Canadian Premier League

ted

53 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The other interesting thing is that non of the mainstream media or usual CanPL advocates picked up the story.

Mainstream media are very careful about not burning bridges and enough people tweeted this at Paul Beirne and SEA that they were able to pull it....

Think the main reason it would have been pulled from the website and buried as a non-story in media terms is that the CSA haven't ratified the new domestic pro league yet, so in protocol terms the league doesn't actually exist and shouldn't really be doing stuff like this in corporate type meetings. Victor Montagliani used an MLS website interview to state that Paul Beirne only represents a "swathe of the ownership" and that the new league doesn't have a name yet, so there is already evidence that the CSA were a bit irked by some of the things that were being said and done publicly before Christmas. In a similar way, were the Ticats people not a bit upset about their trademark registrations being made public when they met with the fan group subsequently? Have seen that mentioned a couple of times.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or it could be pulled because there are confidentiality agreements and they don't want certain things getting out there until they're ready to launch.  This had to go public in order to proceed with requirements from local government, just like Hamilton has had to do, but wasn't meant for general public consumption at the time.

Glass half empty, glass half full.

No way for any of us on here to know for sure but people here will continue to hypothesize away

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

In a similar way, were the Ticats people not a bit upset about their trademark registrations being made public when they met with the fan group subsequently? Have seen that mentioned a couple of times.

No, they weren't.

Vic was clear that not all teams could start in 2018. We'll see more in 2019.

Hoping for OFFC sake that they are the one's in CPL with extra investors perhaps. Not sure that people like Ottawa to be Montreal's farm team as they are usually equals in every other sports. Look at football and hockey.

If it's not OFFC and there is a Ottawa CPL team...good luck because people will get more excited for a Halifax vs Ottawa D1 with more teams like Toronto and Quebec City than USL (D3 in my book) matches against TFC2, Whitecaps 2, Seattle 2 and so on...

People need to be reminded that as hot as Montreal market is, it took them going to the champions League for people to start caring in 2009 because when they were in lower leagues, no one cared

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

People need to be reminded that as hot as Montreal market is, it took them going to the champions League for people to start caring in 2009 because when they were in lower leagues, no one cared

This is simply false. I have heard this argument a few times and I think it is a bit of english bias. Being in Montreal for those years, they games were fun and Montreal had solid attendance, if unspectacular. Considering what soccer was like in Canada generally at that time, they were doing very well. 

At the gate, the Impact had always been solid within the league before 1999 with average crowds of 4,000–5,000. After disappointing seasons in 2000 and 2001 (where the average gate was between 2,000 and 3,000 people), the team had new record attendances in 2002 (over 5,000 on average), 2003 (over 7,000 on average), 2004 (over 9,000 on average) and 2005–2006 (over 11,000 on average). The all-time single game high was the 55,571 fans in attendance for the 2009 CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final against Santos Laguna (Mexico) at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

4 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

This is simply false. I have heard this argument a few times and I think it is a bit of english bias. Being in Montreal for those years, they games were fun and Montreal had solid attendance, if unspectacular. Considering what soccer was like in Canada generally at that time, they were doing very well. 

At the gate, the Impact had always been solid within the league before 1999 with average crowds of 4,000–5,000. After disappointing seasons in 2000 and 2001 (where the average gate was between 2,000 and 3,000 people), the team had new record attendances in 2002 (over 5,000 on average), 2003 (over 7,000 on average), 2004 (over 9,000 on average) and 2005–2006 (over 11,000 on average). The all-time single game high was the 55,571 fans in attendance for the 2009 CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final against Santos Laguna (Mexico) at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

They had ZERO media coverage until that game at olympic stadium. 

Just now, Ansem said:

Domestically they did

Sure, but the Impact wouldn't have been part of that. The Canadian media ignored soccer (Sometimes you were get a 200 word recap of all PL fixtures!) in 2002. That doesn't mean that soccer wasn't there. Or that people in this country didn't enjoy it. It meant it wasn't being played in Toronto where most of the media headquarters are and no one took notice. That's what I mean my English bias. The English media had zero reason to report on how well the Impact were doing. 

1 minute ago, matty said:

I find the quotations weird. You usually don't need them with a word like potential

Actually, it is an acceptable usage of quotations since he is making reference to the existence of the word itself rather than using the word regularly in a sentence.

Just now, Diamondium said:

Actually, it is an acceptable usage of quotations since he is making reference to the existence of the word itself rather than using the word regularly in a sentence.

I meant in the original tweet

4 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

Ah. You got me on that one, that is indeed weird.

If they don't get permission from the municipal government for the stadium than it's not that weird for the quotation marks.  But that's the glass half full view.  Can be taken as the league not happening at all in the glass half empty perspective.  Interesting for sure though

13 minutes ago, matty said:

I find the quotations weird. You usually don't need them with a word like potential (in the original tweet)

Maybe it was quoting what was said during the presentation? Point appears to be look at all these huge CFL sized stadia with natural turf or unmarked fieldturf in the five main non-MLS target markets. Sharing with the Huskies isn't going to cut it next to that, so we need your permission to build something suitable on municipal land.

6 minutes ago, Rheo said:

If they don't get permission from the municipal government for the stadium than it's not that weird for the quotation marks.  But that's the glass half full view.  Can be taken as the league not happening at all in the glass half empty perspective.  Interesting for sure though

I agree it's curious. Maybe not a smoking gun but something is a little odd about. Almost feels like a wink.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Maybe it was quoting what was said during the presentation?

Could be but I'm doubtful just because it's a single word. It is likely nothing serious but it's just off to me

2 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

I feel like whoever wrote that tweet put in about 0.2 seconds of thought into those quotation marks and was never expecting a forum of people to analyze them.

Have some doubts about that. Folks involed have been rather careful with what they say and how they word shit (expect for McGrane). Also we know they watch us.

72866408.jpg

1 minute ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Man, I haven't really been paying that much attention to this board until recently-but I am collectively sad for all the CPL enthusiasts (including myself) that we are so starved for news that we are now analyzing quotation marks in a tweet.

It is really poor usage of quotations

3 minutes ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Man, I haven't really been paying that much attention to this board until recently-but I am collectively sad for all the CPL enthusiasts (including myself) that we are so starved for news that we are now analyzing quotation marks in a tweet.

All part of the ride.  Like a roller coaster, so many ups and downs

Archived