Canadian Premier League

ted

"Fuck money is that money that you fuck with. Money you wipe your ass with. I want to sleep with every Asian in the world and have their father tuck me into bed for fun. that is fuck money.  I live for fuck money. one life to live and one life to fuck"

- Virgil (Yes this Virgil defined fuck money)

virgil2.jpg

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

I remember seeing this in one of the forums I don't remember where but this would be genius ( but  they would play in Vaughan or Mississauga)

IMG_8726.PNG

Did this a while back, and probably going to polish it a bit, especially when I finish my Lamport stadium reconstruction.

I agree that TCU sounds nice, and different from TFC.....but wonder if it sounds too gimmicky. 

Vaughn needs to stop being mentioned. It's wayyy to far out, especially the soccer centre. They don't brand themselves as the city above Toronto for no reason. 

The success of a team is all about location, and accessibility. Downsview was the perfect spot for any second team...but with TFC owning the land there, I can't see another team going there. 

Damocles (/ˈdæməklz/; Greek: Δαμοκλῆς Dāmoklē̂s, literally: "fame of the people") is a figure featured in a single moral anecdote commonly referred to as "the Sword of Damocles",[1][2] an allusion to the imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power. The Damocles of the anecdote was an obsequious courtier in the court of Dionysius II of Syracuse, a 4th-century BC tyrant of Syracuse, Sicily.

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Vaughn needs to stop being mentioned. It's wayyy to far out, especially the soccer centre. They don't brand themselves as the city above Toronto for no reason. 

The success of a team is all about location, and accessibility. Downsview was the perfect spot for any second team...but with TFC owning the land there, I can't see another team going there. 

The new TTC subway (no not Scarborough) is opening soon and will go further north than Downsview and further north than York University and right into the Vaughan City Centre. 

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

The new TTC subway (no not Scarborough) is opening soon and will go further north than Downsview and further north than York University and right into the Vaughan City Centre. 

hhmmm didn't know.

Is this the same thing Tory is begging the provincials for more money to complete the project (on-time)?

Regardless....as I live outside of the TTC map, that doesn't change my perception of accessibility. This second team will have to market to the entire GTA.

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

I just heard they were from Ghana.  

Do even third division UK London teams use the London name? 

Do the two famous Glasgow teams in Scotland have to use their city name?  

well not within their own league.  

I get it..but North American sports are different. And like someone said above, the city name (Toronto) would bring more marketing and sponsorship money then one with out.

I mean we all know we can't compare anything soccer related to England....in a perfect world yes....but even our OHL teams have city names in them.

43 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

IMG_8734.thumb.PNG.40f100cce248c04cc140094a778e5d43.PNGMaybe they could play at York U stadium it fits 12k people  just put seats, Benches and stuff on the track like they did in Moncton for the women's World Cup 

4 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

hhmmm didn't know.

Is this the same thing Tory is begging the provincials for more money to complete the project (on-time)?

Regardless....as I live outside of the TTC map, that doesn't change my perception of accessibility. This second team will have to market to the entire GTA.

No, the Vaughan extension should be operational by the end of the year.  Just in time for a 2018 CPL season. ;) 

In all seriousness though, Downsview isn't a great place for a stadium - too far north of the densely-packed downtown for those living there to care about it, and not located close enough to any other major civic centres for anyone to feel particularly attached to it based on location alone.

I don't think Vaughan would be a good place for a team - it doesn't have enough of an independent civic identity to attract a strong following, nor does it have a national (or really even regional) prestige that would increase the stature (and advertising appeal) of the league.  If there's going to be a northern GTA team, I honestly think a North York identity would have a better chance of sticking than Vaughan would... take out the running track at Esther Shiner, put in some stadium upgrades, and give BBTB the chance to make a ton of new CSL doomsday predictions.  You'd probably capture more York Region fans for a North York team than you would vice-versa, and you might be able to take advantage of a "we're not those guys from downtown" counterculture.

In terms of branding for a GTA team... I think throwing "Toronto" in there would be preferred if possible, but that doesn't necessarily end your options for a regional co-branding.  To me, "Toronto East FC" or "Toronto Rouge FC" sounds a bit better than "Scarborough FC" while possibly bringing in some of Durham Region; same with "Toronto Humber" or "Toronto Grenadiers" vs "Etobicoke FC" (with potential draw to Halton/Peel).  Still gives some local identity while sounding big.  I figure Mississauga is well-known enough to have national appeal, but anywhere else that has a team may want to rely on some "Toronto X" co-branding.

In terms of prestige & sponsorship though - most first impressions will be based on how the league starts, and sponsors won't be an exception to that.  From most recent rumours we hear, it doesn't sound like there will be a GTA team to start off, nor are there any reliable whispers about any GTA expansion soon after that.  Even if a GTA team shows up in year 4 or 5, first impressions will have already been long made, and calling something "Mississauga" vs "Toronto" may not make as big of an impact as it would early on.

if  there is  a club in Mississauga if would be cool to see Sigma FC Become a professional club considering they already have a academy structure and the amount of players they produce ( Cyle Larin &  kyle bekker  were one of many) all Sigma need is  a suitable stadium ( temprorary stadium at the Hershey centre ?) and billionaire (or millionaire) owner 

3 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

if  there is  a club in Mississauga if would be cool to see Sigma FC Become a professional club considering they already have a academy structure and the amount of players they produce ( Cyle Larin &  kyle bekker  were one of many) all Sigma need is  a suitable stadium and billionaire (or millionaire) owner 

5 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

If there's going to be a northern GTA team, I honestly think a North York identity would have a better chance of sticking than Vaughan would... take out the running track at Esther Shiner, put in some stadium upgrades, and give BBTB the chance to make a ton of new CSL doomsday predictions.  You'd probably capture more York Region fans for a North York team than you would vice-versa, and you might be able to take advantage of a "we're not those guys from downtown" counterculture.

Hmmm I like it....Esther Shiner is a really good option if were talking about location. But I think it would need a substantial amount of an investment in renovations to make this site feasible. 

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Hmmm I like it....Esther Shiner is a really good option if were talking about location. But I think it would need a substantial amount of an investment in renovations to make this site feasible. 

The owner of the Toronto CPL Club should buy Esther shiner and Take the turf off make it natural grass put stands on the track 

3 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

The owner of the Toronto CPL Club should buy Esther shiner and Take the turf off make it natural grass put stands on the track 

Funny thing it used to be natural grass....but it was shit.

Funny thing is the turf now is even worse then the grass was. If you want to see a turf field with an uneven playing surface consisting of bumps and divots got to ESS. 

1 minute ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

I think stadiums that the Toronto CPL would play in is either Varsity Stadium,York U Stadium , lamport or Esther shiner but they would try to renovate the stadium they play in 

Varsity is the worst stadium they could possibly play at followed by York. Also why not Birchmount?

Archived