Canadian Premier League

ted

More than anything else lately it seems like Bob Young is a big supporter of Hamilton and Canada, if he's one of the leaders in putting this thing together as alluded to in alot of the leaks about this thing I'm not worried about him ditching the soccer team anytime soon.

I could be wrong, but didn't he bail on Charleston in the midst of the USL/NASL pissing contest? Also, he left the company he ran in NC in the mid 2000s so it could've had something to do with that as well.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...or he used soccer to get Tim Horton Field built for the Pan Am Games for the future benefit of the Ticats and going through the motions on setting up a pro soccer league allows him to say he tried where commitments made to pro soccer in connection with that are concerned. A league normally needs a minimum of eight franchises (maybe six at a push). If there were eight of those less than two years away from playing their first game in the works from coast to coast we would be hearing rumours about what's happening in other cities by now. Most of them would probably even be hiring front office people and running name the team contests.

Agreed, it seems more than strange that Duane Rollins is still the only real source for a league that will kick off in less than two years. It may be that the gate is some kind of television deal, if the league doesn't get a real one Hamilton will just join NASL and this idea will fade away for the short term.

I honestly don't think that "a" television deal would be a problem.  TSN has something like 5 channels now.  They need content and have showed in the past that they can build a product up - examples CFL, World Juniors etc.  I think an issue would the accessibility of the channels.  You want to make sure that someone with basic cable can access the games and not have to buy some crazy package to watch a domestic league.  Maybe the CRTC rulings on unbundling make a difference in strategy.  I don't know.

As for Rollins being the only source, wouldn't Benito Floros admission last week be an indicator or articles with quotes from Montagliani be an indicator

http://the11.ca/2014/06/18/montaglianis-vision-a-canadian-division-1a-that-coexists-with-mls-nasl/

If TSN is the partner, one of two major sportsbroadcasters, it may stand to reason that they don't want leaked info in the mainstream to give it the proper marketing launch it would deserve.

Hopeful we will get a team in Saskatchewan, I think Saskatoon would be fantastic, it craves a team to get behind. Regina will likely have it if its a CFL tie in. Big money in having it a provincial team like the Roughriders though. 

Just makes sense for TSN to be involved and get all rights from the start. They barely fill their channels as it is. 

...or he used soccer to get Tim Horton Field built for the Pan Am Games for the future benefit of the Ticats and going through the motions on setting up a pro soccer league allows him to say he tried where commitments made to pro soccer in connection with that are concerned. A league normally needs a minimum of eight franchises (maybe six at a push). If there were eight of those less than two years away from playing their first game in the works from coast to coast we would be hearing rumours about what's happening in other cities by now. Most of them would probably even be hiring front office people and running name the team contests.

I don't pretend to know Bob Young so I suppose your suggestion is always a possibility. There's evidence that points to the contrary but it could've all been a big ruse to get the stadium built. Though realistically that stadium was always being built regardless of soccer being a part of it or not.

In the second half of your comment are you suggesting that because we haven't heard enough rumors about this, that this league is in fact not happening? I suppose we'll find out soon.

My guess is that the CSA is waiting for the predictable embarassment of the CMNT and u23 CMNT performances and then announce a new league.

Basically stating, we know there's a problem.  Here's how we fix it.

We got beat by Jamaica because we have a lack of talent.  We need a league to build that.

^^^^^Yeah. I agree. I was never the biggest proponent for a Canadian league. However, after watching all three of our MLS teams Canadianless this weekend, I have to say we need a domestic league. I'm not saying MLS hasn't done anything for the country as players have come through for us. However, it's not enough. We need more pro opportunities. The only alternative really is MLS doubling up on the number of Canadian clubs with Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa. However, that could be years away if at all.

My guess is that the CSA is waiting for the predictable embarassment of the CMNT and u23 CMNT performances and then announce a new league.

Basically stating, we know there's a problem.  Here's how we fix it.

We got beat by Jamaica because we have a lack of talent.  We need a league to build that.

You would have had a stronger case for that line of argument before the three MLS reserve teams were launched in USL.

I do hope that a Canadian league does exist one day. If the CFL cities without a MLS/NASL club will provide the backbone to this league, I do hope that Ottawa and Edmonton will make what would be a drastic switch, and make the jump from NASL to the Canadian league.

I can imagine a Canadian league succeeding at the D2 level, but for it to do so, we will need the NASL clubs onboard eventually, so that there is no competition for Canadian cities at the D2 level whatsoever. I could definitely see a Canadian footy system where MLS constitutes D1 and a Canadian league constitutes D2 at the expense of NASL, despite the good that NASL has brought to fans like myself.

Finally, regarding the MLS markets of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, I am not sure about a Canadian league club succeeding while competing against the MLS and USL sides in the areas. I would much rather see the 3 MLS clubs put their current USL reserve sides into the Canadian league instead.

For all of this to work, it would require an insane amount of hard work, goodwill and cooperation among CSA/CFL, USSF, MLS, USL and the 3 MLS ownership groups, as well as dropping NASL by the wayside.

It is almost certainly improbable, but without the cooperation of all these parties, I am still skeptical about how much success a Canadian league would have over a decade if it remained in the non-footy CFL cities and competing in the 3 major markets vs. MLS.

I honestly believe that the CSA lobbying for Canadians to be considered as domestics in USSF-sanctioned leagues should be a far more feasible goal to work towards than creating a new league from scratch, and to gradually expand NASL and D3 regional leagues within Canada. But if we want to go for a Canadian league, we're going to need a lot of hard work, investment and cooperation.

Finally, regarding the MLS markets of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, I am not sure about a Canadian league club succeeding while competing against the MLS and USL sides in the areas. I would much rather see the 3 MLS clubs put their current USL reserve sides into the Canadian league instead.

IMHO having reserve sides of MLS or even NASL in a new D1A Canadian league would be poor for its image. They have to appear to be "Big League" from the start so having MLS's D3 farm/minor league teams would be a negative.

A Canadian D1A league will likely start with 8 clubs not including including MLS or NASL clubs at least at the start, though that may change in a few years for the NASL Canadian teams if the league is successful and farther down the road even MLS franchises (though unlikely, but never say never).

@CDNFootballer: The quote function isn't working for me on IE for some reason, nor copy and paste...

I know that the image issue of having the 3 USL clubs in a CanD1A is concerning for some of the V's, but for me, the image issue is less a concern than the league pushing its way into what has become a more crowded footy scene now in the 3 major markets.

MLS has the DPs and the CanMNT players, USL has the CanM23s/M20s, and L1O/USSDA has the CanM17s. Will there really be enough Canadian players out there whose playing level will be at the NASL level and will jump aboard from MLS/NASL/USL for the salaries that the C-League will pay and fill out the 8 teams, without having the 3 USL clubs onboard?

Maybe there is, but I feel like bringing in the 3 USL clubs would be less risky and would almost kill 2 stones with 1 bird.

To be fair, I would have the Voyageur's Cup winner play the C-League winner over two legs to determine that spot.

Why would the have to play themselves?  Oh wait, for some reason you think that the C-League would not be part of the V-Cup. That is absurd.

I do think that if that league is born, they should all get to play in the V's Cup.

The whole scheme would be pretty pointless and clearly not anything close to a Semi-1A-Premier-Super-Professional-Awesome division if they were not afforded equality with even the existing D2 clubs.

Archived