Jump to content

Canadian Premier League


ted
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Futballer said:

Canadian Premier Soccer League will increase Competition in North America http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-enters-new-era-with-approval-of-canadian-premier-league-p160774 

 

That's good news and I am hoping they go for all 10 teams from the jump. If they can add 2 to 4 teams later on well would be awesome as well. Can't wait to see more news the CPL when it comes to start of league, teams, and more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Scorpion26 said:

That's good news and I am hoping they go for all 10 teams from the jump. If they can add 2 to 4 teams later on well would be awesome as well. Can't wait to see more news the CPL when it comes to start of league, teams, and more.

Hey its gonna be an exciting year ahead 20170506_report_think_act_www.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Futballer said:

Hey its gonna be an exciting year ahead 20170506_report_think_act_www.jpg

 I live in NY, but I am excited to see Canada step up some more. Going to be great to see Canada evolve as a soccer nation the next decade. We got players for sure, but the team needs to be better built and more consistent overall. Will all have to be patient and see the slow growth occur. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, fengshui said:

I was looking for more evidence that True North was involved as well, but so far, it only seems to be that one tweet posted a few pages back about someone "hearing" that True North are involved. Early days, I guess, and we just have to wait for the details to emerge.

It seems primarily based on Rollins, who I think deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point. Not gospel, but outside missed announcement dates he's been pretty bang on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It seems primarily based on Rollins, who I think deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point. Not gospel, but outside missed announcement dates he's been pretty bang on

what difference does it makes if its true north or not as the  franchise ownership group Winnipeg has a CPL sanctioned Franchise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Futballer said:

what difference does it makes if its true north or not as the  franchise ownership group Winnipeg has a CPL sanctioned Franchise. 

Billions of dollars of backing vs a community owned team with revenue of ~30 million. 

Not saying the Bombers can't do it on their own, but any TNSE involvement would really improve their chances

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Billions of dollars of backing vs a community owned team with revenue of ~30 million. 

Not saying the Bombers can't do it on their own, but any TNSE involvement would really improve their chances

That's why I was interested as well. It would immediately put Winnipeg on a very solid foundation. We know from experience that not all owners in Canadian pro sports franchises have had the financial capability to be successful. TNSE is currently constructing a $400 million multi-tower development called True North Square next to their arena in downtown Winnipeg to leverage their success with the Jets. We know they get things done in this town, so their involvement in the team would give locals ample evidence that this is going to be a serious league (and hopefully drive some ticket sales).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Anybody noticed the TSN announcement (or non) of the CPL? Last paragraph of new president election of CSA. I guess they won't be the tv provider for the new league.:(

 

I was expecting both Sportsnet and TSN to bury the announcement. However, Sportsnet managed to give the league its own piece to my surprise. I'm guessing TSN's heavy alignment with MLS probably has something to do with its snub of the CPL.

BTW Mario, this is just the beginning of the budding smear campaign against this league. Despite the MLS teams being openly "supportive" of the league, they'll take every opportunity they can to cut it down.

We'll know this league has made it when MLS starts courting a successful Calgary or Ottawa CPL club that's in talks of building a 20,000 seat SSS.

Edited by Macksam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Anybody noticed the TSN announcement (or non) of the CPL? Last paragraph of new president election of CSA. I guess they won't be the tv provider for the new league.:(

 

Thinking bein is gonna get it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Hamilton and Winnipeg were the only teams formally confirmed when Soccer Canada members voted to approve the CPL's membership in the sport's national body Saturday. But Halifax, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton are also expected to be among the first members of the league.

Think that's probably just a case of stating the obvious of which cities are needed plus Halifax if the three primary markets aren't involved. Beyond that I didn't realize "Winnipeg Football Club" refers to the owners of the Blue Bombers:

The Winnipeg team will be owned by the Winnipeg Football Club, which also owns the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.

Had assumed that was what they were planning to call their soccer team.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hamilton and Winnipeg were the only teams formally confirmed when Soccer Canada members voted to approve the CPL's membership in the sport's national body Saturday. But Halifax, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton are also expected to be among the first members of the league.

Think that's probably just a case of stating the obvious of which cities are needed plus Halifax if the three primary markets aren't involved. Beyond that I didn't realise "Winnipeg Football Club" refers to the owners of the Blue Bombers:

The Winnipeg team will be owned by the Winnipeg Football Club, which also owns the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.

Had assumed that was what they were planning to call their soccer team.

Yup, Winnipeg Football Club is the legal entity, Blue Bombers is the team. 

Time for "Sporting Winnipeg" ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh Please, not another copy cat of a European name.  Generic "insert city name here" football club is boring.  Real, Inter, United, Sporting, Athletico should all be avoided.  Halifax wanderers sounds great and has a history with the city.  They should be able to come up with something for WPG. And if it really doesnt involve True north that is a big blow.  Was hoping those deep pockets would be involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...