Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

And honestly I wouldn't call Manning's comments a smear at all. He's asking legitimate questions and disagreeing with CPL plan, while also protecting TFC's interests. I disagree with his assertions but he could be right. It's like BBTB, only time will tell

I think he's taking shots but yea he isn't wrong and he's not being a dick.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Wasn't you directly Matty, just the notion of it being a smear in general which I just addressed. Really should of put it in one post lol

True say

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Alex D said:

Sweet merciful fuck, they are publicly committing to a 2018 launch. There are clearly more than two teams committed. 

If there were than 2 more team committed, why the fuck didn't they announce it yesterday??  What was supposed to be this big surprise event turned up tonbe another ho hum affair.  If it gets you off seeing the launch with potentially fewer than 6 teams, go you. And all this tinfoil conspiracies that MLs sided with TSN, Sportsnet, RDS to not post this really making all of you look like scared kids if the league will survive.  MLS has bigger worries than a USL-2 startup league in their eyes.

22 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

If there were than 2 more team committed, why the fuck didn't they announce it yesterday??

Likely waiting on city or stadium approval before making things official like how Halifax is.

23 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

What was supposed to be this big surprise event turned up tonbe another ho hum affair. 

That managed to get major press for outlets including cbc and fox.

26 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

If it gets you off seeing the launch with potentially fewer than 6 teams, go you.

I agree this was botched but it seemed to work in terms of media reach.

28 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

And all this tinfoil conspiracies that MLs sided with TSN, Sportsnet, RDS to not post this really making all of you look like scared kids if the league will survive.

Yea this conspiracy is dumb

25 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

If there were than 2 more team committed, why the fuck didn't they announce it yesterday??  What was supposed to be this big surprise event turned up tonbe another ho hum affair.  If it gets you off seeing the launch with potentially fewer than 6 teams, go you. And all this tinfoil conspiracies that MLs sided with TSN, Sportsnet, RDS to not post this really making all of you look like scared kids if the league will survive.  MLS has bigger worries than a USL-2 startup league in their eyes.

Was anyone else expecting a "big surprise event"?  It's not as if CPL approval at this meeting hadn't been widely discussed here for some time before this weekend.  If this was supposed to be a secret, it has to be the worst-held secret this league could dream of (who have shown to be fairly good at withholding information in the past).

There's also a difference between announced and committed teams - I think it's fair to say that Halifax is committed, but they weren't announced yesterday - and the main reason we've heard about Halifax is because they need public approval for a pitch location.  If OFFC were committed to joining the league, that likely wouldn't be announced until their switch to that league was imminent (as with their move from NASL to USL).  Do I hope there's more teams like Winnipeg waiting in the wings, who we heard next to nothing from yet apparently had everything ready to go?  Of course, and while it's possible that this is just one giant game that everyone's playing along with just to massage Vic's ego and there's not any other teams (speaking of conspiracies), it's also possible that other teams - while committed - aren't in a polished-enough state yet for the CSA to feel justified in giving them formal approval.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I cheer for the Bombers but the one cloud on my horizon is that this has anything to do with them. They will just use the association football team to further their own ends and what you have suggested would be a perfect example of that. Playing second fiddle to the Bombers is not what I had envisioned.

Yes because I'm sure they're spending all this money to start a team and a league, to bury it to further prop up the football team.

People need to really stop with these batshit conspiracy theories because this type of cynicism is really the most dangerous thing to the league.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The Bombers are a lot of money in the hole on IG Field and they need another tenant to help them pay that bill. Don't think for a moment that that is not part of their motivation. And who will benefit from that? Not the association football team! The stadium will be owned by the Bombers.

The Bombers have shown a good deal of contempt for association football over the years so my cynicism is well founded.

I don't doubt you, but soccer hasn't been even remotely on the radar in Winnipeg sports since the early 90s, so I hardly think it fair to ascribe the same attitudes to current Bombers' brass.

59 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

If there were than 2 more team committed, why the fuck didn't they announce it yesterday??  What was supposed to be this big surprise event turned up tonbe another ho hum affair.  If it gets you off seeing the launch with potentially fewer than 6 teams, go you. 

Because it was a league ratification not a launch party.

I'm not sure why you are kicking and screaming about a top flight Canadian soccer league, it seems like something you should want. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-pro-soccer-team-1.4103688

"For the past 18 months, we have been working with the group that is spearheading this venture and have indicated our interest in founding a club here in Manitoba," said WFC president Wade Miller in a news release.

To me, that doesn't sound like WFC/Blue Bombers are the drivers or owners behind this, but are working cooperatively with whoever is "spearheading" the effort to make it work (and likely to reap some benefits from stadium use).

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

For the record, Sportsnet did cover it along with The Score, CBC, Fox Sports, and a slew of others. I don't think there is a conspiracy, but it does look like TSN was caught a bit flat footed on this one considering the interest it has garnered on social media

9 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

For the record, Sportsnet did cover it along with The Score, CBC, Fox Sports, and a slew of others. I don't think there is a conspiracy, but it does look like TSN was caught a bit flat footed on this one considering the interest it has garnered on social media

I think they felt this wasn't a big enough story alone.

TWITTER NOTE: Matt Bennett, OSEG's Director, Partnerships and Special Events, is following the league and the league is following him. Interesting to see such a high up figure within that organisation interacting.

There's also a number of Canadian D3 teams and players following the league but the big player stand out is Tesho, who is following the league without being followed by it atm. I think he is the first active Canadian MLS player to directly acknowledge the CPL.

Call is a conspiracy theory or not - I will double down on the idea that TSN's lack of coverage is likely due to their strong interest in MLS.  I find it hard to believe that our MLS carrier just happened to be the only media outlet that somehow missed the first real news on the biggest development in recent Canadian footy history.  That would be as silly as pretending Manning's cheap pizza analogy and other efforts to entrench CPL as D2 aren't a very intentional, strategic effort to undermine the emerging league that will absolutely compete for domestic market share.  Call it a smear, a soft smear, or whatever the hell you want - it is what it is.

Are these actions understandable from a business perspective?  Of course they are - it would be silly for them to do otherwise given their financial interests. But that doesn't change the fact that TFC spokespeople have been downplaying the status of the league before it was even launched, and the Canadian MLS broadcaster is likely to give CPL the cold shoulder in comparison to other media outlets - at least in the early days.

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Call is a conspiracy theory or not - I will double down on the idea that TSN's lack of coverage is likely due to their strong interest in MLS.  I find it hard to believe that our MLS carrier just happened to be the only media outlet that somehow missed the first real news on the biggest development in recent Canadian footy history.  That would be as silly as pretending Manning's cheap pizza analogy and other efforts to entrench CPL as D2 aren't a very intentional, strategic effort to undermine the emerging league that will absolutely compete for domestic market share.  Call it a smear, a soft smear, or whatever the hell you want - it is what it is.

Are these actions understandable from a business perspective?  Of course they are - it would be silly for them to do otherwise given their financial interests. But that doesn't change the fact that TFC spokespeople have been downplaying the status of the league before it was even launched, and the Canadian MLS broadcaster is likely to give CPL the cold shoulder in comparison to other media outlets - at least in the early days.

Counterpoint: TVA Sports is the Impact MLS broadcaster and they have an article up on their site. 

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/05/06/la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-voit-le-jour

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

-They wrote about it briefly as part of a larger story.
-They carry CFL
-MLS's US broadcaster covered it
-TSN employees and shows are following the CPL on Twitter and Tweeting about it
-TSN Radio Vancouver retweeted several Tweets about the CPL including the CSA's tweets

THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

OK his lack of coverage annoyed me. All the ink in the world for Manning’s critiques, not even a retweet for anything yesterday. 

Well, he's not Canadian, is dismissive of most anything outside Toronto itself, and collects a paycheque now from mlssoccer.com, so that's hardly a surprise.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Having Canadian sports media cover the league didn't surprise me one bit. Having mainstream news outlets do the same, sure. American news and sports outlets, I admit I was a bit surprised. But having a preeminent business magazine like Forbes actually take notice of the league, and only the day after? This is about as unexpected as the Spanish Inquisition. 

1 minute ago, m-g-williams said:

Having Canadian sports media cover the league didn't surprise me one bit. Having mainstream news outlets do the same, sure. American news and sports outlets, I admit I was a bit surprised. But having a preeminent business magazine like Forbes actually take notice of the league, and only the day after? This is about as unexpected as the Spanish Inquisition. 

Forbes.com, while connected to the magazine, isn't as well run or respected. I'd say the fact Univision and Fox covered it was way bigger

15 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It looks like they still have a lot of work to do even on that timeline. Are we really expected to believe that the 10 expressions of interest haven't been evaluauted yet by either the CSA or the two CPL ownership groups given what we know has been happening in Halifax? The press release looks more like a call for investors to get the numbers up to where they need to be. Six is enough for a soft launch, but it's eight they need for a stable credible league and that's a big ask when the three primary markets are occupied by MLS and two of the others have major question marks hanging over them. Overall, yesterday was about what I expected was really happening given that backdrop and based on the posturing that has been happening, but I thought it would be Calgary rather than Winnipeg in the west and that Ottawa would probably throw their hat into the ring as well. Will be interesting to see what FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury have to say on this subject over the next few days, because those are the dominos that probably need to fall over the next 90 days for something to happen in the fall of 2018.

Moron

TSN/MLS/TFC all want to support, or at least appear to support, the CanPL and CMNT. Just like they support motherhood. But never, ever, will they let it diminish their business property. TSN covers MLS in Canada *and* the CMNT too. Puts them in a bit of a tight spot. But their article on their website tells us everything we need to know about where their allegiance lies. It was disingenuous at best. Pretending that the appointment of Reed as the new CSA pres is the headline of the day and burying mention of the league to the end of the article? C'mon ....

This is going to be a headwind the CanPL will be facing. But I don't doubt they know all about it and are planning accordingly.

Archived