Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what happened to the west coast team that mang pro-CPLers stated the league needs to have a coast to coast presence.  Can't see sportsnet or TSN being on board, guess TLN or facebook feeds are better than nothing.  Surprised that no BC presence at all, guess no takers at all in BC to invest.

Before I get really excited about this, I want to make sure I understand just how in-the-know and rock-solid all of that fairly specific content is in the proposal.  Because if it is 100% informed and accurate that is really exciting.  But if it is them presenting their best guess of what a league could look like based on things as they stand currently, it is cool but not quite at the same magnitude.  So just want to get a sense of what the league content represents.

Interms of the content itself, that is really good information (even if it is at least somewhat insider speculation).  The 6 cities are really cool - the absence of BC is pretty conspicuous, but from a stability perspective that looks like great coverage for the league.

And the ability to potentially push into MLS markets if the league demonstrates success and a good product seems like a great opportunity for potential expansion.

19 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

So what happened to the west coast team that mang pro-CPLers stated the league needs to have a coast to coast presence.  Can't see sportsnet or TSN being on board, guess TLN or facebook feeds are better than nothing.  Surprised that no BC presence at all, guess no takers at all in BC to invest.

I believe we've heard rumblings that there will be expansion teams announced prior to the first game being played by the original six. Hopefully one of those expansion teams is a team in BC. I could see some groups deciding to just wait until 2019 for a ful season to debut. Also, I'd say it's a safe bet to assume that if a major TV deal isnt in place, Eastlink would be broadcasting Halifax games, and then its just a matter of live streaming their broadcast through whatever service the CPL would choose. In my opinion that is worst case scenario and it wouldn't be that bad as Eastlink have a lot of experience in soccer broadcasting unlike some of the USL streams which are terrible to watch. But I still think there is hope to get in on TSN or CBC or Sportsnet as Canada Soccer can make some sort of bundle deal with the VCup, national team games and CPL games, there's for sure potential value in having these properties, and being the home of Canadian soccer as the game grows in this country.

I think it's wrong to assume anything at this point. Now is the time for patience. These guys have a plan and we're seeing more of it every week. No use in speculating and filling up another hundred pages in a week until the next news drop lol.

Additional thoughts...

- can anybody provide info on the Edmonton club?  I have always thought that it makes so much sense for FCEd to join, but the info about financial ties to NASL makes it seem unlikely that they would jump over.  But the idea of a second ownership group fielding a second team in a mid-sized market seems less than ideal.

- the idea that the Halifax club is proposing a May 2017 announcement of joining CPL pretty much presupposes that the league will be announced either prior to that, or concurrent with it.

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I think it's wrong to assume anything at this point. Now is the time for patience. These guys have a plan and we're seeing more of it every week. No use in speculating and filling up another hundred pages in a week until the next news drop lol.

Ha.  Not if this thread stays true to form.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Why stop now?

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Additional thoughts...

- can anybody provide info on the Edmonton club?  I have always thought that it makes so much sense for FCEd to join, but the info about financial ties to NASL makes it seem unlikely that they would jump over.  But the idea of a second ownership group fielding a second team in a mid-sized market seems less than ideal.

- the idea that the Halifax club is proposing a May 2017 announcement of joining CPL pretty much presupposes that the league will be announced either prior to that, or concurrent with it.

Is there any possibility they could sell all/part of FCE while holding onto their class B shares?

2 hours ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Might be the Katz Group. They threw a low ball offer at Fath a few years ago, may still be looking to expand their sports portfolio.

Wrt to where, maybe a pop up at Ellerslie Rugby Park?

#SouthSideRising #OldStrath :P

Yea Edmonton is interesting.  who knows what the situation is honestly.  Katz might make sense, but I feel like we are all pretty much in the dark at this point.

14 minutes ago, Rheo said:

If you are talking about me assuming that Eastlink TV would broadcast games, I just meant that if nothing else came to fruition Eastlink would be there to fall back on, and they are a much better at what they do than most USL streams I have seen. Eastlink Broadcasts the Mooseheads (also the PEI and Cape Breton CHL teams), the Hurricanes, AUS sports and even the EASTLINK Premiership soccer league. They would be all over a fully pro sports property and they have the know how to do quality broadcasts. If the worst case scenario is the CPL streaming Eastlink's broadcast on Youtube or Facebook or TSN GO, that's not that bad. Although I do realize other regions might not have a company like Eastlink who could do that, so it really only applies to Halifax and potentially Moncton home games. Just trying to find silver linings. 

Just now, Alex D said:

To any FCE supporters, how do you feel about a second group forming a CPL club?

I like it, but I think i'm probably the only one.  

that and I live on the south side where the team would most likely play.  as it stands right now it probably takes me 45 minutes to get to clarke if there is more than a little traffic.

Old Strathcona FC for lyfe :P

I just meant the general assumption that there's no tv deal at all. I know nothing of streaming companies across the country so I assume you're correct there lol. I haven't seen anything to assume that although I'm watching wrestling and only skipped over the two pages of posts so might of missed something 

6 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

also, I don't think eddies supporters should discount the potential for the within city rivalry to generate interest for both clubs.

I'm not saying it won't hurt them, I'm just saying I don't think it's quite as simple as A-B=C either

Still, Edmonton is such a beloved Canadian team, it sure would be nice to see it play in a Canadian league.

Archived