Canadian Premier League

ted

22 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

If I heard this correctly, the CSA has already stated that at least 10 cities have already expressed interest in joining the CPL. Decisions on which cities will be part of the final league lineup are expected to be made over the summer. Now, both Hamilton and Winnipeg's bids have been officially approved. There are no doubts that Ottawa, Edmonton and Halifax are expected to get the green light real soon. Now that leaves us with 5 mystery cities. I'm wondering if anyone here has any clue which cities may these be? For the record, I will be disqualifying Moncton NB for now given that the head spoke person for the group has admitted that he does not have investors onboard, unless the Irwing or the McCain families get onboard this venture. This league does require investors with deep pockets, otherwise you can't join the clubhouse.

I think that the fact that they were not included means that there are doubts eh??  Halifax seems the next logical domino to fall but after that...I'm not so sure.  And as far as deep pockets, if you are including the WFC that runs the Bombers as an example of deep pockets, you are very far off the mark.  I was kind of excited that the inclusion of a WPG bid involving just the Bomber ownership would lower the bar for other groups of smaller investors in Calgary, PQ, BC etc to be included in the mix.    

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet, but on Saturday I signed up to be a fan on canpl.ca. I am assuming the ID numbers they give out on the website started from 1, and increment with each new fan. I'd just like to say based on my ID number, it's impressive that on the first day they surpassed 900 billion fans signed up (and it's also impressive their servers handled all that traffic).

It truly is a shame they have to play in CFL stadiums.

Those stadiums won't be nearly big enough to handle all the fans wanting to show up for games!

34 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

If I heard this correctly, the CSA has already stated that at least 10 cities have already expressed interest in joining the CPL. Decisions on which cities will be part of the final league lineup are expected to be made over the summer. Now, both Hamilton and Winnipeg's bids have been officially approved. There are no doubts that Ottawa, Edmonton and Halifax are expected to get the green light real soon. Now that leaves us with 5 mystery cities. I'm wondering if anyone here has any clue which cities may these be? For the record, I will be disqualifying Moncton NB for now given that the head spoke person for the group has admitted that he does not have investors onboard, unless the Irwing or the McCain families get onboard this venture. This league does require investors with deep pockets, otherwise you can't join the clubhouse.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Edmonton - I know we have this dream that everyone outside of MLS will join the CPL and be one big happy family, but I don't think the real world is going to shape up that way...

Even Ottawa (if they do join) probably won't join during the short 2018 season, just so they can play the full year in USL.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

Is the Toronto Star involved? They reported on Reed's appointment but not on the CPL

Not that I want to keep this up but it's kind of odd that a sport media who claims to be #1 in Canada isn't reporting it while ESPN is. That's all. I'll leave it at that and laugh my ass off whenever I see them calling themselves the #1 sport media in Canada. I'd expect the #1 sport media in Canada to cover this better than the Star, National Post and Globe and Mail.

It's odd, that's all, no conspiracy theories...

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not that I want to keep this up but it's kind of odd that a sport media who claims to be #1 in Canada isn't reporting it while ESPN is. That's all. I'll leave it at that and laugh my ass off whenever I see them calling themselves the #1 sport media in Canada. I'd expect the #1 sport media in Canada to cover this better than the Star, National Post and Globe and Mail.

It's odd, that's all, no conspiracy theories...

Alright. To be fair to Ansem he wasn't the worst guy on this topic.

It should be said that this should be viewed as a national story and the three national newspapers (Star while a Toronto paper is the most read and respected newspaper in Canada) didn't mention the CPL at all.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Hey, how about we talk about something worthwhile like how Winnipeg's team sucks and will never hope to beat an actual side like Hamilton?

I'm hoping for Dawson City City to make a run for the title (yes I'm stealing my own joke from Twitter)

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Hey, how about we talk about something worthwhile like how Winnipeg's team sucks and will never hope to beat an actual side like Hamilton?

I dunno Winnipeg is world famous 

1 minute ago, matty said:

It should be said that this should be viewed as a national story and the three national newspapers (Star while a Toronto paper is the most read and respected newspaper in Canada) didn't mention the CPL at all.

I agree, I guess I'm just disappointed/surprised at TSN. The 3 clubs don't have that kind of leverage on TSN and the league doesn't care as a whole. American medias are talking about it.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Soft teams like Hamilton can't compete with the rough and tough Winnipeg. They grind through an entire 0 game season in the tougher western conference and deal with harder games all season, making them more battle hardened.

12 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

GRRRR.... I'm already itching at the chance to throw bags of piss at Hamilton players.  I mean once the league starts, until then I'm like GOOD FOR YOU HAMILTON!!  And whats the etiquette with piss bags?? You fill them there or bring them from home?  I need a central american fan to fill me in so I'll be ready.  

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Never said he was the worst (although in hindsight it does look like it the way my original post came out and I tried to say that in later replies) and I agree that the coverage was lacking.  But as you said the coverage is lacking in many places.  To single out TSN though and insinuate that there's a reason for the coverage it is wrong and misguided in my opinion.  Truly this is an editorial decision of a wire story when it comes down to it.

But for my earlier post with praise of the handling of the announcement of the CSA this could be a consequence of it.  They keep the media away, have the official announcement as a tweet followed by a press release, two announced teams and a soft release of website/twitter, I can see why they might not see it as a big deal at this time.  It is to us because we're in the bubble.  Like I said I don't like the under reporting of it but there's more that's not known than what is known.  They let out a tease which for us is finally but for them they might see it as the minor story like they treated it.

Just a thought.  Not trying to keep it going but the last paragraph came to me while replying.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Except TSN did report it faster, just not in a way you deem satisfactory with a headline :) 

But I know the conspiracy narriative is a lot more fun lol

You know your my brah Rheo but I want to ask you one question, and answer it truthfully without any cleverness; What do you consider to be a bigger, more newsworthy item that would result in more clicks, eyeballs and general interest to the Canadian public, the CSA announcing who the next top guy is going to be or the CSA announcing the creation of a new coast to coast professional soccer league? Both items were in the TSN article, but headlining which item would have been more attention grabbing?

Just now, Macksam said:

You know your my brah Rheo but I want to ask you one question, and answer it truthfully without any cleverness; What do you consider to be a bigger, more newsworthy item that would result in more clicks, eyeballs and general interest to the Canadian public, the CSA announcing who the next top guy is going to be or the CSA announcing the creation of a new coast to coast professional soccer league? Both items were in the TSN article, but which headlining which item would have been more attention grabbing?

I've answered that in previous posts.  In short I agree covered badly, but I see it as an editorial choice.  

7 minutes ago, grande said:

Alright, let's start taking bets on when the next team is officially announced. I'm guessing not til end of June and (here's the kicker) it won't be Halifax)

Regina and Calgary. They already have the stadiums all figured out and potential CFL owners.

Halifax (pending stadium approval) are next

Perhaps Ottawa Fury but FC Edmonton is doubtful...perhaps the Eskimos?

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think that the fact that they were not included means that there are doubts eh??  Halifax seems the next logical domino to fall but after that...I'm not so sure.  And as far as deep pockets, if you are including the WFC that runs the Bombers as an example of deep pockets, you are very far off the mark.  I was kind of excited that the inclusion of a WPG bid involving just the Bomber ownership would lower the bar for other groups of smaller investors in Calgary, PQ, BC etc to be included in the mix.    

They did mention that they were partnering with another party to spearhead this whole thing. Considering we had that tweet on the weekend, the logical choice would appear to be Truth North but who knows.

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I've answered that in previous posts.  In short I agree covered badly, but I see it as an editorial choice.  

Incompetence does exist in every workplace but the editor would have to be a complete moron to make that choice.

Archived