Canadian Premier League

ted

Until recently there seemed to be a CSA-NASL-Traffic alignment developing on pro leagues and broadcast rights in opposition to the USSF-MLS-SUM axis where hosting the 2026 World Cup was concerned. Understandable why there seems to be less emphasis on an NASL/Traffic angle now, with the "C-League" being portrayed as more of a standalone "Made in Canada" thing given recent developments at FIFA, but running in parallel with both MLS and NASL rather than incorporating D2 level operations from those sources and finding a way to place more of a Canadian branding on the existing USSF sanctioned setups seems hopelessly unrealistic in the absence of a Phil Anschutz or Lamar Hunt type investor for closing the stable door after the horse has already bolted type reasons.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if there is a C-League then we'll get 2 spots in the CCL.  One for the C-League championship and one for the Voyageurs Cup Champion.  Also Ottawa and Edmonton would have to be thinking of joining the C-League.

I shouldn't be surprised if the CCL spot going to the C-League winner was used as an incentive for investors.

Where on earth would that idea be coming from? Why would CONCACAF give us a second CCL spot and why would it go to a D2 league?

My comment was not linked to a second CCL spot. And the reason was what I said: to provide investors with an alluring potential return. From a competitive perspective it is nonsense and I do not endorse it, it is merely a thought.

If Guatemala, Panama and El Salvador get 2 CCL spots with their domestic "professional" leagues then I'm just saying Canada should get one with our own C-League plus MLS teams.  It's not unreasonable especially when you consider the aggregate results Canadian teams have done in CCL compared to other countries. 

This might sound like a dumb question, but what actually determines CONCACAF's (or any continental ascoiation) the number of berth's a country gets for its respective Champion's league? Also, what would be the odds of us potentially getting a half berth?

This might sound like a dumb question, but what actually determines CONCACAF's (or any continental ascoiation) the number of berth's a country gets for its respective Champion's league? Also, what would be the odds of us potentially getting a half berth?

Uefa uses a coefficient system based on a countries success over the previous 5 years. Concacaf, as far as I am aware, just assigns numbers.

Ottawa president John Pugh's take on CanD1A. I would copy and paste the excerpts if it wasn't for my shitty desktop, I had to type in the URL just now.

I generally agree with his points and his non-committal, although I do believe the league will need Ottawa and Edmonton on board eventually if it's looking for long-term success.

apt613.ca/q-a-with-fury-president-john-pugh-the-man-who-brought-professional-soccer-to-ottawa

Where on earth would that idea be coming from? Why would CONCACAF give us a second CCL spot and why would it go to a D2 league?

Canada should not/will not get a second spot in the CCL for some time.  Once we have a league of our own, then maybe eventually.

As for the CCL spot going to a potential Canadian league champion, that's exactly what should happen.  MLS clubs should qualify through MLS, and take one of the American spots.  It's a big piece of trickery that MLS manages five CCL spots thanks to the V-Cup.  Any Canadian league without direct CCL qualification would be embarrassing.

This only has a chance if you get Ottawa Fury and Edmonton FC to join and and get the USL sides in Toronto,Vancouver and Montreal to join.

Yes to the first part, not really to the second.

The USL teams are reserve teams and frankly adding them to this D2 would be a mistake IMO. Adding them to the D3 system makes more sense and hopefully by 2017 BC will have a D3.

More info today from the Canadian Soccer News website :

C-League cities

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/c-league-cities-r5374

"The investors in the three MLS cities are not attached to the MLS sides. There is no suggestion that the MLS teams will be pressured to leave, with investors preferring a “Welsh model” of sorts to the Canadian pyramid – a few teams separate from the C-League competing in a foreign league (i.e. Swansea City in the Premier League), while maintaining a top flight Canadian league as well."

Quick summary of the article :

Vancouver

Calgary

Regina

Winnipeg

Toronto

Hamilton

Ottawa

Montreal

- MLS cities are not attached to the MLS sides

- NASL clubs not commited to moving to "C-League"

- Higher level than USL

- No USL reserve teams in league

- Salary 1-1.5 Million per club (average $40-60K salary)

- Announcement may be delayed until January 2016 while trying to convince 2 NASL Cnd clubs to switch.

Let's take this at face value (realizing that the multiple sources probably can't be revealed). 

I wonder how this will play in Vancouver and Montreal specifically.  I don't know of those markets can support 5-10,000 fans per game going up against MLS and USL teams.  Toronto I don't have the same worry about as it's a big enough market.

It's a good move that they won't let in the USL teams and 1-1.5 million team budgets will be pretty decent to start a league.  It's good that they're aiming above the NASL level (although we're talking Canadian dollars and not US dollars).

Hopefully the Ottawa group includes the Fury, and I suspect it does.  I also hope that the Fath's don't get forced out of the Edmonton market.  Honestly though they really would be better off with Regina, Winnipeg and Calgary than being in the NASL with no other teams within 2,900 km of them when Minnesota leaves.  If the Eddies went up against a C-League team with a bigger budget and a legit TV and Jersey deal then I think the C-League team would win out but it wouldn't be pretty.

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit- but I hope that we match MLS rostering rules for internationals.  25 man rosters with a maximum of 8 internationals would be great.  They could also add the 6 Canadian starter rules that they have for USL sanctioning.

While that would strain (understatement) the Canadian talent base it would also quickly grow the talent base as 136 Canadian only spots open up.  It would also pillage the American and lower European leagues of Canadian talent as almost any pro Canadian player could suddenly get a demestic job.  The Canadians abroad list could grow really short really quick.

Yes to the first part, not really to the second.

The USL teams are reserve teams and frankly adding them to this D2 would be a mistake IMO. Adding them to the D3 system makes more sense and hopefully by 2017 BC will have a D3.

Do you think if Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal tried to add NASL teams tomorrow it would work out well? I dont, and this is basically what this Canadian league will be trying to do in those cities. Attempting to have two professional soccer teams in the same city in Canada is a bad idea. Best case scenario is to convince the MLS teams have their 2nd teams join and hope to fuck they manage to draw a 1000 fans to games.

If I were the faths, I'd want a minimum 5 years compensation for those losses he incurred over 5 years. The CFL may have the muscle and media power in thr prairies but in BC and Ontario, they're playing second fiddle to NHL and soon to be 3rd fiddle to MLS teams in attendance, not necessarily TV revenue yet. I think Fath, has a legitimate concern to be compensated for his losses to jump ahip to this C-league. And if the C-leagur decides to form there own team there, expect thr NASL to help out Edmonton, if Fath cries foul with Traffic going against thr CFL and CSA in marketing and maybr potential lawsuits.

Do you think if Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal tried to add NASL teams tomorrow it would work out well? I dont, and this is basically what this Canadian league will be trying to do in those cities. Attempting to have two professional soccer teams in the same city in Canada is a bad idea. Best case scenario is to convince the MLS teams have their 2nd teams join and hope to fuck they manage to draw a 1000 fans to games.

Montreal and Vancouver are iffy no doubt. However, like I have stated before, Toronto easily could.

NASL Edmonton and Ottawa would apparently have to pay an exit fee to NASL which was previously at 500K and is now 1 million by recent reports. No way thats happening IMHO at the startup of the new "C-League", like has been said previously the new league will operate alongside MLS and NASL. If the new league is successfull down the road these teams may join.

Like Macksam said it won't work with MLS's USL farm teams in the new league - would be dead upon arrival and without credibility. The new league is looking to be of a higher stature and must if it is to have any chance at success.

Archived