Canadian Premier League

ted

17 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Let's face it, the Katz Group (Oilers) are expected to buy out the Faths. I hope it's them.

I wouldn't take that to mean that Katz is buying Fath out...I take that to mean that Fath feels confident in staying the course and can withstand another team entering his market.

I'm very very curious to see who the Edm owner is, and I admit that Katz has to be a frontrunner

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nolbertos said:

So what happened to the west coast team that mang pro-CPLers stated the league needs to have a coast to coast presence.  Can't see sportsnet or TSN being on board, guess TLN or facebook feeds are better than nothing.  Surprised that no BC presence at all, guess no takers at all in BC to invest.

I know right! Not only that, I was expecting a team in Kugluktuk, Nunavut so that we could have a coast to coast to coast league. I think it's a fatal misstep to not include the north coast at launch.

I sure hope it's Katz. Huge pockets and fully willing to spend. But most importantly, if Katz is running both Oilers and CPL-Edmonton, you can guarantee he'd use the Oilers' popularity to market the new team which would be absolutely massive.

I hear Katz is looking for developments for phase 3 of Ice District in the block north of Rogers' place too. I think it's temporarily to become a big parking lot until things get approved. I wonder if you could squeeze a stadium in there. ;) (Yes, that part is unrealistic. I can dream though, eh?) 

1 hour ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Let's face it, the Katz Group (Oilers) are expected to buy out the Faths. I hope it's them.

If this is true...I would have called it months ago when I said 

"How sure are you CPL owners didn't find their own deeper pockets owners for Edmonton and Ottawa?"

I'll add this:

"How sure are we that the Ottawa owners aren't owned by Melnyk?"

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

"How sure are we that the Ottawa owners aren't owned by Melnyk?"

I was going to say the same thing; it would be quite something if that happened. Although not playing at Lansdowne Park would essentially amount to sports heresy in Ottawa, the city could really use a decent sized soccer-specific stadium. Can't wait to hear more details about all this!!

Surely not a chance the city would sustain two teams?

Bad news for FCEd if true. With a likely TV deal and all the promo put into the new team who will want to go watch NASL? Is there enough sustainable interest to have to seperate sets of fans?

Simple solution FCEd.. make like the Rush and come home to a CPL Saskatoon :P

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Surely not a chance the city would sustain two teams?

Bad news for FCEd if true. With a likely TV deal and all the promo put into the new team who will want to go watch NASL? Is there enough sustainable interest to have to seperate sets of fans?

Simple solution FCEd.. make like the Rush and come home to a CPL Saskatoon :P

Let's not kid ourselves, the city is not really supporting/sustaining one team.

Personally I think too much is being read into the 'Original 6' slide. This was just a presentation to city council for the construction of a pop up stadium. There is a good chance the cities listed were just possible locations of the starting teams. 

Frankly I would really ignore Edmonton - right now they have one struggling franchise which seems hell bent on staying the NASL. There is no reason to think that anyone would try stick a second franchise there when there is not enough local support for even one at the moment. The presentation was more about the pop up stadium and the goals for the local club. 

I think it give some clues as to what the league will look like but if I was a betting man I would say once announced the original 6 has a decent chance of being different then the cities announced.

It definitely looks like their ideal best case scenario rather than something that is already settled and ready to go given the relatively recent Steven Milton TSN radio interview in Hamilton that revolved around Edmonton and Ottawa having to decide whether they wanted to play in Canada, which probably would not have been the vibe if Katz and Melnyk were really on board with this and about to launch rival teams in those markets. The emphasis that Victor Montagliani seems to have been placing of late on there being over 10 interested markets plus the list of interested markets in the New Brunswick newspaper article suggests that the solution could be to include more smaller non-CFL markets. Beyond that I thought the most interesting omissions were Regina and the GTA (given what has been speculated by many on here previously), which makes sense given the former is a very small city with no soccer tradition worth mentioning and there is no easy stadium solution for the latter given MLSE's management control over BMO Field and Lamport.

24 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Personally I think too much is being read into the 'Original 6' slide. This was just a presentation to city council for the construction of a pop up stadium. There is a good chance the cities listed were just possible locations of the starting teams. 

Totally agree here.  Don't get too excited about Ottawa and Edmonton being listed and coming into the league.  That being said don't get too excited by the six cities listed and those who aren't on there as proof that this is BS and the league isn't going to be announced for next year either.  Middle ground folks.

Let's face it FC Edmonton are done/finished. All indications are showing that he Katz Group is taking over. They're going to push the Faths out of the Edmonton soccer business. In fact, this reminds me how TFC got the Hatrells out of business back in 2007 when they used to own the Toronto Lynx of the USL. TFC had more money, far larger sponsors, better TV deals, more season ticket holders, and more media exposure than the Lynx. Suddenly the Lynx couldn't compete at this level with this new rich team in town that they slowly crumbled.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Evidence for this beyond it's what you hope will happen? A few weeks back Duane Rollins and FC Edmonton supporters (jedinathan?) were discussing this on a podcast and seemed to think that the Katz Group had looked at this CPL thing and were not interested but might be interested in MLS.

The Katz have to wake up to a reality that MLS is not coming to Edmonton. MLS is more interested in capturing much more superior markets such as Miami, Detroit, San Diego, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Cleveland, Las Vegas, etc...For this reason, the Katz are waking up to this reality.

I don't think Edmonton is done.  Fath is stubborn for NASL (which he has every right/incentive to be) and he's being rewarded for it with the seaon ticket support this season.  He kept the league alive this off season and can't see him going through all that to up and sell.  

As I said everyone on both sides needs to relax.  The graphic was for a presentation and we have no way of knowing how accurate it is.  Best to sit back and wait for real information to come out.

I certainly hope that the Original Six included in the presentation - including FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury - are in the CPL for the launch. Throw in Regina/Saskatoon, Victoria, Quebec City and Moncton as expansion teams and I think you've got a very solid looking league.

On a sidenote, it looks like HRM realized that the presentation probably shouldn't have been publicly accessible just yet (not that anyone here is complaining). Now the link just gives a 404 message.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/SCcped/documents/ProposaltoCPED-WanderersGrounds.pdf

The other interesting thing is that non of the mainstream media or usual CanPL advocates picked up the story.

Mainstream media are very careful about not burning bridges and enough people tweeted this at Paul Beirne and SEA that they were able to pull it.

A mainstream guy reporting on the CanPL like Steve Milton at the Spec was probably privy to this info and he would have asked Scott Mitchell or Paul Beirne to go on record before running a story.  After a conversation he probably didn't act on it to preserve his long term contacts.

I suspect the information is very legit but to preserve confidentiality it will be intentionally under reported.

19 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The other interesting thing is that non of the mainstream media or usual CanPL advocates picked up the story.

Mainstream media are very careful about not burning bridges and enough people tweeted this at Paul Beirne and SEA that they were able to pull it.

A mainstream guy reporting on the CanPL like Steve Milton at the Spec was probably privy to this info and he would have asked Scott Mitchell or Paul Beirne to go on record before running a story.  After a conversation he probably didn't act on it to preserve his long term contacts.

I suspect the information is very legit but to preserve confidentiality it will be intentionally under reported.

So you're saying it was their way of throwing us a bone?

9 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

So you're saying it was their way of throwing us a bone?

I don't think it was throwing us a bone.  It's most likely someone screwed up and they got rid of it once it was found and we over analyzed it.  

There's no real reason for it to be reported in Halifax, most of the details from the power point were in the articles from the original presentation to officials.  As for Hamilton, there's nothing really news worthy there.  They've been in the forefront of reporting it.  Yeah there's a couple of details but then again we don't know what's solid fact or not.

Archived