Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MrsC

D'Angelo vs Labbe

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

So I'll be the first to admit that Labbe showed more than I thought she had, and I'm quite happy to be wrong. D'Angelo still has a lot of promise at 23 and I hope after this tournament she starts getting more game action. 

Labbé did enough good saves to earn her Commission today.  Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sport Shaman said:

Yep, Tanc is all washed up apparently. The benefit of 20-20 hindsight:)

***SPOILER ALERT!*** 

Please do not read my post if you haven't watched Canada vs Germany yet.

LOL... In the ONE game I don't want Canada to score, Tancredi scored twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrsC said:

So I'll be the first to admit that Labbe showed more than I thought she had, and I'm quite happy to be wrong. D'Angelo still has a lot of promise at 23 and I hope after this tournament she starts getting more game action. 

There's an old saying in sports that everyone's favourite player is the backup goalie, qb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-07-08 at 10:36 PM, Blackdude said:

I doubt that players who never got a look on youth teams who are CIS players would get a look in NWSL. 

Well last thing I heard was that Waldvogel has a trial with the Flash in February and did train wth the OSA and CSA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To tell the truth, I like the look of Sheridan.  She is a big and hopefully intimidating girl along the lines of KK.  When LeBlanc stopped making bonehead decisions and letting in soft ones that were volleyed over her from outside the box, she became much more effective.  I'd like to see what Sheridan can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

To tell the truth, I like the look of Sheridan.  She is a big and hopefully intimidating girl along the lines of KK.  When LeBlanc stopped making bonehead decisions and letting in soft ones that were volleyed over her from outside the box, she became much more effective.  I'd like to see what Sheridan can do.

I'm not sure if I should get into this but I should tell you that in my humble opinion Kailen Sheridan is the best goal keeper in college right now. There of course will be others that are going to disagree with me and say Jane Campbell who plays for Stanford is the best, but she does not have Sheridan's athleticism or her quickness.

Sheridan has athleticism, speed to cover the box, quick feet, so she can play with the ball outside the box and superior leg strength. She can kick 60 yard kicks which is really impressive to see. She also has amazing quick reflexes, she can make stops that other keepers cannot and make kick saves which requires quick reflexes.

I'm sure most of you know which school she plays for, The Clemson Tigers in South Carolina. But do you know what conference Clemson is located in? Its in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) The premier soccer conference in women's football. North Carolina winner of 22 championships, Florida State (won in 2014), Notre Dame (3 Championships), Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Boston College.

Clemson along with NC State have been the doormat for the ACC. They get thumped on by every other team in the conference, that is until Kailen Sheridan showed up. Her freshman year was a stand out year for her. She got shelled constantly but she already looked like one of the better keepers of the nation. Her second year, her sophomore year, she got her team into the ACC playoffs and also into the NCAA tournament in 2014. The first time since 2007. They have made it into the NCAA tournament now 2 years running. Clemson uses defense to win games. And much of that can be attributed to Kailen Sheridan. Even their offense goes through her frequently because if they can't get the ball to the midfield, the backs will pass to Sheridan and Sheridan will walk the ball outside the box and kick it down the field causing an immediate counter for her side.

To me, she is a starting caliber keeper for any team. Its whether teams will take a risk with her being a rookie to give her that job. I think Canada could help her a lot by allocating her immediately to a team so they would use her since she wouldn't eat into the salary cap. But Canada doesn't normally do that. They usually wait for a team to draft their player and then allocate her as a reward for taking a chance on their players.

Here are some videos on Kailen Sheridan. There are some Clemson fans that have broken down Sheridan's game into saves, box control, kicks and foot work. Its pretty impressive to see how much her team relies on her for the defense and offense. (Odd couldn't embed any videos but here are the links.)

2013 Freshman year. Already has the booming kick but you can see she has an all round game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7hN1bXMK0

2014 Sophomore year. She looks much more athletic here adding more muscle mass. She has complete control of her box. Great foot work as well.

 

2015 Junior year. Some impressive reflex saves on hard shots.

 

This is a training video from this year. She makes about 6 kick saves in this video, agility work. Rebound work and shot blocking.

 

Edited by Forgedias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ 1 ]  I think it would be better if an NWSL team would draft Kailen Sheridan first and then receive CSA allocation funding after the fact ( like Janine Beckie earlier this year).  There is the cautionary tale of Bryanna McCarthy ( fullback, WVU )  who was allocated, undrafted, straight out of college,  to the Western New York Flash in 2013, the inaugural season of the NWSL.  She was with the WNY Flash the  entire season and made only one 15-minute appearance. At least if a player goes through the NWSL college draft then there's a sense that the team did their own due diligence  and acquired that player sincerely. The player wasn't imposed on them.

[ 2 ]  Because unallocated Canadian players are considered internationals by the NWSL  it's not a given that Kailen Sheridan will be in the NWSL next year. That said,  I noticed that Sheridan did some training with Chelsea Ladies and  Hedvig Lindahl in July:

"  Lizze Durack (Harvard University and England U23s) and Kailen Sheridan (Clemson University and Canada) have both been guests in goalkeeper training with Chelsea ahead of the recent international break. "

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2016/06/chelsea-ladies-weekly-roundup-27062016.html

Maybe the FA WSL is in Sheridan's future?

[ 3 ] And maybe this  topic thread should be renamed:   D'Angelo vs Labbe vs Sheridan vs Foster vs Proulx ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

[ 1 ]  I think it would be better if an NWSL team would draft Kailen Sheridan first and then receive CSA allocation funding after the fact ( like Janine Beckie earlier this year).  There is the cautionary tale of Bryanna McCarthy ( fullback, WVU )  who was allocated, undrafted, straight out of college,  to the Western New York Flash in 2013, the inaugural season of the NWSL.  She was with the WNY Flash the  entire season and made only one 15-minute appearance. At least if a player goes through the NWSL college draft then there's a sense that the team did their own due diligence  and acquired that player sincerely. The player wasn't imposed on them.

[ 2 ]  Because unallocated Canadian players are considered internationals by the NWSL  it's not a given that Kailen Sheridan will be in the NWSL next year. That said,  I noticed that Sheridan did some training with Chelsea Ladies and  Hedvig Lindahl in July:

"  Lizze Durack (Harvard University and England U23s) and Kailen Sheridan (Clemson University and Canada) have both been guests in goalkeeper training with Chelsea ahead of the recent international break. "

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2016/06/chelsea-ladies-weekly-roundup-27062016.html

Maybe the FA WSL is in Sheridan's future?

[ 3 ] And maybe this  topic thread should be renamed:   D'Angelo vs Labbe vs Sheridan vs Foster vs Proulx ?

Which is even more rare to have a team draft a Canadian international keeper right out of college like Western New York did and use an international slot. Canada next year then allocated Sabrina D'Angelo which is very helpful in the salary department. And WNY Flash are in the NWSL championship game so who knows D'Angelo might be winning a Championship soon. They upset the favorite Portland Thorns with all their superstars. Using a ton of speed to destroy them on the flanks and those stupid long throw ins to create havoc in the box.

Edited by Forgedias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

      ^ It is rare,  and herein lies a complaint about the NWSL;  that the Canadian player is deemed  to be an international player. Consequently, it’s harder for  a nationally ranked Canadian player coming out  of NCAA div 1  to be  drafted into the NWSL ( relative to their American counterparts ). These  NWSL  international roster spots are few in number  and  are  better used by their  NWSL clubs in acquiring older proven international players who likely  have many appearances  for  their  respective senior national teams  and many seasons of  playing club soccer in a high level league.  This year, 2016,  no nationally ranked  Canadian-born  NCAA div 1 player was drafted into the NWSL ( overlooking a player like Kinley McNicoll  ).  In next year's  NWSL college draft, Kailen Sheridan is  NOT  competing with Rose Lavelle or  Savannah Jordan to get into the NWSL,  rather Kailen  Sheridan  is competing with the likes of a Kim Little ,  a Jess Fishlock , or an  Amandine Henry   to get into the NWSL.  So. it’s anyone’s guess, if an NWSL team will  use a precious international roster spot on an inexperienced  Canadian college prospect.  Hence , without a CSA allocation, Kailen Sheridan  may not be in the NWSL next year.

     Sabrina D’Angelo  was very  lucky . 2015 was a WWC  year and the NWSL  had the problem  of  replacing  the many  players  who were going to that tournament .  In response, the NWSL raised the international spots to four  from three, and many  clubs filled these spots with players who would not be going to the WWC .  Because of this NEED  for players,  many draftees  and internationals  were given an opportunity to play in 2015. But in a different  year,  I’m unsure  Sabrina D”Angelo even  gets drafted into the NWSL .

      I don’t know what the CSA’s position is on Kailen Sheridan . It’s possible that if she were drafted by an NWSL club next year  that the  CSA  will automatically  pick up the cost and allocate her  to the  NWSL--   just like Janine Beckie. But it may be the case that  the CSA wants to see Kailen Sheridan  get into a top womens league --on her own -- and play consistently well BEFORE they  decide  to give her  allocation funding to play in the NWSL.  This was the position that CSA took with Allysha Chapman, Shelina  Zadorsky  AND  Sabrina D’Angelo .  It’s notable that in 2015  the CSA   did NOT  support Sabrina D’Angelo  in her first NWSL season.  They clearly wanted to see if she could play a full season of high level club soccer before making any decisions on her.  Then on the strength of her  good  NWSL rookie  season the CSA subsequently brought Sabrina D’Angelo   into the senior side  and allocated her   to the NWSL  in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D'Angelo just made three PK Saves and won the MVP award leading her team to the NWSL Championship while Labbe sat on the bench for the Spirit.  I think benching Labbe was a questionable decision but there is no denying that D'Angelo has a ton of promise.  She made some mistakes in this game, but ultimately she is the reason her young team won the championship. I really want to see her get some significant minutes for Canada because I believe with time and refining her decisions, she can be an incredible keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrsC said:

D'Angelo just made three PK Saves and won the MVP award leading her team to the NWSL Championship while Labbe sat on the bench for the Spirit.  I think benching Labbe was a questionable decision but there is no denying that D'Angelo has a ton of promise.  She made some mistakes in this game, but ultimately she is the reason her young team won the championship. I really want to see her get some significant minutes for Canada because I believe with time and refining her decisions, she can be an incredible keeper.

Many times an inefficient defense forces goalkeepers to make the wrong positional moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...