Canadian Premier League

ted

New rumour/news from Duane Rollins:

- League starts in 2017.

- Eight markets, including Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. Big name owners.

- 3M cap/budget per team.

- 70% Canadian content.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/canadian-league-update-oh-and-floro-talks-gold-cup-sort-of-r5340

Good.

edit: nm read the link the 3million is the budget not the cap.  So what comes after is ignorable.

Ok if that's what it is.. and not some NPSL level shit which it felt like it might be.....then that I am very interested in.   3M cap team is respectable, that's MLS 2 years ago minus the DP rule.

70% canadian content and 3million caps? damn.. just thinking of MLS wages there and wondering where does the talent come to fill out that many canadian slots at that wage?

Why not 35% to start eventually going up, 5% every 2 years.   I'm having a hard time figuring who fills all those slots.  Your going to have USL kids making 200k a year?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investors feel the top three markets should be involved certainly does not mean Rollins was saying that they WOULD be involved.  Running a little off the rails with the rumor train and speculation here in my opinion. 

But yes, it is fun to speculate :)

Good.

edit: nm read the link the 3million is the budget not the cap.  So what comes after is ignorable.

Ok if that's what it is.. and not some NPSL level shit which it felt like it might be.....then that I am very interested in.   3M cap team is respectable, that's MLS 2 years ago minus the DP rule.

70% canadian content and 3million caps? damn.. just thinking of MLS wages there and wondering where does the talent come to fill out that many canadian slots at that wage?

Why not 35% to start eventually going up, 5% every 2 years.   I'm having a hard time figuring who fills all those slots.  Your going to have USL kids making 200k a year?

3 million dollar budget, not cap. Big difference.

Wasn't Rollins' last update saying that this league had a 2016 timeframe? If the owners are in place, what is the holdup?

No, he said that the league would start in 2017 in his previous update. That's what Rollins reported, that's what Dino Madonis told Marc Tougas. 2017 remained in the timeframe for the first season. The question was more when they would announce it if it was this year or early next year.

Wasn't Rollins' last update saying that this league had a 2016 timeframe? If the owners are in place, what is the holdup?

2016 was going to be the reveal according to his last update. 2017 always seemed like the start date. As for the hold up, I imagine that Toronto based team probably needs a year to get a suitable stadium up.

At least this plan makes some kind of sense unlike some idea I have seen that are patently absurd. So long as they don't try to sell it as anything other than what it really is, a step down from MLS, I actually think this could work. 

[Why is my optimisim settings go haywire right before every Gold Cup? ;) ]

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/canadian-league-update-oh-and-floro-talks-gold-cup-sort-of-r5340 update on the proposed league.

Very disappointing seeing a large number of Canadians expecting to see this league fail right from the outset.

Not sure why you would expect otherwise given the history of soccer leagues in this country. It is up to the new league to prove itself to long-time fans of the game.

That said, where are you seeing this overwhelmingly negative reaction?

New rumour/news from Duane Rollins:

- League starts in 2017.

- Eight markets, including Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. Big name owners.

- 3M cap/budget per team.

- 70% Canadian content.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/canadian-league-update-oh-and-floro-talks-gold-cup-sort-of-r5340

As far as this is concerned

While I like to see a high Canadian content, a 70% requirement runs the risk of the league not being able to attract enough international talent and may come across as bush. 50% is where I feel it should be. The Cap looks fine, and the pacing doesn't seem unreasonable. As far as connections to NHL franchise, that's Calgary. Much like MLSE, Calgary Sports and Entertainment has a pro-sports lock in Calgary, owning the Flames, Stamps, Roughnecks, Hitmen and the Flames AHL affiliate, the Stockton Heat.

I'd still much rather see us continue to put franchises in the NASL until a certain tipping point is reached and established franchises start up a new league. Also, putting a team in Toronto to go up against TFC is a VERY risky move, even more so if Hamilton ends up having a franchise in this league.

I'd still much rather see us continue to put franchises in the NASL until a certain tipping point is reached and established franchises start up a new league. Also, putting a team in Toronto to go up against TFC is a VERY risky move, even more so if Hamilton ends up having a franchise in this league.

At one point the NASL was rumoured to be involved and Hamilton was the nexus that connected the two: A new CFL stadium with an owner looking to aquire a soccer team to fill more dates.

Despite my generally negative view of the long-term prospects for the NASL as a stand-alone league I do think that this project would be better with the NASL teams that already exist being brought aboard. If you brought Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Hamilton onboard then adding a team to Toronto, Vancouver (or Victoria) and Montreal (or Quebec City) might not seem like such a risky proposition. Adding a team in Regina makes for eight and you are good to go for 2017 as a start.

At one point the NASL was rumoured to be involved and Hamilton was the nexus that connected the two: A new CFL stadium with an owner looking to aquire a soccer team to fill more dates.

Despite my generally negative view of the long-term prospects for the NASL as a stand-alone league I do think that this project would be better with the NASL teams that already exist being brought aboard. If you brought Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Hamilton onboard then adding a team to Toronto, Vancouver (or Victoria) and Montreal (or Quebec City) might not seem like such a risky proposition. Adding a team in Regina makes for eight and you are good to go for 2017 as a start.

I agree Ted, but lets say Edmonton and Ottawa jump ship (of which there is no evidence that is going to happen), saying "Hey we have two franchises who have been around for a while, one that has struggled at the gate and now we are starting a new league six new ones?" I mean, I get you have to start somewhere, but starting with two and building from the ground up, just strikes me as a tough sell.

Now, having 4 stable franchises that have been around for a while, and 4 more appearing to build a new league. Yeah, that's a lot easier to swallow.

Anyways, I think the biggest take away from this article is this quote.

“I consider MLS to be a foreign league,” was one bomb he dropped into the middle of the conversation. “It seems like we’re working for the American program sometimes,” another.

A $3 million budget is probably a $1 million to $1.25 million player cap.  Something like that when you consider the other costs of running a franchise.

I'd like to hear more about this from just Rollins.  Opening up something in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver is an interesting idea but risky.

Let's go with a $1.25 million salary cap on 18 players including 12 Canadians for now.  First of all that's 96 Canadians at $70k on average and would really expand the amount of domestics.  Like dramatically.  We only have 200 players in our Mother of all Canadians abroad thread.  How many of those players are making over $70k I wonder?  Maybe 50 or 60?

We currently have 85 Canadians playing in NASL and USL teams combined.  Adding all these spots would require us to repatriate the majority of our abroad players plus clean out the USL and NASL rosters.  For sure there's going to be a huge repatriation of foreign players, especially guys toiling in the lower leagues of Europe.

It's pretty dramatic and I question the reasonability of the plan but it would be transformative and visionary.

A $3 million budget is probably a $1 million to $1.25 million player cap. Something like that when you consider the other costs of running a franchise.

I'd like to hear more about this from just Rollins. Opening up something in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver is an interesting idea but risky.

Vancouver and Montreal, sure. Toronto has a market full of disenfranchised anti-MLSE individuals, me included willing to jump ship.

If you listen to the Two Solitudes Podcast - Duane mentions TSN as the National Broadcaster and they would have a long-term deal.

Also, everyone is talking about the concept of jumping ship but what about the concept of people finally having a hometown team to cheer for.

I know if Halifax had a team I would cheer for them and TFC.  There are a lot of provincial-immigrants.

Let's go with a $1.25 million salary cap on 18 players including 12 Canadians for now.  First of all that's 96 Canadians at $70k on average and would really expand the amount of domestics.  Like dramatically.  We only have 200 players in our Mother of all Canadians abroad thread.  How many of those players are making over $70k I wonder?  Maybe 50 or 60?

We currently have 85 Canadians playing in NASL and USL teams combined.  Adding all these spots would require us to repatriate the majority of our abroad players plus clean out the USL and NASL rosters.  For sure there's going to be a huge repatriation of foreign players, especially guys toiling in the lower leagues of Europe.

It's pretty dramatic and I question the reasonability of the plan but it would be transformative and visionary.

It's not like all of the Canadians playing in MLS and NASL would jump ship immediately...I also doubt the reasonability of this plan, just look at those numbers! IF you manage to play that amount of domestic players it would mean that the level of play would be well below MLS, NASL and even USL Pro. Heck it would probably be below PDL / NPSL as well.

I don't see how that would help to establish the league and give it some credibility around the country.

This probably has more to do with people being seen to be trying to do something for internal soccer association politics reasons (and generating hits for blogs and podcasts) rather than something that has a genuine chance of actually ever happening. MLS needed two billionaires willing to lose into the hundreds of millions in its early years and hang in there until things slowly started to take off. It would take at least one very rich individual willing to do something similar for this league to be able to survive its first decade on the scale being discussed.  

Digz, from what I've gleaned when asking people against it you're bang on. People fear it will fail, and that failure will cause a tailspin which makes the soccer development situation in Canada even worse.

I can't speak to other owners as I'm a ti-cats fan, but I get the impression some people underestimate how wealthy some of these owners are and their business acumen. Bob Young turned a trash heap team in the Ti-Cats around and got a new stadium for them to boot. I just don't think a guy like that is going to freak out at the first sign of adversity. 

It is challenging.  I would fully support both leagues but would attend the C-League.

When I spoke to Mark Cohon over christmas, I mentioned the CSA was looking to establish a league.  He said the CFL owners were always looking for other tenants to utilize their facilities and he knew the guys at the CSA.  Maybe my dog walk chat made an impression.

Bob Young himself has a net worth of several hundred million dollars.  That's one owner.

He has already bailed on one pro soccer league and his top priority is clearly the CFL. If this was genuinely happening in 2017 there would be more than one source of info on it, because that really isn't so far away when something like a pro league launch is involved. In reality, we already have MLS, NASL and USL teams up and running, so pro soccer is actually working in Canada beyond what most people would have wildly imagined to be possible ten years ago. My impression is that pro soccer is currently working in a way that some well-connected people in CSA terms don't like, because they don't have the level of control over it that they would like, but those insiders don't have the finances to make something like this actually fly. It's worth remembering that a D2 pro league was originally supposed to be launched to coincide with the 2015 Womens World Cup this summer, but the guy the CSA hired to look into the feasibility of it for them eventually recommended regional D3 with a U-23 focus instead and the CSA subsequently haven't even been able to launch that properly. There's nothing new in any of this.

Archived