Canadian Premier League

ted

11 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

because TSN hates soccer, obviously.  

They won't cover anything soccer unless they pretty much have to.

Yup, all those Champions League games, EPL games, and MLS games sure indicate TSN hates soccer.

12 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I dunno, it just seems like they don't really care about helping make something major league.  They'll cover it once it becomes major league but until that point, fuck it.  

They took the CFL when it was a dying league in the late 90's and turned it in to a key Friday night fixture, with heavy tv coverage and production values.

14 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

People don't see something on tsn they assume it's minor league, they show up like it's minor league, and hence it is minor league.

We'll have to do a lot of legwork in the beginning.

Did you assume you wouldn't have to do any legwork?  You would have to do a ton of leg work regardless of whether or not TSN gave it huge coverage.  TV is just one aspect of it.  And FYI, MLS games on TSN don't do well in the ratings.  The Whitecaps are frequently in the 50-100k range for viewership nationwide.  I would not expect good ratings for this league.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

because TSN hates soccer, obviously.  

They won't cover anything soccer unless they pretty much have to.

then again it's the same with NBL I suppose.  I dunno, it just seems like they don't really care about helping make something major league.  They'll cover it once it becomes major league but until that point, fuck it.  

Kind of frustrating because I feel like it's very much a self-fulfilling prophecy.

if people don't see something on tsn they assume it's minor league, they show up like it's minor league, and hence it is minor league.

We'll have to do a lot of legwork in the beginning.

did they sweep their schedule of all those World championships of poker and darts?  Maybe they combined those two games.  I've got three Kings...and DUCK! 

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I also was talking about casual sports fans. They want something legit and are able to become informed enough about a sport to see when something lacks cred

I don't foresee the league spending in the way that you do.  I foresee one or two DP-type players for each team, and a lot of players who have never played beyond the USL level.  They'll focus on playing Canadian players who have played at this level or in college and promote it as a place to watch Canadian players to play.  They'll work to keep salary costs heavily under control, because reports of teams losing millions upon millions each year will make the league look bad.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't foresee the league spending in the way that you do.  I foresee one or two DP-type players for each team, and a lot of players who have never played beyond the USL level.  They'll focus on playing Canadian players who have played at this level or in college and promote it as a place to watch Canadian players to play.  They'll work to keep salary costs heavily under control, because reports of teams losing millions upon millions each year will make the league look bad.

If it's $1.5m then I think it's very possible they go beyond your vision. I agree they'll sign a lot of Canadians and it will be a selling point of sorts but that's not going to make the league work well.

4 minutes ago, matty said:

If it's $1.5m then I think it's very possible they go beyond your vision. I agree they'll sign a lot of Canadians and it will be a selling point of sorts but that's not going to make the league work well.

If it's $1.5M CDN (or about$1.1M US), I don't see how it goes beyond my vision.  That's pretty low.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Yup, all those Champions League games, EPL games, and MLS games sure indicate TSN hates soccer.

They took the CFL when it was a dying league in the late 90's and turned it in to a key Friday night fixture, with heavy tv coverage and production values.

Did you assume you wouldn't have to do any legwork?  You would have to do a ton of leg work regardless of whether or not TSN gave it huge coverage.  TV is just one aspect of it.  And FYI, MLS games on TSN don't do well in the ratings.  The Whitecaps are frequently in the 50-100k range for viewership nationwide.  I would not expect good ratings for this league.

Lol

Okay, first part was meant as tongue and check.  

I don't think they hate soccer, it was a joke.  

Definitely not assuming I don't have to do legwork.  Trust me, I've been busy doing what I can.  

The coverage was pretty weak though (unless more is coming- CPL was a footnote) and I do find that they tend to give hockey Canada wayyyy better coverage than Canada soccer.  

I understand its a ratings thing but its also partly a chicken and the egg thing.  

I haven't been alive long enough to remember the CFL revival so fair enough, point taken.  

8 hours ago, Alex D said:

Because it was a league ratification not a launch party.

I'm not sure why you are kicking and screaming about a top flight Canadian soccer league, it seems like something you should want. 

I find people that end up being wrong will continue to stick by their arguments out of pride. Humans....

8 hours ago, matty said:

I think they felt this wasn't a big enough story alone.

Come on Matty...when every other sports news site did?

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Call is a conspiracy theory or not - I will double down on the idea that TSN's lack of coverage is likely due to their strong interest in MLS.  I find it hard to believe that our MLS carrier just happened to be the only media outlet that somehow missed the first real news on the biggest development in recent Canadian footy history.  That would be as silly as pretending Manning's cheap pizza analogy and other efforts to entrench CPL as D2 aren't a very intentional, strategic effort to undermine the emerging league that will absolutely compete for domestic market share.  Call it a smear, a soft smear, or whatever the hell you want - it is what it is.

Are these actions understandable from a business perspective?  Of course they are - it would be silly for them to do otherwise given their financial interests. But that doesn't change the fact that TFC spokespeople have been downplaying the status of the league before it was even launched, and the Canadian MLS broadcaster is likely to give CPL the cold shoulder in comparison to other media outlets - at least in the early days.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, longlugan said:

Moron

See my opinion on Nolbertos.

5 hours ago, masster said:

The article TSN ran was just picked up from the wire. Can we stop pretending that it actually means something? I'm sure we will get more coverage from their soccer personalities like Kristian Jack when more news is released.

They couldn't have picked up a CPL centric article or made their own? Laziness is no excuse and the article they used can't be a coincidence.

3 hours ago, matty said:

If MLS was burying the story then Fox Sports would not have covered it.

I think CPL could be it needs to be done right

I think it's Canadian MLS interests that want to put this league in its place.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

They are protecting their interest in Canada. They could care less that Fox news talks about it, no Americans will be watching it

This.

3 hours ago, matty said:

They must assume we don't use the internet.

Anyways TSN did address the CPL which is more than most outlets did

While MLSE is a powerful entity that does have influence, I doubt  they have the kind of power to tell Fox news what to do.

Jesus Christ people. Like Dyslexic Nam has mentioned, this isn't the most outlandish accusation ever made. Some of you guys are acting like this is the most rediculous thing said since people thought the world was flat.

May I remind everyone that we live in Canada, a country that is famous for its "successful" big businesses like telecommunications, airlines, banking and sports properties having bullshit protectionist policies? Still ludicrous to some of you?

On 2017-05-06 at 7:37 PM, Gordon said:

Possibly. At least regarding the endorsement by CSA. Undoubtedly Ted will be able provide a more accurate comparison than either of us. It was,15+ years ago...

Yep, the CUSL never made it this far. No committed ownership groups, and it never came to the full membership for sanctioning.

8 hours ago, nolbertos said:

If there were than 2 more team committed, why the fuck didn't they announce it yesterday??

Because they are patient and want to follow up with a whole series of good news announcements in the months ahead to make it look like they are making good progress AND to allow them to firm up applications from other markets.

Why would you blow your whole wad in one "big" announcement?

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Call is a conspiracy theory or not - I will double down on the idea that TSN's lack of coverage ...

Or how about we admit that while this could be something big in the future, right now it is barely a blip on the radar in terms of national news. Once again we are treating this news like the second coming when that is only true for the very few of us who truly care right now.

5 hours ago, matty said:

#3 in CONCACAF man

That's not how it works though. Or would you like to see a league filled with mediocre Panamanians and the likes? 

For Canadians, it's not much, especially when they have other options nearby (in the event that they're actually good enough to play in ULS / NASL). 

I think it's great that there's finally a start, but it's still an upward battle. Especially in regard to the quality of play, you can't just fool people. 

8 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Not me, actually, though I have been doing the occasional cleanup edit on there from time to time.

The current dilemma on that page is that one senior know-it-all editor (who I believe we know from these forums) insists on reverting the league's level to division 3, simply because he feels it is beneath NASL & USL.

That's weird a few days ago it said Division 1 and now says Division 2.  Is that what your talking about Gopherbashi?

Its clearly Division 1- says so in the CSA press release.  I didn't know that someone could just change Wikipedia because they don't like it.  I thought there's some moderator or something.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Not me, actually, though I have been doing the occasional cleanup edit on there from time to time.

The current dilemma on that page is that one senior know-it-all editor (who I believe we know from these forums) insists on reverting the league's level to division 3, simply because he feels it is beneath NASL & USL.

Changed it back. If we all keep at it enough he should give up. 

9 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

That's weird a few days ago it said Division 1 and now says Division 2.  Is that what your talking about Gopherbashi?

Its clearly Division 1- says so in the CSA press release.  I didn't know that someone could just change Wikipedia because they don't like it.  I thought there's some moderator or something.

Just read the wikipedia article.  I find it odd that the "history" portion includes the following:

In a March 2016 interview, Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber indicated that, from his understanding, the league would be a "lower division" of the Canadian soccer league system but he had not had discussions with organizers of the new league.

I get that he is the head of the USSF-sanctioned pro league, but I am not sure why his pronouncement of league status would be arbitrarily included in a timeline of league development, while the entry ignores the CSA's own assertion that it will be D1.  Just more of my conspiracy bullshit I guess...

6 hours ago, ted said:

Yep, the CUSL never made it this far. No committed ownership groups, and it never came to the full membership for sanctioning.

Because they are patient and want to follow up with a whole series of good news announcements in the months ahead to make it look like they are making good progress AND to allow them to firm up applications from other markets.

Why would you blow your whole wad in one "big" announcement?

Or how about we admit that while this could be something big in the future, right now it is barely a blip on the radar in terms of national news. Once again we are treating this news like the second coming when that is only true for the very few of us who truly care right now.

Many here whom were involved in the cusl were skeptical of this present Project surpassing the efforts made in year 2000, Many here whom has seen the Business plan claim it needed work, Ted some times you got to give the small guy some credit, 

I think there's something that hasn't been mentioned here that is an important point regarding media attention. The AGM was in Whistler with virtually no media present (actually it might be literally true that there were no journalists present). Any mainstream media who wanted to report on this were left with only the CSA press release and whatever interviews they could arrange. That's not a lot to go on. 

As much as that might seem like a bizarre mistake by the CSA in terms of getting the word out, I think it was very purposeful. By holding the AGM in Whistler instead of downtown Toronto, or any larger Canadian city, you are away from prying eyes, and can control exactly what gets out in terms of news and to whom. Think about what we've been given for information about who was there and what was decided. It is exactly what the CSA wanted. There have been absolutely no leaks of anything sensitive. So the relative lack of mainstream media information I think was very purposefully arranged by the CSA. Not only have they controlled the message, but for the first time they are in front of the story, after being behind it for months and years. That's quite the turnabout. 

If you apply this view to the notion that some have suggested on here, that CanPL was pushed forward so that Mont Vic could get his big pat on the back, how does tucking away the whole event in Whistler line up with Mont Vic wanting to stroke his ego? Not very well I'd say. It lines up much better with someone who is very willing to avoid the spotlight to do what needs to be done, in this case control the message. 

Heck, Regina would have been more visible. 

So now where are we? Suddenly waiting for more CSA/CanPL team announcements, checking out the CanPL website, and following the CanPL twitter feed. Well played. The tables were turned and no one noticed. That's not a complaint from me of course. I'm perfectly happy that it's the case. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

That's not how it works though. Or would you like to see a league filled with mediocre Panamanians and the likes? 

I'm pretty sure we're going to be seeing 30-50% CanCon. It seems like it's gone back up to 75% for everyone over night but I've seen no evidence supporting this.

Also I didn't say sign mediocre players, I said sign national team players from those regions who are based in their domestic leagues. The cap is high enough to do that and still have money left over

For Canadians, it's not much, especially when they have other options nearby (in the event that they're actually good enough to play in ULS / NASL). 

How is it not much for Canadian players?

1.5mCAD to USD is 1.1m. 1.1m divided by 20 is 55k USD which is well over both the NASL (most are under 40k USD) and USL (under 30k USD) average.

Even with a 25 man roster it's over the NASL average salary by a bit.

I think it's great that there's finally a start, but it's still an upward battle. Especially in regard to the quality of play, you can't just fool people. 

Yea it is which is why it needs a solid foundation to let people know it's a serious league as quickly as possible, which is doable.

A league built on the idea of a high CanCon % can't function in Canada at the current time while spending 3m a year but a league with a decent mix of Canadian and foreign talent playing around or above NASL stands a chance. A league needs to spend to up its quality on order to be a success

56 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over wikipedia. A consensus over something, which is what the wikipedia editing process is supposed to arrive at, can sometimes be wrong. Most people treat wikipedia articles with a healthy degree of skepticism.

It's hardly consensus to use verifiable sources to describe what a thing is. ;) 

I would be fine with a lower CanCon initially to ensure a quality on-field product during start up, as long as there is a really solid, mandatory plan for both player development and increasing CanCon over time.  

A significant long term objective needs to be Canadian player development, but that won't happen if the league folds within a few years due to a visibly substandard product because we made owners fill teams with Canadian university kids and skilled amateurs.  We have to take the long view on this one - and sustained league success has to be the primary objective right out of the gate.

21 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm pretty sure we're going to be seeing 30-50% CanCon. It seems like it's gone back up to 75% for everyone over night but I've seen no evidence supporting this.

Also I didn't say sign mediocre players, I said sign national team players from those regions who are based in their domestic leagues. The cap is high enough to do that and still have money left over

How is it not much for Canadian players?

1.5mCAD to USD is 1.1m. 1.1m divided by 20 is 55k USD which is well over both the NASL (most are under 40k USD) and USL (under 30k USD) average.

Even with a 25 man roster it's over the NASL average salary by a bit.

Yea it is which is why it needs a solid foundation to let people know it's a serious league as quickly as possible, which is doable.

A league built on the idea of a high CanCon % can't function in Canada at the current time while spending 3m a year but a league with a decent mix of Canadian and foreign talent playing around or above NASL stands a chance. A league needs to spend to up its quality on order to be a success

Well, then I think we agree.

You could just pay L1-players 55k and call it a high standard, but that's not going to cut it. You need to get those NASL-/ USL players aboard (which still wouldn't be nearly enough). 

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's hardly consensus to use verifiable sources to describe what a thing is. ;) 

Not sure what you are trying to say with that, but have fun editing, if that's what floats your boat. I came to the conclusion it was a waste of time and effort changing anything on there about a decade ago, because when you are dealing with the more obscure subject matter very few people using that platform understand what is supposed to be meant by neutral point of view and it tends to be a case of who has the numbers on their side to enforce edits that fit their agenda.

Archived