Canadian Premier League

ted

13 minutes ago, matty said:

Just curious, what's everyone thinking for level of play now that we know it's "tier 1" and has at least 2 CFL owners involved? Near EFLeague 1 or SPL?

Also 10 CanMNT players you picture playing in it in 2018?

I'd say more like League 2, maybe bottom half.

CMT from Europe:
Kenny Stamatopoulos,  Steven Vitória, James, Corbin-Ong, Piette, C. Trafford, Simeon Jackson, Hainult, Michael Petrasso, Iain Hume

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It will be USL level.  That's where they'll pull most of their Canadian players from.  Ownership wealth will have nothing to do with the quality of the league. ..

Yes it does

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

...The league will look to build a sustainable model built on lower end salaries (but higher than MLS started with back in it's day).

Likely but it will also need to be attractive to the public. It likely needs to be better than USL and NASL to achieve that.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Has that been confirmed or more noise come out of Regina. Regina was only from initial rumored start up teams wasn't it? Didn't think anything else had been talked about.

A city manager confirmed they were exploring a soccer team as a second tenant for Mosaic Stadium

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Yes it does.

Let me rephrase that.  Ownership wealth won't have much to do with the quality of *this* league.  All indications are that they'll implement a salary cap of some sort.  They'll worry more about the stability of the league and keep costs under control then they will about the quality.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Likely but it will also need to be attractive to the public. It likely needs to be better than USL and NASL to achieve that.

I would say that while most people on this board care about that, the casual fan won't (and couldn't tell the difference at this lower level anyway).

I agree now is a time for celebration of the CanPL as the league is confirmed. And as more news will keep coming out. I'm a big CMNT supporter and CanPL supporter and always thought it would come to be. I get the impression there are some very savvy people behind this doing lots of due diligence. I'm very excited about the prospects for Canadian soccer going forward.

Guilty I guess, as accused, of starting with a kind of negative post. But it's precisely for these reasons that TSN's response pisses me off. But in the end it's understandable.  TSN like all of us has known about this league and about this meeting and ratification vote for a long time. For me, the burden of proof lies with TSN to explain why they didn't have a short 5 paragraph article written by one of their back-desk reporters, stating the importance of this first CanPL step, ready to go with a stock photo. Getting the headline wrong speaks volumes. It does seem to be Canadian Press article which I didn't notice at first. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't pick up on that. Still, it changes little.

I'm sure TSN will in due course cover the league. They know that most of their TFC fans are also CanMNT fansl. I just think they are going to drag their ass with CanPL coverage. And so far they are proving that to be the case.

will be interesting to see which sources prove to be the most reliable from here on now that the cat is out of the bag. I know people have varying opinions of some of the people who were first on this story, but I'd argue there's a lot of credibility to be gained by people who prove to consistently get the early scoops now that the thing is definitely for real.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I would say that while most people on this board care about that, the casual fan won't (and couldn't tell the difference at this lower level anyway).

Thing is, most casual fans in Canada do want to know they're watching something decent and something with cred. Something on par with USL won't trick them into watching. The league needs to sign national team players from Canada, Central America and the Caribbean, as many MLS level players as it can and likely needs to have DPs in place to get that cred, these guys don't need to be stars but they need to have cred. Otherwise drawing 5k will be nearly impossible

16 minutes ago, matty said:

Thing is, most casual fans in Canada do want to know they're watching something decent and something with cred. Something on par with USL won't trick them into watching. The league needs to sign national team players from Canada, Central America and the Caribbean, as many MLS level players as it can and likely needs to have DPs in place to get that cred, these guys don't need to be stars but they need to have cred. Otherwise drawing 5k will be nearly impossible

Toronto Wolf pack drew over 6k on a shitty rainy day at Lamport Stadium this weekend.

I think CPL attendances will surprise people

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yet TVA Sports is doing in Quebec what RDS  (French TSN) won't

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/05/06/la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-voit-le-jour

If MLS was burying the story then Fox Sports would not have covered it.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Toronto Wolf pack drew over 6k on a shitty rainy day at Lamport Stadium this weekend.

I think CPL attendances will surprise people

I think CPL could be it needs to be done right

8 minutes ago, matty said:

If MLS was burying the story then Fox Sports would not have covered it.

They are protecting their interest in Canada. They could care less that Fox news talks about it, no Americans will be watching it

Just now, Ansem said:

They are protecting their interest in Canada. They could care less that Fox news talks about it, no Americans will be watching it

They must assume we don't use the internet.

Anyways TSN did address the CPL which is more than most outlets did

1 hour ago, matty said:

Just curious, what's everyone thinking for level of play now that we know it's "tier 1" and has at least 2 CFL owners involved? Near EFLeague 1 or SPL?

Also 10 CanMNT players you picture playing in it in 2018?

The domestic quota aside, a 60k average salary (1.5M over 25 spots) is in line with the bottom end of the SPL, top end of EFL League 2, several times USL salary, and in line with several eastern top tier European leagues. Just as a rough ballpark, obviously cost of living differs. 

Salary aside, it depends on what they peg the domestic quota as. The league will already have to overpay initially to attract interest, if they have to drastically overpay for Canadian talent the quality will drop despite the investment 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

The domestic quota aside, a 60k average salary (1.5M over 25 spots) is in line with the bottom end of the SPL, top end of EFL League 2, several times USL salary, and in line with several eastern European leagues. Just as a rough ballpark. 

Salary aside, it depends on what they peg the domestic quota as. The league will already have to overpay initially to attract interest, if they have to drastically overpay for Canadian talent the quality will drop despite the investment 

Thing to note about the salary cap that everyone here is likely wrong, not every player counts against them. If the league is following the MLS model then it'll be 1.5m over 20 players not 25. 1.5m/20 = 75k average.

There are also usually loopholes to lower how much a players salary takes up against the cap

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The domestic quota aside, a 60k average salary (1.5M over 25 spots) is in line with the bottom end of the SPL, top end of EFL League 2, several times USL salary, and in line with several eastern top tier European leagues. Just as a rough ballpark, obviously cost of living differs. 

The overpay for Canadians is my concern and probably why I might be more okay with a lower Canadian quota than most.

If salary is as good as suggested my first thought would be trying to get as many all-star NASL/USL guys.

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

I agree now is a time for celebration of the CanPL as the league is confirmed. And as more news will keep coming out. I'm a big CMNT supporter and CanPL supporter and always thought it would come to be. I get the impression there are some very savvy people behind this doing lots of due diligence. I'm very excited about the prospects for Canadian soccer going forward.

Guilty I guess, as accused, of starting with a kind of negative post. But it's precisely for these reasons that TSN's response pisses me off. But in the end it's understandable.  TSN like all of us has known about this league and about this meeting and ratification vote for a long time. For me, the burden of proof lies with TSN to explain why they didn't have a short 5 paragraph article written by one of their back-desk reporters, stating the importance of this first CanPL step, ready to go with a stock photo. Getting the headline wrong speaks volumes. It does seem to be Canadian Press article which I didn't notice at first. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't pick up on that. Still, it changes little.

I'm sure TSN will in due course cover the league. They know that most of their TFC fans are also CanMNT fansl. I just think they are going to drag their ass with CanPL coverage. And so far they are proving that to be the case.

because TSN hates soccer, obviously.  

They won't cover anything soccer unless they pretty much have to.

then again it's the same with NBL I suppose.  I dunno, it just seems like they don't really care about helping make something major league.  They'll cover it once it becomes major league but until that point, fuck it.  

Kind of frustrating because I feel like it's very much a self-fulfilling prophecy.

if people don't see something on tsn they assume it's minor league, they show up like it's minor league, and hence it is minor league.

We'll have to do a lot of legwork in the beginning.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I meant the casual sports fan.  The casual soccer fan will either show up because it's a Canadian league or won't show up at all because it's not Europe.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I meant the casual sports fan.  The casual soccer fan will either show up because it's a Canadian league or won't show up at all because it's not Europe.

I also was talking about casual sports fans. They want something legit and are able to become informed enough about a sport to see when something lacks cred

Archived