D'Angelo vs Labbe

MrsC

Should be interesting to see how it pans out... Hoping he adds some young blood to the roster. Labbe is useless. Sheridan is good. D'angelo is also a solid contender. There should be some fresh legs in the NWSL like karlee Waldvogel and Chris Bandura next season so should be interesting to see if he brings any Canadian keepers from there with him to France...

Edited by banksonwerd

7 minutes ago, banksonwerd said:

Should be interesting to see how it pans out... Hoping he adds some young blood to the roster. Labbe is useless. Sheridan is good. D'angelo is also a solid contender. There should be some fresh legs in the NWSL like karlee Waldvogel and Chris Bandura next season so should be interesting to see if he brings any Canadian keepers from there with him to France...

?

The roster is set for the Olympics. He is bringing Labbé and D'Angelo http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-women-s-national-soccer-team-nominated-for-rio-2016-p159642

10 minutes ago, banksonwerd said:

I doubt that players who never got a look on youth teams who are CIS players would get a look in NWSL. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just wondering what the agenda is behind the Labbe hate?  She's the best that we have aside from McLeod so why the hate?  Obviously Herdman is braindead to not listen to people on internet forums.

Herdman is an obstinate individual.  I don't expect him to pay attention to internet forums, but when asking for ideas from former players, I would expect him to consider them.  Insofar as Labbé, I have been following her for years and at age 29 she should have learned the position.  She has improved but she is far from ideal.  Even LeBlanc has reservations about her.  D'Angelo seems to inspire far more confidence, something crucial for the defenders in front of her.

I don't hate Labbé, and think she should stay as the No.1, but she isn't great on high balls in the box.  She needs to be more aggressive and decisive.  She often doesn't take balls she should, or gets there too late when she tries.  It leaves the players in doubt as to what they should be doing themselves.  It's something that can be fixed, though.  Maybe KK can give her some pointers.

^Thanks for a reasonable answer.  I would have to disagree on KK though.  I liked her aggression but she made some boneheaded plays on just what you were describing.  In fact I would say that was her main weakness but I do recall she did improve on that.  That was a loooong time ago, McLeod really had a lock on the position.

I'm a little biased towards Labbe from a tournament in Brazil quite a few years back that we won and she stood on her head and was actually the number one for a time.  That's also where I came to admire Belanger, they were two who came out to play in a hostile environment. The first game (of two) Canada fielded a whole team of young players that didn't start in the second game and tied Brazil IIRC

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

I certainly don't hate Labbe either. But her instinct to punch balls that are catchable makes me very uncomfortable and has led to giving away cheap goals in the past. Recently she's been steadier so here's hoping that her improvement continues and that she has a solid tournament.

31 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I certainly don't hate Labbe either. But her instinct to punch balls that are catchable makes me very uncomfortable and has led to giving away cheap goals in the past. Recently she's been steadier so here's hoping that her improvement continues and that she has a solid tournament.

It might have taken some time to become more familiar with her NT teammates.  Let's face it, there's been basically Erin and she didn't like to share so it wasn't like other keepers were getting too many shots at the main gig.  Even KK I don't think played too much in her later years.

We had such a glut of good keepers and only one job which may have been part of the the reason Taryn Swiatek left the game.  I thought she could have become the best of the lot.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, sting said:

We must be watching two different games. She was missing quite a few balls. Didn't seem to know when

to come out or stay back. I'm not sold on her at all.

Without a doubt Labbe is the weakest player in the team.

4 hours ago, The Ref said:

Clean sheet, 22 shots on goal (12 on target), down a player and the above post.  Mid season candidate for most ridiculous post of the year.

Will this stupidity continue if /when we lose to Germany, a team that should likely beat us?

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Clean sheet, 22 shots on goal (12 on target), down a player and the above post.  Mid season candidate for most ridiculous post of the year.

Will this stupidity continue if /when we lose to Germany, a team that should likely beat us?

So who is the weakest link in that 18 player squad then? If you say it isn't Labbé, pick from amongst the 17 other players.

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So who is the weakest link in that 18 player squad then? If you say it isn't Labbé, pick from amongst the 17 other players.

I support the team and don't speculate on garbage like that especially now and also we're not there and don't know the circumstances of those involved

It wouldn't matter if Labbe played the best game of the tournament the poster in question has a personal agenda against her just as they long have with the CSA.  Anything they do wouldn't matter.

I just watched the game again and suggest others do the same. 

And the worst part is, if we lose to Germany (one of the best teams in the world) with a fair possibility that they could make us (or any team look bad) we'll be seeing the chorus of "I told you so" 

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.  Haterz gotta hate

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

On 2016-08-04 at 5:57 PM, The Ref said:

Labbe - Clean sheet, 22 shots, (12 on target), down a player and the above post.  Mid season candidate for most ridiculous post of the year.

D'Angelo - Allows a goal, 6 shots, 1 shot on goal

Hmmmmmm?  And the worst part is I think you would hope that Germany cleans our clock with Labbe in the net.

Ok, i fell asleep and missed the last 20 minutes vs Zimbabwe, I thought we shut them out.  I just saw the last goal, are you f'n kidding me, re this thread?  At first I thought the Zimbabwean put it into her own net, it was such a boner.

Can we end this Labbe hate please and get behind the team.  Whoever is in the net for the next game is gonna have a rough time no matter who it is.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

23 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So you haven't been reading the other thread then? Buchanan's card was intentional

Allegedly intentional. Although I suspect you're correct. 

Steve Sandor had a good article and I think his take, that she was clearing out her card situation to be less of a risk for the knockout round, is a more likely reason than purposefully missing Germany game to finish 2nd. However it helps to sort of kill 2 birds with one stone now, doesn't it. 

So I'll be the first to admit that Labbe showed more than I thought she had, and I'm quite happy to be wrong. D'Angelo still has a lot of promise at 23 and I hope after this tournament she starts getting more game action.