Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

A little off the current topic but a last week I think someone posted about Bill Manning saying TFC2 could draw 5000 people a game in the CPL and that they doubled their ticket sales for this year.

Well I just took a look at the hilights from their Friday game and the official attendance was 500 people although judging by my eyes they may have counted everyone there twice. I think this gives the USL a terrible image. One one hand you have some great independent clubs like Sacramento with filled stadiums then the next week they are playing in front of a couple hundred people in a mostly empty high school field. 

The more I see of this the happier I am CPL will be avoiding this pitfall.

One thing I will agree is that I cant see a Toronto soccer team one  not playing in MLS averaging 5000 a game it does not matter who the team is TFC2 or an independent team owned by Tim Hortons. A second Toronto MLS team playing at a brand new soccer stadium in Downsview Park maybe,  but not in another league viewed as a second level to the MLS. Toronto is a different animal unless you live here you just don't understand. Just let me put it to you this way and just think about this. I can almost count on more than  one hand how many Major Junior Hockey league teams have failed in Toronto. We are talking Major Junior Hockey a league that is almost a religion in most Canadian cities across Canada  and yet could not draw flies in Toronto and even in suburbs minutes from Toronto. However, you can put three NHL teams in Toronto and they would do well financially. Even two NFL teams would make it in Toronto never mind one, two NBA teams even another MLB team. Toronto is just Toronto it's a different animal, there is NYC, LA and then Toronto I believe in terms of major North American cities, it's a different animal.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, 1996 said:

One thing I will agree is that I cant see a Toronto soccer team one  not playing in MLS averaging 5000 a game it does not matter who the team is TFC2 or an independent team owned by Tim Hortons. A second Toronto MLS team playing at a brand new soccer stadium in Downsview Park maybe,  but not in another league viewed as a second level to the MLS. Toronto is a different animal unless you live here you just don't understand. Just let me put it to you this way and just think about this. I can almost count on more than  one hand how many Major Junior Hockey league teams have failed in Toronto. We are talking Major Junior Hockey a league that is almost a religion in most Canadian cities across Canada  and yet could not draw flies in Toronto and even in suburbs minutes from Toronto. However, you can put three NHL teams in Toronto and they would do well financially. Even two NFL teams would make it in Toronto never mind one, two NBA teams even another MLB team. Toronto is just Toronto it's a different animal, there is NYC, LA and then Toronto I believe in terms of major North American cities, it's a different animal.

would you consider Vaughn part of Toronto, or a seperate city?

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

One thing I will agree is that I cant see a Toronto soccer team one  not playing in MLS averaging 5000 a game it does not matter who the team is TFC2 or an independent team owned by Tim Hortons. A second Toronto MLS team playing at a brand new soccer stadium in Downsview Park maybe,  but not in another league viewed as a second level to the MLS. Toronto is a different animal unless you live here you just don't understand. Just let me put it to you this way and just think about this. I can almost count on more than  one hand how many Major Junior Hockey league teams have failed in Toronto. We are talking Major Junior Hockey a league that is almost a religion in most Canadian cities across Canada  and yet could not draw flies in Toronto and even in suburbs minutes from Toronto.

I agree Toronto will not support a team that is not top flight. I lived in the 'T DOT' for 4 years in the late 90's and early 2000's. I recall the St. Mikes majors playing in an empty Maple Leaf gardens. I was new to Toronto and totally perplexed as to how an OHL team playing in a historic arena in a city of 4 million people were drawing a few hundred fans a game. Then I would wander down to the 'Sky Dome' with a bottle of Gatorade in hand and get my free admittance (upper bowl) to the Argos. Despite it being free to sit in the upper bowl it was 80% empty.

My feeling is TFC cant fill BMO on a consistent basis so why would a Toronto soccer fan go see a lesser quality product when tickets are available to see TFC? Of course price may be a factor but I mean the Marlies are cheap and no one goes, Argos were free and no one went.

When I lived here it was estimated roughly 20,000 would make the trek to Buffalo on Sundays to see Doug Flutie play.Yet when he was with the Argos leading them to 2 grey cups they couldn't even put 20,000 in the seats on a regular basis.

I mean maybe we are both wrong but I feel at this juncture of time there is no way Toronto would support a second soccer club. However if the CPL gets up and running and has some success and the quality of the product moves upward then there may be a chance. As for starting out I dont think so though....

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

why?  I'm a westerner but that seems super counterintuitive to me.

if  there is  a club in Mississauga if would be cool to see Sigma FC Become a professional club considering they already have a academy structure and the amount of players they produce ( Cyle Larin &  kyle bekker  were one of many) all Sigma need is  a suitable stadium and billionaire (or millionaire) owner 

2 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

if  there is  a club in Mississauga if would be cool to see Sigma FC Become a professional club considering they already have a academy structure and the amount of players they produce ( Cyle Larin &  kyle bekker  were one of many) all Sigma need is  a suitable stadium and billionaire (or millionaire) owner 

yea, that makes sense.  But you think a club in Vaughn would be more successful if marketed under the name Toronto?

I just don't get it.

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

yea, that makes sense.  But you think a club in Vaughn would be more successful if marketed under the name Toronto?

I just don't get it.

i just said that because it could be called Toronto and play outside Toronto For Example  Chicago fire(bridge view),LA Galaxy (Carson) FC Dallas ( Frisco)

3 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I just don't get it.

Cause then it's "Toronto" and you get that money from advertisers

44 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Yes, a second NHL or NBA team would do well. However, a second professional soccer team building a 20000-30000 seater stadium at Downsview would do well if the team is promoted as a top tier team. MLS doesn't have that "It's that league or bust" lustre that the other major four North American pro leagues do. Another entity from a different league can emulate what MLS has over here.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Yes, a second NHL or NBA team would do well. However, a second professional soccer team building a 20000-30000 seater stadium at Downsview would do well if the team is promoted as a top tier team. MLS doesn't have that "It's that league or bust" lustre that the other major four North American pro leagues do. Another entity from a different league can emulate what MLS has over here.

really downsview park ? is that so  when TFC  players are training they see their  rivals stadium  ( rivals cause they are both from toronto)  

Archived