2016 Pacific Coast Soccer League (B.C.)

• 3 weeks later...

If we numbered it this way it would be 5th division:

D1: MLS

D2: NASL (maybe CanPL when they come?)

D3: USL, L1O, PSLQ

D4: PDL,

D5: PCSL

It is senior amateur and combines the men from the men's amateur league and CIS kids home for the summer.

11 hours ago, ted said:

If we numbered it this way it would be 5th division:

D1: MLS

D2: NASL (maybe CanPL when they come?)

D3: USL, L1O, PSLQ

D4: PDL,

D5: PCSL

It is senior amateur and combines the men from the men's amateur league and CIS kids home for the summer.

For those that had the chance to see both USL Pro and L1O/PSLQ....Which offers higher quality of play? I'm assuming USL Pro....

On 03/03/2016 at 3:34 PM, ted said:

^ Yes I am describing the Canadian Pyramid which is the point of the discussion.

Since there are now Canadian teams in MLS, NASL and USL, I think a separate Canadian pyramid in which provincial leagues are "D3" is a bit silly. USL is far, far ahead of Canadian provincial leagues.

6 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

Since there are now Canadian teams in MLS, NASL and USL, I think a separate Canadian pyramid in which provincial leagues are "D3" is a bit silly. USL is far, far ahead of Canadian provincial leagues.

I would tend to rank the USL teams higher for sure but according to the CSA they are D3.

4 hours ago, ted said:

I would tend to rank the USL teams higher for sure but according to the CSA they are D3.

There's a Canadian soccer pyramid page on Wikipedia that states this, but I haven't seen the CSA formally call the USL "D3". Can you provide a link to an example? There's no way they can hold L1O/PLSQ and USL on par.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I was talking about L1O and the PLSQ. Arguing that the USL teams are lower than these leagues is absurd.

I never said that they weren't at a higher level. I said that they are reserve teams, but are people saying that the Reserve Premier League is D3 because it's a higher level than League Two? No

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I never said that they are not playing in a reserve league in the US' eyes. I said that they are playing in a reserve league in the CSA's eyes. 

I really have no idea WTF you are talking about now.  USL is not a "reserve league" and is not considered such by the CSA. Individual teams are considered part of the parent teams structure and are referred to as "reserve teams".

USL is D3 whether you like it or not and is on the same level STRUCTURALLY as L1O and PLSQ.  Not that it really matters one fucking bit to this discussion as the PCSL is "below" both of them in any structure you can possibly imagine.

31 minutes ago, ted said:

I really have no idea WTF you are talking about now.  USL is not a "reserve league" and is not considered such by the CSA. Individual teams are considered part of the parent teams structure and are referred to as "reserve teams".

USL is D3 whether you like it or not and is on the same level STRUCTURALLY as L1O and PLSQ.  Not that it really matters one fucking bit to this discussion as the PCSL is "below" both of them in any structure you can possibly imagine.

USL isn't D3 in Canada because there are no first teams in USL, only reserve teams. You're saying it's D3. I've never seen CSA say it'S D3 and if you're saying that it is please show me where. 

29 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

USL isn't D3 in Canada because there are no first teams in USL, only reserve teams. You're saying it's D3. I've never seen CSA say it'S D3 and if you're saying that it is please show me where. 

OFFS It is a cross-border league like NASL and MLS. It is sanctioned as D3 by the USSF and has teams with no MLS affiliation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_League

Putting it below or even equal to the PCSL in the hierarchy is too stupid for words.

1 minute ago, ted said:

OFFS It is a cross-border league like NASL and MLS. It is sanctioned as D3 by the USSF and has teams with no MLS affiliation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_League

Putting it below or even equal to the PCSL in the hierarchy is too stupid for words.

USL isn't on the CSA pyramid. That's what I'm telling you. I never said that it was D4 or anything. You're implying that. It just isn't. Right now, the only leagues that have acknowledge that are D1/D2/D3 are those 4 below.

1) MLS

2) NASL

3) L1O/PLSQ

If you show me somewhere that another league has been ranked as a division somewhere, please tell me. But not because USSF says so that it's true for the CSA.

Sure, whatever, can we get back to the whole point of this bloody thread: where the PCSL fits into the hierarchy. 

Do you disagree with the actual point I was trying to make or would you place the PCSL at a different place in the pyramid?

4 hours ago, ted said:

Sure, whatever, can we get back to the whole point of this bloody thread: where the PCSL fits into the hierarchy. 

Do you disagree with the actual point I was trying to make or would you place the PCSL at a different place in the pyramid?

I don't know much about that league. I don't know if it's worse or better than L1O/PLSQ.

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I don't know much about that league. I don't know if it's worse or better than L1O/PLSQ.

I'd personally place it alongside your other top-level provincial amateur leagues (ie. OSL, LSEQ), but I'm really only basing that on its amateur status.

It might have ranked higher back in the day when it was a cross-border league but I don't know that it's at that point anymore.  Tough to tell since they don't seem to be entering the BC provincial cup anymore, though I don't know whether that's because they're too low to qualify, they're too high to qualify, or there's some rift/antipathy between them and BC Soccer.

They'd be somewhere below Div 3, but since there's no real guideline (CSA or otherwise) below Div 3, it's tough to say where exactly they fit in.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the PCSL is an amateur NCAA compliant summer league, I would say if the CSA were to designate it (which they do not) it would be fourth Division. However, even the USSF does not designate anything below the third division in the USA. I agree, as such a format is too transient to be considered a division even though it certainly is a league. 

As for comparing US league standards to Canadian ones (which is an entirely different topic) the gauge there would be the Highlanders considering their "Senior" team the PDL one and their "reserves" the PCSL one. 

Also, even though its wikipedia, I really like the way this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_Canadian_soccer is set up. 

Edit: So I would say the Canadian pyramid looks like that, and the PCSL and PDL are not true fourth divisions in either USA or Canada.

Archived