Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh Please, not another copy cat of a European name.  Generic "insert city name here" football club is boring.  Real, Inter, United, Sporting, Athletico should all be avoided.  Halifax wanderers sounds great and has a history with the city.  They should be able to come up with something for WPG. And if it really doesnt involve True north that is a big blow.  Was hoping those deep pockets would be involved.

No some random animal or (worse) natural disaster is way better than something sport-connected...

Everyone keeps saying that Winnipeg and Hamilton are the only confirmed teams but I don't think that is true.  All we really know is that the CPL is confirmed, that Winnipeg and Hamilton ownership groups have been approved as CSA members, and that both ownership groups have formally expressed a desire to launch CPL teams.  The obvious assumption is that those two groups will have CPL teams (and I have no doubt that they will) but at this point, no teams have been confirmed as accepted teams in the CPL have they?  Maybe I have misunderstood something (which is always possible :) ) 

10 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Everyone keeps saying that Winnipeg and Hamilton are the only confirmed teams but I don't think that is true.  All we really know is that the CPL is confirmed, that Winnipeg and Hamilton ownership groups have been approved as CSA members, and that both ownership groups have formally expressed a desire to launch CPL teams.  The obvious assumption is that those two groups will have CPL teams (and I have no doubt that they will) but at this point, no teams have been confirmed as accepted teams in the CPL have they?  Maybe I have misunderstood something (which is always possible :) ) 

Ok so I re-read the releases and I see that Winnipeg and Hamilton are termed 'founding cities' so I guess I did misunderstand.

12 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Ok so I re-read the releases and I see that Winnipeg and Hamilton are termed 'founding cities' so I guess I did misunderstand.

I'm fine with our two cities having the only teams in the league, it will be like the old days when we always met in the Grey Cup!:D

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Oh Please, not another copy cat of a European name.  Generic "insert city name here" football club is boring.  Real, Inter, United, Sporting, Athletico should all be avoided.  Halifax wanderers sounds great and has a history with the city.  They should be able to come up with something for WPG. And if it really doesnt involve True north that is a big blow.  Was hoping those deep pockets would be involved.

It was 100% a joke (based on the rare situation where they actually fulfill the meaning behind a Spotting Club... Having teams in multiple sports) 

For the record. The Winnipeg Football Club was referred to as "WFC" on bluebombers.com in the text release announcing the clubs involvement in the CPL. I hope they keep the blue and gold too. We could even put "1930" on the team crest. Considering that is when the Winnipeg Football Club was founded... after all.

And the dude far left in that picture is Wade Miller. Former Bomber, local businessman, and current President/CEO of the B & G. Played a big role in turning the club around over the last few years. With him running things, you can count on the club doing things right.

Just now, Ansem said:

I find the lack of TSN coverage disturbing. 

Anyone thinks MLS asked them not to talk about them?

Probably more likely that they thought it wasn't a big enough story to cover. Hopefully the social media reaction (trending top 5 in Canada on Twitter) will convince them otherwise

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Probably more likely that they thought it wasn't a big enough story to cover. Hopefully the social media reaction (trending top 5 in Canada on Twitter) will convince them otherwise

RDS  (French TSN) are also acting CPL doesn't exist

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

I was expecting both Sportsnet and TSN to bury the announcement. However, Sportsnet managed to give the league its own piece to my surprise. I'm guessing TSN's heavy alignment with MLS probably has something to do with its snub of the CPL.

BTW Mario, this is just the beginning of the budding smear campaign against this league. Despite the MLS teams being openly "supportive" of the league, they'll take every opportunity they can to cut it down.

We'll know this league has made it when MLS starts courting a successful Calgary or Ottawa CPL club that's in talks of building a 20,000 seat SSS.

What smear campaign stop starting shit where there is none , please!

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Draft from where? Canadian Universities and D3?

Also ncaa

3 minutes ago, 1996 said:

What smear campaign stop starting shit where there is none , please!

There's been, what could be called a soft smear campaign, launched by tfc. That said I don't think there's a grand tsn/mls conspiracy.

You're "smear campaign" is their protecting their interests which they would be stupid not to do.

I've found the lack of mention on TSN is surprising given they are the tv partner of the CSA but it is what it is. 

As for a draft I expect there to be one. It'll be a traditional North American entry draft and something for the purists to complain about :)

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

You're "smear campaign" is their protecting their interests which they would be stupid not to do.

I've found the lack of mention on TSN is surprising given they are the tv partner of the CSA but it is what it is. 

As for a draft I expect there to be one. It'll be a traditional North American entry draft and something for the purists to complain about :)

As long as it isn't structured in a way that interferes with having D3 affiliates or gets in the way of academies, I'll be happy. 

Really, getting a direct way to enter CPL from D3 would be huge for those leagues, and probably makes switching from PDL a better business decision for the holdouts

Oh i have no issue with their smear campaign and agree with everythinf you said

And honestly I wouldn't call Manning's comments a smear at all. He's asking legitimate questions and disagreeing with CPL plan, while also protecting TFC's interests. I disagree with his assertions but he could be right. It's like BBTB, only time will tell

Just now, matty said:

Oh i have no issue with their smear campaign and agree with everythinf you said

Wasn't you directly Matty, just the notion of it being a smear in general which I just addressed. Really should of put it in one post lol

23 minutes ago, matty said:

There's been, what could be called a soft smear campaign, launched by tfc. That said I don't think there's a grand tsn/mls conspiracy.

If they are, I don't think it's working. 

Obviously the online world isn't everything, but there has been a huge shift in the last 6 months on reddit and other social platforms where CPL pops up. Nothing but knee jerk skepticism before, almost unanimous excitement and optimism in the last 3-4 months

Maybe a little more skepticism outside those forums, but the narrative gets shaped quite often from those types of places, and it'll have an effect when anyone looking online for information find optimism

And honestly I wouldn't call Manning's comments a smear at all. He's asking legitimate questions and disagreeing with CPL plan, while also protecting TFC's interests. I disagree with his assertions but he could be right. It's like BBTB, only time will tell

I'd call taking every opportunity to say that CPL will be minor league and saying that CPL should be taking TFC III is a low key attempt to control the narrative. Not quite a smear campaign, but definitely attempting to frame it in their best interests. Which is understandable but a bit frustrating when he gets free reign in the Sun. 

That said, CBC is the most read news site in Canada. With guys like Nigel Reed championing CPL now, I don't think the Sun will be the biggest platform talking about the league anymore. 

Archived