D'Angelo vs Labbe

MrsC

I'm dumbfounded why Herdman keeps choosing Labbe over D'Angelo.  Any insights into what he is seeing?  The only thing I can think of is D'Angleo possibly hasn't recovered well from her injury last summer.  Hopefully the coming NWSL season will be illuminating.  If Labbe is truly the best #2 option we have, then we have a real problem.

I have watched Labbe for a while. At pan am in Hammer, she was one of the most senior people on the team and showed no leadership.  Watched her at the games and she was not loud, confident and didn't control the box like an experienced keeper should 

Today, several goals could have gone past her and she plays goalie like a keeper from a minnow team we tend to easily beat. 

2 hours ago, MrsC said:

over D'Angelo.

Labbé was really poor compared to McLeod. Karina keeps defending her and praising her but I just don't see her talent.

How often have we seen D'Angelo play though? It's hard to compare the two when D'Angelo gets no playing time. At this point even if D'Angelo is just as bad as Labbé (or worse), I'd give her a shot so she can at least prove herself at the senior level.

33 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Labbé was really poor compared to McLeod. Karina keeps defending her and praising her but I just don't see her talent.

How often have we seen D'Angelo play though? It's hard to compare the two when D'Angelo gets no playing time. At this point even if D'Angelo is just as bad as Labbé (or worse), I'd give her a shot so she can at least prove herself at the senior level.

I've seen D'Angelo play lots for her NWSL team and she looked solid and confident.  She was with the Canada program previously at a younger age and was tops back then. 

22 hours ago, MrsC said:

I'm dumbfounded why Herdman keeps choosing Labbe over D'Angelo.  Any insights into what he is seeing?  The only thing I can think of is D'Angleo possibly hasn't recovered well from her injury last summer.  Hopefully the coming NWSL season will be illuminating.  If Labbe is truly the best #2 option we have, then we have a real problem.

The issue is Herdman he is a used car salesman not a coach . D'Angelo should of started this tournament from the start as she clearly hands down is the best of all three keepers .

3 hours ago, 67soccer said:

The issue is Herdman he is a used car salesman not a coach . D'Angelo should of started this tournament from the start as she clearly hands down is the best of all three keepers .

I've talked to a half dozen people who either have worked with Herdman or otherwise have inside information about the program and they have all disputed this.

On 2/22/2016 at 9:06 PM, rob.notenboom said:

There were many crosses that (it appeared) were hers to claim and she either punched them, flapped at them, or missed them altogether. It was a disappointing performance and I wonder if these deficiencies are ones she can address. 

Not at her age. She is old enough that she should be beyond it. Granted she hasn't got much playing time at the national team level. But even at the Pan Ams playing against mostly younger players, she was the same and even got red carded.

Karina did blame Labbe on the first goal and a couple other plays. But she has the former teammate syndrome - afraid to criticize her friends. Plus she seems to be working for the CSA, so it is conflict 24/7 with her when she is doing broadcasts for CBC & Sportsnet.

12 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I've talked to a half dozen people who either have worked with Herdman or otherwise have inside information about the program and they have all disputed this.

disputed exactly ??

if your building from your youth and in this case Mcleod is 32 , labbe 29, D'Angelo 22 , you would think that your brightest and youngest Star would be controlling the pipes . 

12 minutes ago, 67soccer said:

disputed exactly ??

if your building from your youth and in this case Mcleod is 32 , labbe 29, D'Angelo 22 , you would think that your brightest and youngest Star would be controlling the pipes . 

That Herdman is just a salesman. They've all said he's great with selling his ideas but so much more. 

I'm not saying they're right mind you. And admittedly it's a small sample space I've had access to. Maybe he's just gotten them all to drink the cool aid. I'm just passing on what they've said about him. But it's been a couple coaches, a couple players, and a couple parents, and they are quite convinced that he's the right person for the job. If there were no coaches in the mix, I would give it less weight. 

The choice of goalie was not the biggest problem in the final. Tactics and how the game was played were the problems. It was embarrassing to see the team switch back to tactics used years and years ago. The announcer used the term 'blood bath' at least five times. (BTW I turned off the sound as I didn't want to hear it both personally for my daughters sake) Physicality is typically used when true skills are at a minimum. Playing minnows in this tournament that some U18 club teams could likely beat and playing like we did in the final is not conducive to inspiring the youth to learn the play the game properly. 

53 minutes ago, spidoo said:

The choice of goalie was not the biggest problem in the final. Tactics and how the game was played were the problems. It was embarrassing to see the team switch back to tactics used years and years ago. The announcer used the term 'blood bath' at least five times. (BTW I turned off the sound as I didn't want to hear it both personally for my daughters sake) Physicality is typically used when true skills are at a minimum. Playing minnows in this tournament that some U18 club teams could likely beat and playing like we did in the final is not conducive to inspiring the youth to learn the play the game properly. 

You may be aware, but 'blood bath' was a reference to an interview with Hope Solo where she said playing Canada was always a bloodbath. 

Of course I'd prefer the announcers forget that Hope Solo exists. Constantly referencing her is just feeding the troll. 

22 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

You may be aware, but 'blood bath' was a reference to an interview with Hope Solo where she said playing Canada was always a bloodbath. 

Of course I'd prefer the announcers forget that Hope Solo exists. Constantly referencing her is just feeding the troll. 

I was aware of it, but the announcer seemed to emphasize the physical side of our game continually and seemed to be proud of it. Initially, she used the term and did point out that Hope said it. It was the continuing use of the term in reference to how we were playing that I took offence to. 

1 hour ago, spidoo said:

I was aware of it, but the announcer seemed to emphasize the physical side of our game continually and seemed to be proud of it. Initially, she used the term and did point out that Hope said it. It was the continuing use of the term in reference to how we were playing that I took offence to. 

Gotcha :)

• 3 weeks later...

According to this article  Erin McLeod  has " suffered a partial tear in her anterior cruciate ligament. "  and that  she will be making a decision about getting surgery after the Easter weekend. Consequently,  the article suggests that McLeod will likely  be unavailable to play  for Canada  in the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.

http://playingfor90.com/2016/03/25/canwnt-erin-mcleod-suffers-acl-injury/