Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Would be tricky to include the leaf veins and crown if that logo was embroidered.

Does a buckyball (or any kind of soccer ball) really need to be included?

certainly it would have to be simplified slightly for a patch.  that's easy though.  

Idk, sure I could leave out the soccer ball but I thought it worked.  

On 2/21/2016 at 3:23 AM, nolbertos said:

Don't if you guys know but supposedly, the CFL teams want to get rid of the Canadian player quota as its hurting the league's ability to get more American quality and possibly cheaper players than their Canadian counterparts. Kinda runs against the argument that the CFL owners want to only play Canadian kids in a Canadian league.  Remember the CPL is just another business idea for the CFL owners to fill in their stadiums when Football season is over.  I seriously doubt any of these owners will build SSS outta there own pockets.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they try to force the CSA to go down in the Canadian quota at some point down the road.  There are far quantity wise and bargain wise American players to recruit from then in Canada and in the end, people want a winning team, moreso than just all Canadians playing, just adk TFC, how that worked out in the first 2-3 years.  Careful what you wish for if you want CFL money cuz in the end, we'll back to a USL quality league in name only called CPL.

bullshit

don't if you guys know but supposedly, the CFL teams want to get rid of the Canadian player quota as its hurting the league's ability to get more American quality and possibly cheaper players than their Canadian counterparts. Kinda runs against the argument that the CFL owners want to only play Canadian kids in a Canadian league.  Remember the CPL is just another business idea for the CFL owners to fill in their stadiums when Football season is over.  I seriously doubt any of these owners will build SSS outta there own pockets.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they try to force the CSA to go down in the Canadian quota at some point down the road.  There are far quantity wise and bargain wise American players to recruit from then in Canada and in the end, people want a winning team, moreso than just all Canadians playing, just adk TFC, how that worked out in the first 2-3 years.  Careful what you wish for if you want CFL money cuz in the end, we'll back to a USL quality league in name only called CPL.

I'm not sure where you got your information but I just looked online and I couldn't find anything recent about the CFL wanting to lower nevermind get rid of their Canadian player quota.  Canadian players are cheaper I'd assume and beside the union would never allow that to happen.

25 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm not sure where you got your information but I just looked online and I couldn't find anything recent about the CFL wanting to lower nevermind get rid of their Canadian player quota.  Canadian players are cheaper I'd assume and beside the union would never allow that to happen.

I remember hearing rumours of lowering the CDN player quota a few years ago but don't think it will happen anytime soon. And the CDN players are not cheaper, they are more expensive because there are less of them than American players.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:23 AM, nolbertos said:

Don't if you guys know but supposedly, the CFL teams want to get rid of the Canadian player quota as its hurting the league's ability to get more American quality and possibly cheaper players than their Canadian counterparts. Kinda runs against the argument that the CFL owners want to only play Canadian kids in a Canadian league.  Remember the CPL is just another business idea for the CFL owners to fill in their stadiums when Football season is over.  I seriously doubt any of these owners will build SSS outta there own pockets.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they try to force the CSA to go down in the Canadian quota at some point down the road.  There are far quantity wise and bargain wise American players to recruit from then in Canada and in the end, people want a winning team, moreso than just all Canadians playing, just adk TFC, how that worked out in the first 2-3 years.  Careful what you wish for if you want CFL money cuz in the end, we'll back to a USL quality league in name only called CPL.

One thing it wasn't "all Canadians playing" in the 1st few years and if you want to blame the Canadians who were getting a chance to play in the beginning how do you explain the abject failure of the franchise now that they have sat down the Canadians and are playing the 'bargain" Americans with payroll that is several times what it was?

11 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Little weekend project:

asbcm5z.png

Any fans?

Any loyalists? :P

I like the use of the Maple Leaf from the old RCAF roundel, but I'd definitely lose the crown. I don't know of any other sports league in Canada that uses the crown, so I don't see any reason to start with CPL. I can't see this sort of thing playing well among many Francophones, to say nothing of footie fans that have come from former British colonies with less than favourable views of the Brits. If we're going for a national league and trying to build a solid fan-base in short order, I'd see the crown as something to be avoided.

In any case, to the best of my knowledge, you'd need permission from the Canadian Heraldic Authority to use the crown or any similar symbols. Plus, that's the pre-1952 design of George VI, not the posted-1952 design of QEII.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suppose I could live without the crown.  I quite like it but if it's going to be an item of division then we would have to go without it.  The logo has to be crisp but without controversy.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge history buff and I love celebrating the things that have contributed to Canada's story. But I just don't think that the crown would be right for this sort of thing.

Other than that, very nicely done! :)

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

The supposed talk was on the online radiocast of TSN CFL round-up.  I think it was David Pratt and others heard there were rumblings that the CFL wanted to abolish or at least minimize further the canadian import ratio.  And Canadian players aren't cheaper, how you not read the latest CFL blog about the anonymous American player that says the Canadian players get more treatment, sizable wages and better living standards than the American players.  We all know that most American players view the CFL as just a temporary stop to the NFL, hence why most get the lower wages than Canadians, who have no desire, or can't get a job in the NFL.  The CFL has always been about the bottom line, more than just the Canadian game, unless you believe the CFL's slogan of how "greatly Canadian it is"  In businesses, if there is a huge supply of talent, like there is from college player, wishing to pursue a career in football, then the CFL will pay as cheaply as it can to survive.  Will see how it unfolds, as the heart of the CFL is in the prairies, with Toronto, Vancouver not really caring and Montreal barely keeping the status quo.

On 2/18/2016 at 9:48 AM, Levi Oakey said:

I like that logo for Sask. I think though you should totally include some of the Gold from the Youth Soccer club, partially because it is also in the flag. Green in Gold could be done very well. Think Celtic or even Australia.

We looked into having the main colours be gold, green, and white but gold is really difficult to work with. It contrasts so viciously with pretty well any shade of green that it looks gaudy at best. I'm not a fan of the Edmonton Eskimos colours so my personal bias probably impacted the initial designs Guillermo created. Here's a really early thing he made up quickly (sorry if you didn't want people to see any of these Guillermo!): http://imgur.com/LPXizYB 

Another idea he came up with, a lot of this one ended up in the final one I posted a bunch of pages ago: cFdBVJO.png

29 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

And Canadian players aren't cheaper, how you not read the latest CFL blog about the anonymous American player that says the Canadian players get more treatment, sizable wages and better living standards than the American players.  We all know that most American players view the CFL as just a temporary stop to the NFL, hence why most get the lower wages than Canadians, who have no desire, or can't get a job in the NFL.  The CFL has always been about the bottom line, more than just the Canadian game, unless you believe the CFL's slogan of how "greatly Canadian it is"  In businesses, if there is a huge supply of talent, like there is from college player, wishing to pursue a career in football, then the CFL will pay as cheaply as it can to survive.  Will see how it unfolds, as the heart of the CFL is in the prairies, with Toronto, Vancouver not really caring and Montreal barely keeping the status quo.

I could of been wrong on both.  As I stated earlier I googled CFL and Canadian ration reduction and didn't get anything from the last decade that was concrete.  As for the pay differential, I don't follow the CFL close enough to know for sure, it was a guess and apparently wrong.  Can you please provide the link for the blog post as I'm curious to read it and also can't find anything on this when searching for it.

As for the CFL they're a business not a charity.  The only way they keep going is by making money.  Without some evidence about the how they're going to gut the league of Canadians for cheaper Americans I'll believe that the numbers aren't going to change, as the union wouldn't stand for it.  

As for the quota in CanPL, I'd like to think the CSA's involvement and stated issue to grow and nurture the game in Canada would work with the owners who want the extra dates for their stadiums would nullify the fears but I doubt it the more I spend on here.

Really though the speculation is really for nothing since we don't know much other then the few vague statements and leaks to CSN.  Other then logo designs (which are cool) people need to relax and wait to criticize or praise until we actually know the concrete plans lol.

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suppose I could live without the crown.  I quite like it but if it's going to be an item of division then we would have to go without it.  The logo has to be crisp but without controversy.

Basically how I feel.  Some like it, some not.  Don't really care as long as people are happy, personally.  

11 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Regina Rovers. :lol::lol:

Hamilton could have a good derby with Burlington Coyote-Dogs. (taxi!...)

If it were Rovers, it would match up nicely with a Great Big Sea song for a chant:

I'm a rover, seldom sober

I'm a rover of high degree

And when I'm drinkin' I'm always thinkin'

How to gain my love's company. 

Archived