• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that the information has been released, I will step away from this thread for the pages long BBTB / Dub Narcotic vs. Ansem / matty train wreck. No comment from me on the fact that Calgary is in the league for fear that it be misconstrued to fit a narrative for or against the development of a league.

11 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So now that the information has been released, I will step away from this thread for the pages long BBTB / Dub Narcotic vs. Ansem / matty train wreck. No comment from me on the fact that Calgary is in the league for fear that it be misconstrued to fit a narrative for or against the development of a league.

Clearly each MLS team will be fielding two reserve teams in this league. 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Wow. August 2018 start with Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa and Halifax. Referrred to as the "Original Six."

edit: They have a logo. Not sure if it's new but they refer to the team as Halifax FC and seem to have a logo though it's hard to make out. Looks like a horse.

IMG_5590.PNG

nooooooooooooooo

I guess it could be worse.

CPL will be it's own Division 1 league. No affiliation needed nor help from MLS teams required. We're the 10th economy on the globe and for us to have took so long for this to happen says more about the CSA as Canadians as a whole.

Really happy for the league and ready ton support it

All 6 "Original 6" markets have the ingredients for success.  It really is a good start.

They all have good Metro and regional population, media market size, business support and stadiums (when Halifax gets theirs built).  

Its probably good that they avoided Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal to start. There won't be bad blood with MLS right away.

Interesting timing- right after the World Cup finishes so there will be heightened interest in soccer at that time and extra media attention as a result.

13 minutes ago, Alex D said:

My big question is who are the Edmonton group and where do they plan on playing?

Might be the Katz Group. They threw a low ball offer at Fath a few years ago, may still be looking to expand their sports portfolio.

Wrt to where, maybe a pop up at Ellerslie Rugby Park?

Edited by ThatDaveCh
More info

So - Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Halifax.

We know who Hamilton and Halifax's owners are.  You've got to think that Ottawa is going to be OFFC, and I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of deal with FCE that results in only one pro team in Edmonton (either the Faths jumping over, selling the team to someone who moves FCE over, or FCE shutting down and a new team popping up).

That leaves Calgary and Winnipeg - I suppose those will be CFL investors unless True North and the like get involved somehow.

EDIT: Some rumours on Twitter that Edmonton is a different group.  #soccerwarznorth

Edited by Gopherbashi

Some worrying thoughts about the stadium proposal itself:

There appears to be no broadcast booth or location for television cameras.

Washrooms are porta potties.

Not a huge fan of the side-only bleachers - makes the corners look incomplete and kind of bush league.  Would've liked to see wrap-around seating on at least three sides leading into the open air pub.  Maybe in the future with a more permanent structure.

First season starting in August?  Bit of an odd way to do it, but it's an interesting teaser to get people involved.  Might be difficult to sign overseas players, but I guess they mainly go on a July-June contract schedule so it might actually work out.  Would mean no CPL for next year's V Cup though (guess I was wrong about that).