Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the CBC article says they're evaluating 10 candidates over the next few months. This isn't based on any facts, but it feels to me this soft launch in 2018 thing is because they don't want to turn down viable bids that could be ready by may 2019...but it sorta begs the question, why the rush to start in 2018?

But what do I know? I'm not a billionaire.

Talking to the Windsor League 1 team on twitter  after they posted about the league and they said budget needed  is OHL level tagging in the Spits. Not sure what that would be but interesting to me 

Also the CPL twitter account is up

working alongside the group that is committed to bringing a Tier 1 FIFA sanctioned soccer league to Canada.

The proposed league, the Canadian Premier League (CPL) – will place teams in many markets and will assemble an ownership group of owner/operators with world-class experience. 

^^^^

Made my day

Great news. Will definitely be at Investors Group Field to catch the action.

Will be interested to see if Winnipeg goes back to the Fury branding or starts something new (kinda the same dilemma True North had with the Jets) .

Well, the CPL is launching and look like 2019 or 2020, with 2 confirmed teams and 4 iffy teams. I'll be watching this like a hawk because rhe CUSL proposal got to this stage and couldn't get more investors on board and got scrapped.  I hope for Canadian Soccer it succeeds, but this looks more like Mont Vic wanting a last photo op and then leave and not caring if the CPL gets enough concrete interest or not.  They way they keep pushing this thing helps MLS get better entrenched moreso across Canada.  I hope a CPL takes Tiebert, Richie, Froese, Adekugbe or Bustos.  They're not MLS ready but might make a career in the CPL.

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Well, the CPL is launching and look like 2019 or 2020, with 2 confirmed teams and 4 iffy teams. I'll be watching this like a hawk because rhe CUSL proposal got to this stage and couldn't get more investors on board and got scrapped.  I hope for Canadian Soccer it succeeds, but this looks more like Mont Vic wanting a last photo op and then leave and not caring if the CPL gets enough concrete interest or not.  They way they keep pushing this thing helps MLS get better entrenched moreso across Canada.  I hope a CPL takes Tiebert, Richie, Froese, Adekugbe or Bustos.  They're not MLS ready but might make a career in the CPL.

Your memory fails you. CUSL never got anywhere near close to this stage. A working group put out a conceptual business plan and it was bailed upon almost immediately after release. 

Just now, Gordon said:

Your memory fails you. CUSL never got anywhere near close to this stage. A working group put out a conceptual business plan and it was bailed upon almost immediately after release. 

Hmm, I'll have to take a look again, but I recall rhe CSA "endorsed" the plan and no takers.  The CSA is "endorsing" this new league, and so far 2 confirmed teams.  I think it would've worked better with 6 confirmed teams like MLS launched with 8-10 teams.  2 looks more like, its a work in progress that has no end timeline to launch.

4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Hmm, I'll have to take a look again, but I recall rhe CSA "endorsed" the plan and no takers.  The CSA is "endorsing" this new league, and so far 2 confirmed teams.  I think it would've worked better with 6 confirmed teams like MLS launched with 8-10 teams.  2 looks more like, its a work in progress that has no end timeline to launch.

Possibly. At least regarding the endorsement by CSA. Undoubtedly Ted will be able provide a more accurate comparison than either of us. It was,15+ years ago...

The way I'm reading it is : The Canadian Soccer Association is announcing 1) it's approval of the CanPL as well as 2) Hamilton and Winnipeg being added as new CSA member teams. The CSA seems to be deliberately avoiding discussion of the initial list of CanPL teams. Hopefully there will be a big splashy announcement soon. It makes sense that it would follow rather than be on the same day as an AGM and that it would be announced by the CanPL itself ....

Totally stoked for this !

Archived