games in Israel, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand (NZ Under 23s), Auckland and prior to the Winnipeg game there was a match versus Vancouver All Stars which ended 4-1 for the Scots.

Here are the details 

10th June 1967 (Rescheduled from 11th June) VANCOUVER ALL STARS 1 (Hazeldine) SCOTLAND 4 (McCalliog X2, Ferguson, McLean (penalty))  Empire Stadium, Vancouver  VANCOUVER ALL STARS Ballam, Berry, Lennarduzzi, Hillman, Vassoler, Hazeldine, Thompson, Simpson, Smith, Ellett, Zanatta

SCOTLAND  Cruickshank (Hearts), Woodward (Arsenal), Tinney (Bury), Townsend (Hearts), McGrory (Kilmarnock), Fraser (West Bromwich Albion, Captain), McLean (Kilmarnock),  Hope (West Bromwich Albion), McCalliog (Sheffield Wednesday ), Ferguson (Dunfermline), Penman  (Rangers) 

Hi again Ronnie. 

You have already been in touch with Colin Jose, but just in case there's a detail here in addition to what he provides you, here are the contents of an email from Colin to Bobby McMahon to me. Bobby is based in Winnipeg and is still poking around. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he moved to Winnipeg from Scotland in the late 70s

Here is the email:

Hi Bobby,
I know  what you are talking about.  The request originated from Scottish soccer historian Andy Mitchell, who was asking on behalf of a friend who is writing a book.  In 1967 Scotland made a world tour and the team (not the full Scottish team) arrived in Vancouver from New Zealand.  The games were not, Scotland versus Canada, but a Scottish eleven verses a Canadian eleven.  So they were not full internationals. For Canada I think they were sort of trials for the Pan Am or Olympic team.   I looked at the micro-film of the Winnipeg Free Press and it doesn't even give the line ups.  They were also looking for the Canadian line up of the game in Vancouver, same thing.  
Now that I am closing in on 80 years of age, I donated much of my Canadian research to the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame last summer.  So it is in Vaughan, and that is 150 miles from London, where I now live.  So Les Jones, who lives in Toronto, is going to look through that.  The place it might be is in the Canadian Soccer News magazine that Eric King used to publish around that time.  I also found the Scottish line ups in a book, Scotland The Team by Andrew Ward.
As for what is in the Free Press I found that Art Kussner was in goal for the Canadian team, and Bob DiLuca, Tony Adams, Russ Hillman, Ike McKay, Jim Baird and Wayne Thompson were mentioned.  But I didn't look at the Winnipeg Tribune, which In should have done. Both are in the library at the University of Western Ontario.
You know I have spent many hundreds of hours in McMaster University and at Western researching the history of Canadian soccer, and its a pleasure researching the game before 1940.  Coverage is fantastic, and you can almost always find the line ups.  But at some point, perhaps in the 1950s, all newspapers, on both sides of the border, stopped publishing line ups on almost the same date, and that is a disaster.
But perhaps you have a contact in Winnipeg, who was at that game, or someone who has the program, if there was one.  Or perhaps someone who played.  
The next time I go to Western I will look at the Tribune, but I have told Andy Mitchell that it may be hard to find.
All the Best,
Colin.   

Ah, unofficial.   That's why I can't find the match in Jose's "Canadian Encyclopedia of Soccer : Keeping Score" and "International Line-ups & Statistics Series : Canada 1885-1995":(

Off topic but interesting that after Canada's 1st attempt at World Cup Qualifying in 1957, we didn't play an official match for a decade.  So we never attempted to qualify for Chile '62 (Wikipedia indicates Canada withdrew) or England '66 (no details).  The latter seems particularly odd with football's biggest event returning to the "mother country".  The CSA must have been particularly cash-strapped in those days. 

Hi Rob, Interesting that so many people have been assisting after my enquiry to Andy Mitchell!My gratitude to you all!

It would be fantastic to be able to complete the listings but don't go to too much trouble. If need be I can just list the squad with an asterix indicating those who I know for sure took part but it is rather frustratingly (at present) the only anomaly in the apendix along with the crowd for the Vancouver match! I am pretty much wrapping up the book and cross checking all the statistics but still have four weeks or so until I have to meet the publishers deadline at the end of March with the finished manuscript so still time if the information does surface.

Interestingly it looks as if Russ Hiilman took part in both the Vancouver and the Winnipeg games.

Thanks again to all concerned, much appreciated.

Ronnie

On February 24, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Ronnie said:

Hi Rob, Interesting that so many people have been assisting after my enquiry to Andy Mitchell!My gratitude to you all!

It would be fantastic to be able to complete the listings but don't go to too much trouble. If need be I can just list the squad with an asterix indicating those who I know for sure took part but it is rather frustratingly (at present) the only anomaly in the apendix along with the crowd for the Vancouver match! I am pretty much wrapping up the book and cross checking all the statistics but still have four weeks or so until I have to meet the publishers deadline at the end of March with the finished manuscript so still time if the information does surface.

Interestingly it looks as if Russ Hiilman took part in both the Vancouver and the Winnipeg games.

Thanks again to all concerned, much appreciated.

Ronnie

Ronnie, I have a couple scans that have been sent to me by Colin Crawford at the CSHoF that might add some information to your quest. If you could email me - measure1rob at gmail dot com - I can send them to you. 

Both Colin and Bobby McMahon in Winnipeg have searched multiple avenues if you ever have the opportunity to meet them :)

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, Ronnie said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I have emailed Colin Jose jpg75 thanks for the tip.

In reply to gwsmith yes the matches are not classed as full internationals which is why the information is so hard to come by I guess! The match was part of a tour by the Scottish FA which included games in Israel, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand (NZ Under 23s), Auckland and prior to the Winnipeg game there was a match versus Vancouver All Stars which ended 4-1 for the Scots.

Here are the details 

10th June 1967 (Rescheduled from 11th June) VANCOUVER ALL STARS 1 (Hazeldine) SCOTLAND 4 (McCalliog X2, Ferguson, McLean (penalty))  Empire Stadium, Vancouver  VANCOUVER ALL STARS Ballam, Berry, Lennarduzzi, Hillman, Vassoler, Hazeldine, Thompson, Simpson, Smith, Ellett, Zanatta

SCOTLAND  Cruickshank (Hearts), Woodward (Arsenal), Tinney (Bury), Townsend (Hearts), McGrory (Kilmarnock), Fraser (West Bromwich Albion, Captain), McLean (Kilmarnock),  Hope (West Bromwich Albion), McCalliog (Sheffield Wednesday ), Ferguson (Dunfermline), Penman  (Rangers) 

I wonder if the Zanatta is any relation to the young Canadian playing for the Jambos now?

Archived