Northvansteve

Year 2000s age group

19 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

From what I've seen, both are ++ athletes but aren't great technically.

Seriously????.... What areas do they need improvement in???... They're still young and am sure with time they can reduce those weaknesses and add some arsenal into their game (that's the hope anyways)... And absolutely, hopefully Wolfsburg takes a chance with them given their track record in working with MLS academy players... How long are they trialing for????... I'm sure a Bundesliga club will help them refine their game a hell lot more and take it to the next level... Nevertheless, a great experience for both of these kids imo

36 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Seriously????.... What areas do they need improvement in???... They're still young and am sure with time they can reduce those weaknesses and add some arsenal into their game (that's the hope anyways)... And absolutely, hopefully Wolfsburg takes a chance with them given their track record in working with MLS academy players... How long are they trialing for????... I'm sure a Bundesliga club will help them refine their game a hell lot more and take it to the next level... Nevertheless, a great experience for both of these kids imo

Go back and watch the u17 CONCACAF Championship. Okello was one of the main players at fault in the infamous Cuba loss. Both looked like players who are used to running past everybody in youth leagues, who weren't able use technical skill to their advantage when faced with the similarly great athletes of Cuba and Costa Rica. Abdi only got a few minutes, and was a surprise to even be on that roster so he's a bit more of a mystery. They are the type of players that Wolfsburg generally likes in their imports, so there is a chance they'll be signed (it doesn't hurt that Wolfsburg's current u19 class is bad). Wolfsburg and Dortmund prize North American athleticism whereas the other German teams actively scouting North America (mainly Schalke and Bremen) aren't interested in players that won't immediately make an impact at youth levels.

Generally the trials for MLS kids in Europe are just over a week, but Zyen Jones of Atlanta United has been on trial with Schalke for just under a month now so who knows. The USSDA gets back into full swing in about a week, so teams want their players back by around this time in January.  

20 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Go back and watch the u17 CONCACAF Championship. Okello was one of the main players at fault in the infamous Cuba loss. Both looked like players who are used to running past everybody in youth leagues, who weren't able use technical skill to their advantage when faced with the similarly great athletes of Cuba and Costa Rica.

I'm glad you updated me with this!!!.. You seem to have so much inside knowledge, lol... Wish I could be like you in that sense @harrycoyster.... The whole Wolfsburg trial just captivated me, that is..... And also I was relying on this piece of wikipedia from okelly, heck why it came to me as a bit of surprise that you pointed out that these folks got to work still more on their technical ability

Style of play[edit]

Because of his height, technical ability and range of passing Okello has been likened to Paul Pogba.[8]

An absurd comparison I guess atm, right???... Prolly only got the athleticism of that folk at this time, so it sounds based on ur description... Many of us in here just get excited when we hear that guys in our player pool go on trial to European clubs in top leagues I guess... No exception here (myself)... Out of topic, did you manage to get a replay of the game of CANMNT U23 vs SIMA... Heard Phonsie put up a brace and it looked as though Borges also put in a nice goal... Tmrw will be perfect timing for a replay of the match and will keep an eye on Canada Soccer Twitter feed regarding match vs Atético Nacional 

4 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Style of play[edit]

Because of his height, technical ability and range of passing Okello has been likened to Paul Pogba.[8]

An absurd comparison I guess atm, right???... Prolly only got the athleticism of that folk at this time, so it sounds based on ur description... Many of us in here just get excited when we hear that guys in our player pool go on trial to European clubs in top leagues I guess... No exception here (myself)... Out of topic, did you manage to get a replay of the game of CANMNT U23 vs SIMA... Heard Phonsie put up a brace and it looked as though Borges also put in a nice goal... Tmrw will be perfect timing for a replay of the match and will keep an eye on Canada Soccer Twitter feed regarding match vs Atético Nacional 

Absurd comparison indeed. The SIMA youtube page looks like it posts full-match videos about a week after games. No sign of the CMNT game yet. 

Edited by harrycoyster

Being heavily rumoured that the USSDA is moving to a two tier system with pro/rel for 2018/19. Means the CMLS academies will face higher levels of competition more regularly, but will lose more training days to travel. Great for the Eastern teams, not so sure about Cascadia, who would have to travel as far as Arizona for league games.

45 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Being heavily rumoured that the USSDA is moving to a two tier system with pro/rel for 2018/19. Means the CMLS academies will face higher levels of competition more regularly, but will lose more training days to travel. Great for the Eastern teams, not so sure about Cascadia, who would have to travel as far as Arizona for league games.

Don’t the Caps dominate there ? And Impact are solid there too no ?

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Don’t the Caps dominate there ? And Impact are solid there too no ?

Both are top two teams in their ~10 team divisions, but they are probably in the two worst divisions of the USSDA. Neither has had much success against the biggest teams in the USSDA (NYRB, Dallas, RSL, etc.), but I'd call them top 20 teams. This will get them more competitive games...question is is that worth the travel? The Baby Caps only practice three days a week when they need to travel to NorCal, for instance. That happens 3-4 times a season. If the Western division are combined, the Baby Caps would need to travel even greater distances more frequently. 

Edited by harrycoyster

Seven players from the class of 2000 making the roster for Canada at the 2018 Toulon Tournament:

CANADA
2- FB- Jake Ruby | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
6- M- Matthew Roberts | ENG / Swansea U-18
9- F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent II
12- CB- Julian Dunn | CAN / Toronto FC

16- M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC II
18- GK- Alessandro Busti | ITA / Juventus Primavera
19- FB- Émile Legault | FRA / AJ Auxerre

Thought I would do a check-in on the progress of this generation of Canadian players. With Davies and David alone, what a generation! These are the 2000-born players who are making the most progress so far - let me know who I am missing!

Major prospects / Major European leagues: Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David

MLS rosters / USL / USL2: Noble Okello, Michael Baldisimo, Luca Petrasso, Julian Dunn-Johnson, Terique Mohammed

Smaller European leagues: Benson Fazili, Ben Paton, Antonio Rocco Romeo, Alessandro Busti

CPL: Alessandro Hojabrpour, Emile Legault, Yohan Le Bourhis, Jose Hernandez

Obviously, Davies and David are in a class by themselves. Okello was on the Gold Cup roster. Busti has been cap-tied. 

Would appreciate any perspective at this point on the other prospects, and whether we should be tracking other key 2000s.

Edited by Northvansteve

13 minutes ago, BLennard said:

As per usual, Desjardins has been forgotten... 😢Can't wait for you people to start rating him and considering him as a real prospect! lol

He's been given jersey #1 for the senior team at 19!!

Anyone else we should all know about? Steve was asking for suggestions and perspective from people in the know.   

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Anyone else we should all know about? Steve was asking for suggestions and perspective from people in the know.   

Nope, not for now at least. Hope you took my message lightly, I'm just messing around. I appreciate Steve's work.

6 hours ago, BLennard said:

As per usual, Desjardins has been forgotten... 😢Can't wait for you people to start rating him and considering him as a real prospect! lol

He's been given jersey #1 for the senior team at 19!!

Ahhh, you are right - thank you! Desjardins and Busti are the leading goalies in this class so far.