59 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

In Comparison,  top players from the 1995s

1. Cyle Larin Centre-Forward €5.50m 

2. Richie Laryea, Right-Back €2.50m 

3. Sam Adekugbe, Left-Back €400Th. 

4. Juan Córdova, Right-Back €500Th. 

5. Raheem Edwards, Left Winger, €300Th. 

6. Michael Petrasso. Right Midfield, €200Th. 

7. Fraser Aird, Right Midfield, €250Th. 

8. Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé, Central Midfield, €175Th.

9. Manny Aparicio, Attacking Midfield, €150Th.

10. Louis Béland-Goyette, Central Midfield, €200Th. 

11. Nico Pasquotti, Right Winger €200Th.  

12. Mastanabal Kacher, Left Winger, €175Th. 

There’s quite a few 94’s in there but definitely a lost generation and one that wasn’t so good.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baldi, Ayo, Okello, maybe Dunn are all good prospects. Not everyone can be Davies or David.

As per usual, Desjardins has been forgotten... 😢Can't wait for you people to start rating him and considering him as a real prospect! lol He's been given jersey #1 for the senior team at 19!!

2000, Canada’s Golden year.        Transfermarkt value in brackets (m = millions, t = thousands) 1. Alphonso Davies: (49.5m)Defender, Bayern Munich, Germany Tier 1: 27 games, 2 goals, 3 assists i

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

There’s quite a few 94’s in there but definitely a lost generation and one that wasn’t so good.

Again, I would maybe challenge that.  Larin and Laryea are starting-quality CMNT players, with fringe guys like Adekugbe and Cordova still potentially getting there.   Is that a “lost generation” or is it about what we can expect - to have 2-4 CMNT level players emerge from each cohort.   

It bears repeating- we aren’t going to Phonzies and Davids each and every time.  I am not sure what the expectations are in terms of annual additions to our real CMNT player pool but neither the 1995 or the 2000 cohort seems underwhelming to me.  Four of those guys could be in our starting 11 most days.  

Yeah I agree, in fact I'd say that that 2016 was the start of an upward trend for Canada and when a lot of those guys were pushing for a starter role. I'd say 1988-1993 was our last generation. We just don't have a core set of players ages 28-32 making up the leadership core especially at the back.

49 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Not really.  I actually think they are on par with the 2000 group at the same stage in their development (ie. in 2016):

Larin - Just came off an MLS rookie of the year season.
Laryea - Just about to be drafted 7th overall.
Adekugbe - Loaned to Championship team.
Edwards - Made senior debut with TFC.
Petrasso - Playing in the Championship with QPR.
Aird - Making regular appearances with Rangers in the Championship.  About to be loaned to VWFC.
JGL - Bounced between USL and MLS.
Aparicio - About to move to Spanish 3rd division after playing USL.

Outside of Davies and David, a lot of the 1995s had achieved about as much as a lot of the 2000s have at the same age (20/21 years old).  I expect 5 years down the road, the 2000s will look similar.

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Again, I would maybe challenge that.  Larin and Laryea are starting-quality CMNT players, with fringe guys like Adekugbe and Cordova still potentially getting there.   Is that a “lost generation” or is it about what we can expect - to have 2-4 CMNT level players emerge from each cohort.   

It bears repeating- we aren’t going to Phonzies and Davids each and every time.  I am not sure what the expectations are in terms of annual additions to our real CMNT player pool but neither the 1995 or the 2000 cohort seems underwhelming to me.  Four of those guys could be in our starting 11 most days.  

I don't think the 1995 or 2000 cohorts are underwhelming per se.  In my view though, because we have convinced ourselves that the 2000s are a new golden generation, when you take a step back and look at it, in that context the group is actually underwhelming.  I think we (Voyageurs) have put too much emphasis and expectation on the group.  Some will succeed, others will not.  But I expect this group to be similar to other groups before it (outside of the 2 outliers).

What they do have and what should make them feel lucky is that David and Davies will open doors for them.  So they may actually have a leg up in that respect in that they will be given opportunities that may not have been there otherwise.  Hopefully that helps put a few of them in the right environment.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

The problem with this is Petrasso and Aird had as much hype and promise around them (if not more) than any of the 2000s, outside of Davies and David.

Also, I think the lore of the Okello to Wolfsburg option is getting a little out of hand.  Even at the time, the details were pretty hazy.

Didn't Petrasso and Aird have major injuries?  May have impacted their development.

26 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Didn't Petrasso and Aird have major injuries?  May have impacted their development.

Petrasso definitely did, don't think Aird did.  My point was that looking back on it now, the 1995s may look underwhelming but at 20 years old there were some significantly high hopes for Petrasso and others in that group, just like there are now for our current 20 year olds.  Sometimes things work out.  Sometimes they don't.

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Yeah I agree, in fact I'd say that that 2016 was the start of an upward trend for Canada and when a lot of those guys were pushing for a starter role. I'd say 1988-1993 was our last generation. We just don't have a core set of players ages 28-32 making up the leadership core especially at the back.

1992 wasn't bad.  Produced Osorio, Cavallini and Tiebert off the top of my head.