Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think it's intentionally vague because one or both of Ottawa or Edmonton are joining and they have to be protected.

Im guessing both cities.... just makes sense

Edmonton playing in a league where their road trips include California, Florida and Puerto Rico is just dumb.

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Im guessing both cities.... just makes sense

Edmonton playing in a league where their road trips include California, Florida and Puerto Rico is just dumb.

I honestly think Edmonton too.  If they can play home games against Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa it will generate more press, sponsorship and attendance than San Fran, Jacksonville and Peurto Rico.  

Not to mention the reduced travel costs.

So if Ottawa joins, aren'd they technically IMFC farm team, so fhat would mean this CPL will accept USL2 sides, contrary to what they stated.  Also regarding Edmonton, Steve Sandor has stated that Fath or the Oilers ownership aren't interested, so who would be interested in competing against FC Edmonton?? Isn't the Brick's stores owner from edmonton??

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

So if Ottawa joins, aren'd they technically IMFC farm team, so fhat would mean this CPL will accept USL2 sides, contrary to what they stated.  Also regarding Edmonton, Steve Sandor has stated that Fath or the Oilers ownership aren't interested, so who would be interested in competing against FC Edmonton?? Isn't the Brick's stores owner from edmonton??

Ottawa Fury is not an MLS farm team.

18 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

CanPL would probably have loan regulations where players would have to commit for the entire season. If they can be recalled by MLS teams whenever then certainly it gives the impression of CanPL being minor league.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

The only person I've seen on twitter using #cpl is Totera. The CSA announcement even used #CanPL 

CPL is too vague and we all have to change. Gonna tell him that lol

Considering we have the CFL and the CHL, it just strikes me as odd that we wouldn't also use CPL - like they do for the Twitter account. And I don't really see how it's vague. Pretty well every other Canadian league, institution and government body including a "C" in its abbreviation seems to do just fine and avoid any sort of confusion. I know that CanPL has been used much more widely, but it's always bugged me a little. 

As for the cricket league, isn't that CPLT20 or something to that effect? 

Again, I'm thrilled at the announcement (finally) and I can't wait to see things move forward. But since 90% of this thread is debating semantics . . . well, I felt I should join in. : ) 

21 minutes ago, Metroimpact said:

CanPL would probably have loan regulations where players would have to commit for the entire season. If they can be recalled by MLS teams whenever then certainly it gives the impression of CanPL being minor league.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Just now, m-g-williams said:

Considering we have the CFL and the CHL, it just strikes me as odd that we wouldn't also use CPL - like they do for the Twitter account. And I don't really see how it's vague. Pretty well every other Canadian league, institution and government body including a "C" in its abbreviation seems to do just fine and avoid any sort of confusion. I know that CanPL has been used much more widely, but it's always bugged me a little. 

Again, I'm thrilled at the announcement (finally) and I can't wait to see things move forward. But since 90% of this thread is debating semantics . . . well, I felt I should join in. : ) 

Yeah, considering they used CPLsoccer for Twitter, it would've been nice for them to use cplsoccer.com for the website.  It could even match MLS's style.

4 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Vague was the wrong choice of words (I blame the beer) As was pointed out, earlier a cricket league uses it as their hashtag. The league will be known as the CPL but the hashtag can be different to distinguish it. Big picture it's not anything major. Just think a unified hashtag would be better long term. But as I said it's really a small issue

2 hours ago, nolbertos said:

no. IMFC loaned them a few players...and very few of them are playing much. Ottawa is very much it's own team.

3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Well, the CPL is launching and look like 2019 or 2020, with 2 confirmed teams and 4 iffy teams. I'll be watching this like a hawk because rhe CUSL proposal got to this stage and couldn't get more investors on board and got scrapped.  I hope for Canadian Soccer it succeeds, but this looks more like Mont Vic wanting a last photo op and then leave and not caring if the CPL gets enough concrete interest or not.  They way they keep pushing this thing helps MLS get better entrenched moreso across Canada.  I hope a CPL takes Tiebert, Richie, Froese, Adekugbe or Bustos.  They're not MLS ready but might make a career in the CPL.

what gives you the impression of 2019 or 2020 with 6 teams when basically every source has said a launch in august of 2018? Just curious.

9 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

what gives you the impression of 2019 or 2020 with 6 teams when basically every source has said a launch in august of 2018? Just curious.

Look at all his previous posts in this thread. You'll understand why after that. 

Bold prediction: The Canadian Premier League is going to be the biggest shake up to the Canadian sports landscape since the WHA from the 1970s...and not a minute too soon I say. God knows this country needs a shot in the arm from all the professional sports monopoly bull shit we have to endure.

4 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Hmm, I'll have to take a look again, but I recall rhe CSA "endorsed" the plan and no takers.  The CSA is "endorsing" this new league, and so far 2 confirmed teams.  I think it would've worked better with 6 confirmed teams like MLS launched with 8-10 teams.  2 looks more like, its a work in progress that has no end timeline to launch.

Sweet merciful fuck, they are publicly committing to a 2018 launch. There are clearly more than two teams committed. 

I've figured it out! It'll be the Winnipeg Drones FC, to fit the theme of Winnipeg and ar based weapons, and every game will feature Drone Bomb Me by Anohni ;) but seriously if maybe establishing a proper "Athletic Club" in Canada is due. Some might hate it but Winnipeg Blue Bombers SC and FC could be fitting

31 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Bold prediction: The Canadian Premier League is going to be the biggest shake up to the Canadian sports landscape since the WHA from the 1970s...and not a minute too soon I say. God knows this country needs a shot in the arm from all the professional sports monopoly bull shit we have to endure.

It's the single most ambitious project in North American sports (not counting e-sports) since the XFL so your statement about Canada is 100% correct. Thankfully it isn't run by a single borderline insane man like the XFL

6 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Well, the CPL is launching and look like 2019 or 2020, with 2 confirmed teams and 4 iffy teams...

It looks like they still have a lot of work to do even on that timeline. Are we really expected to believe that the 10 expressions of interest haven't been evaluauted yet by either the CSA or the two CPL ownership groups given what we know has been happening in Halifax? The press release looks more like a call for investors to get the numbers up to where they need to be. Six is enough for a soft launch, but it's eight they need for a stable credible league and that's a big ask when the three primary markets are occupied by MLS and two of the others have major question marks hanging over them. Overall, yesterday was about what I expected was really happening given that backdrop and based on the posturing that has been happening, but I thought it would be Calgary rather than Winnipeg in the west and that Ottawa would probably throw their hat into the ring as well. Will be interesting to see what FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury have to say on this subject over the next few days, because those are the dominos that probably need to fall over the next 90 days for something to happen in the fall of 2018.

Although there have been tweets suggesting True North are involved in Winnipeg, I don't see anything in the press release on the Blue Bombers' website to suggest that is the case:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/06/winnipeg-football-club-looks-bringing-professional-soccer-manitoba/

The Winnipeg newspapers basically seem to have used the press release close to verbatim in places and don't seem to see the story as being worth exploring any deeper:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/05/06/bombers-working-on-bringing-pro-soccer-to-winnipeg

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/winnipeg-makes-pitch-to-getting-in-on-proposed-canadian-soccer-league-421545743.html

I was looking for more evidence that True North was involved as well, but so far, it only seems to be that one tweet posted a few pages back about someone "hearing" that True North are involved. Early days, I guess, and we just have to wait for the details to emerge.

Archived