Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

Canada vs Albania - June 5th (possibly in Munich or Austria?)

Recommended Posts

Canada vs Albania on Sunday June 5th

http://fax.al/read/news/2618974/11041563/shqiperia-miqesore-me-kanadane-me-5-qershor

Albania's EURO Qualification record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_I

Somebody already included it in their 2016 wikipedia game calendar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_national_football_team (as taking place in Munich, Germany)

http://fax.al/read/news/2623050/11043431/kombetarja-e-shqiperise-do-te-luaje-kunder-kanadase (this link says it will take place in Austria)

I will edit this post as more info becomes available.

Really good match IMO. Well done CSA/Floro. The FIFA dates are from Monday May 30th to Tuesday June 7th.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, canadianfoot said:

Ohhh ****.  No cake walk this one our boys better get ready to get bruised up...

Albania are ranked below Mexico, Costa Rica & the USA but above everybody else in CONCACAF in FIFA rankings

In the ELO rankings here: http://www.eloratings.net/ they are just below T&T and Panama are above them as well.

This is just about the level we have to be better than to make it to/through the HEX. A good test for our last FIFA date before September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Imo Albania are overrated and are the worst team in the Euros this year. I'm not saying we are better than them but it wouldn't  that big of a shock if we came up with a win.

I don't think anyone overrates Albania at all (probably because so few people on this board follow them closely.  But any team in the European Championships are there are merit and would consider a draw against Albania would be a very good result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a bit of the game where they beat Portugal in Portugal. Like a lot of the lower level European teams, they're solid and well-organized and challenged offensively. I would expect the game vs. Canada to be a snoozefest unfortunately and a tie to be a good result.

One thing I've noticed about watching the Euro qualifiers this time around is how hard-working the smaller teams are nowadays. I always feel Canada's work ethic is relatively inadequate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, canta15 said:

Imo Albania are overrated and are the worst team in the Euros this year. I'm not saying we are better than them but it wouldn't  that big of a shock if we came up with a win.

Maybe they are the worst team in the euros, but a win over Portugal and two draws against Denmark during qualifying  puts them a few levels above us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sam said:

So if this game does happen there's a very good chance I'll be there. Any other European based Vee's or people who want a nice summer vacation in Austria or Munich? 

If my thesis wasn't due 5 days later I would make my way over from Manchester. But alas, I'll be stressing out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sam said:

So if this game does happen there's a very good chance I'll be there. Any other European based Vee's or people who want a nice summer vacation in Austria or Munich? 

If it is in Vienna (or close to it), I might be able to make a day trip from the Czech Republic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Albanian Football Federation (FSHF) has officially announced a friendly against Qatar on May 29th in Kapfenberg Austria.
http://www.fshf.org/index.php/sq/lajme/3270-kombetarja-miqesorja-tjeter-me-katarin

The Federation states that another friendly will be played and that it will be announced in the coming days. Albanian media are sticking to the rumour that it will be Canada on June 5th http://www.supersport.al/shqiperia-miqesore-me-katarin-me-29-maj/ that they will soon make official.

A random wikipedia editor thinks that it won't be played on neutral ground but rather in northern Albania at Loro Boriçi Stadium. I can find no proof for their edit.

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2016 at 8:45 AM, rightback said:

I saw a bit of the game where they beat Portugal in Portugal. Like a lot of the lower level European teams, they're solid and well-organized and challenged offensively. I would expect the game vs. Canada to be a snoozefest unfortunately and a tie to be a good result.

One thing I've noticed about watching the Euro qualifiers this time around is how hard-working the smaller teams are nowadays. I always feel Canada's work ethic is relatively inadequate.

 

Ah, a bit harsh, maybe.  But harsh just 'cause of our lack of frequency of play.  A built in excuse perhaps but not an unreasonable one. 

Unfair to beat up a collection of players who're unsure as to the mind or play of their team mates.  That isn't necessarily lack of commitment or effort as much as hesitant and uncertain play.  An "A leads to B" sort of thing.

Point taken though.  And as mentioned, from a different angle, not an unreasonable one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense for Albania to play their last friendly before the Euros at home, but from a selfish point of view I would still like to see the game in the Vienna area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us from a WCQ preparation point of view it would be better to play in Albania than Vienna with the away game in Honduras coming up, ie. playing in a hostile stadium environment in a country with some difficult conditions outside the pitch as opposed to playing in a country where everything is easy and in a mostly empty stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

For us from a WCQ preparation point of view it would be better to play in Albania than Vienna with the away game in Honduras coming up, ie. playing in a hostile stadium environment in a country with some difficult conditions outside the pitch as opposed to playing in a country where everything is easy and in a mostly empty stadium.

Agreed.  To up the hostility, maybe our players and staff all wear Serbia tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toje said:

Another update....

Albania is still looking at Canada, but there is a possibility that they will be able to arrange a friendly with a team that qualified for Euro 2016.

http://www.panorama-sport.com/shqiperia-tjeter-miqesore-modeste-ndaj-luksemburgut/

Seems so Canadian that were somebody's second choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...