2004 Blz Richardson Stadium Kingston 5123
1985 Gua Royal Athletic Park Victoria 5000

1996 Cub Commonwealth Edmonton 4900
2004 CRC Swangard Stadium Burnaby 4728
1968 Ber Varsity Stadium Toronto 4131
1992 Ber Swangard Stadium Burnaby 4093
2000 Pan Winnipeg Soccer Complex 3000
1985 Hai Royal Athletic Park Victoria 2886

^ Not that it's likely, but if it's anywhere near a sell out it would be more than all three 2012 home games in the same round put together.

I wonder what the record is for a soccer game in Canada in general?

I know the Impact have had some ~50K crowds for CCL games, Inter Milan friendly, MLS era home opener, etc.

@BrennanFan... where did you track down this list! Nice work!

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

^ Not that it's likely, but if it's anywhere near a sell out it would be more than all three 2012 home games in the same round put together.

I know the Impact have had some ~50K crowds for CCL games, Inter Milan friendly, MLS era home opener, etc.

Go on Twitter, Canada soccers twitter account released a game day program prior to the Honduras game with all sorts of statistics. Search "issuu Canada soccer"

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

1976 olympic soccer gold medal match is the largest ever soccer game attended in canada. 71,617

12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

1993 Mex Varsity Stadium Toronto 12,000

This has to be wrong.  I was at this game and it was close to being sold out.  I am sure that the CSA (I looked at their database) has this wrong...

The videos on youtube show a full Varsity Stadium, so the attendance was probably around 19,000. 

LA Times had the attendance as a sellout (19,200) which makes more sense.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-10/sports/sp-33475_1_world-cup

7 hours ago, Toje said:

This has to be wrong.  I was at this game and it was close to being sold out.  I am sure that the CSA (I looked at their database) has this wrong...

The videos on youtube show a full Varsity Stadium, so the attendance was probably around 19,000. 

LA Times had the attendance as a sellout (19,200) which makes more sense.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-10/sports/sp-33475_1_world-cup

I was also at this match on a hot sunny Sunday in May. Bunbury scored the first goal and we were dreaming of heading to USA 94. But instead lost at 3am in penalty kicks in the 2nd leg in Australia a few months later.

It was at Varsity when capacity was closer to 27k. It was mostly Mexicans from Chicago but Varsity was packed.

I was at the Mexico match as well in 1993 (with lowlander from these boards and well before even the Network 54 site, no matter the Voyageurs). It was packed but I think Varsity was only around 19,000 in those days, and as you say, there were more Mexicans than Canadians.  Unfortunately, we couldn't hold the lead (even though Pesch scored another that was wrongly ruled off side). 

8 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

We might be able to get a sellout for an important game in the hex next year.

Of coarse we will. So many fans would jump on the hype train if we made it to the hex.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Of coarse we will. So many fans would jump on the hype train if we made it to the hex.

The importance of making the hex right now can't be overstated. Following up the WWC, to have another big event over the next year or so would give the CSA such a platform to build from. Good crowds for these games, CanPL announcement ... perfect storm if it all goes right. 

But to keep myself from jinxing it - What am I saying? This is Canadian soccer. It can't actually all go right can it?

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

But to keep myself from jinxing it - What am I saying? This is Canadian soccer. It can't actually all go right can it?

Problem is, this optimism beyond the hardcore supporters is still very new and very fragile.  We have to make the Hex in order for that to carry over into the future.  There will be a lot of people shitting on the program again if we get busted out .  Absolutely crucial for the growth of support in this country to make this game in March count.

14 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

This March game should get to 35 - 38 I would think... new record...awesome to see

We might be able to get a sellout for an important game in the hex next year.

I think it'll be over 40K. Last week the CSA announced over 32K sold. I've been tracking ticketmaster everyday and the upper bowl seats keep moving. With a month and a half to go still lots of time to push over 40K.

4 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Problem is, this optimism beyond the hardcore supporters is still very new and very fragile.  We have to make the Hex in order for that to carry over into the future.  There will be a lot of people shitting on the program again if we get busted out .  Absolutely crucial for the growth of support in this country to make this game in March count.

Yes, making it through is very important, and the timing is fantastic if we do it.

Making it through is definitely important. Putting in a credible performance against Mexico is just as important. We don't necessarily have to win or draw, but taking a spanking from Mexico in front of 40,000 of our newest friends will deflate the bubble of optimism right quick. We have to show that we at least belong on the same pitch as the region's best team if we want people to show up for El Salvador in September. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Making it through is definitely important. Putting in a credible performance against Mexico is just as important. We don't necessarily have to win or draw, but taking a spanking from Mexico in front of 40,000 of our newest friends will deflate the bubble of optimism right quick. We have to show that we at least belong on the same pitch as the region's best team if we want people to show up for El Salvador in September. 

Yes I was thinking this too. A solid performance where we have a chance to win is still a positive. But making the hex is such a potential springboard. An entire array of meaningful games against good opponents. It's hard to imagine.

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes I was thinking this too. A solid performance where we have a chance to win is still a positive. But making the hex is such a potential springboard. An entire array of meaningful games against good opponents. It's hard to imagine.

With the way Honduras is looking lately, I think Canada will finish 2nd in this group.  We are good enough, especially with the new additions, to do it.

I believe we are good enough to get to 4th in the Hex and get that playoff with a beatable AFC team. I wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago; and haven't felt that way for a long long time.

5 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

With the way Honduras is looking lately, I think Canada will finish 2nd in this group.  We are good enough, especially with the new additions, to do it.

I believe we are good enough to get to 4th in the Hex and get that playoff with a beatable AFC team. I wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago; and haven't felt that way for a long long time.

I'm personally more worried about El Salvador than Honduras at the moment. So much hangs in the balance. 

Archived