Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think rebranding TFC 2 into Barrie FC would be awesome. Build a 6000 seat pop up stadium around the Waterfront or Georgian mall. Have the team train and base their academy out of Nottawasaga Resort in Alliston, Ontario. Both FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon held their practices and stayed their a couple years back when they toured North America. I've been there myself. It has some of the best grass in the country.

Some interesting CPL talk on From The Black Hole with the TSS Rovers guys.  Nothing earth shattering (although they confirmed that CPL officials have talked to them) but perspective on relation to PDL in the future.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Some interesting CPL talk on From The Black Hole with the TSS Rovers guys.  Nothing earth shattering (although they confirmed that CPL officials have talked to them) but perspective on relation to PDL in the future.

What would that relation be?

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think rebranding TFC 2 into Barrie FC would be awesome. Build a 6000 seat pop up stadium around the Waterfront or Georgian mall. Have the team train and base their academy out of Nottawasaga Resort in Alliston, Ontario. Both FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon held their practices and stayed their a couple years back when they toured North America. I've been there myself. It has some of the best grass in the country.

I think this is how TFC gets in the CPL game somehow.  I think they're going to get in it just has to be controlled somehow.

Like what if they had 25% of a Kitchener Waterloo or London Franchise, and 25% Special class B non voting shares then signed a loan agreement for 5-7 players a year.  

It could get another market into play because of the financial subsidy without becoming a straight farm team and also get Toronto FC into the league which they obviously want to do.

I dont know, just spitballing, but maybe that wouldn't be a terrible thing.

52 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think this is how TFC gets in the CPL game somehow.  I think they're going to get in it just has to be controlled somehow.

Like what if they had 25% of a Kitchener Waterloo or London Franchise, and 25% Special class B non voting shares then signed a loan agreement for 5-7 players a year.  

It could get another market into play because of the financial subsidy without becoming a straight farm team and also get Toronto FC into the league which they obviously want to do.

I dont know, just spitballing, but maybe that wouldn't be a terrible thing.

I wonder what kind of mechanisms there will be from CPL teams independently choosing to affiliate with MLS teams (ie. your IMFC-OFFC situation).  We assume that the CSA is trying to avoid that scenario (the previously-talked about minor league bogeyman), but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do about it.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  There has to be a 2nd way to make a deal.  Bill Manning is onto something about not competing with MLS.  Obviously part of it is just protecting TFC's turf; but the OFFC/IMFC  thing has a good chance of happening in CPL.  It may also be financially good for some CPL teams.

It becomes a big bogeyman if they don't structure it right but there's probably a way to do it right.  They would have to be full season loans so that you don't get the shuttling up and down with farms clubs and there would have to be and limit as well so it's not and 100% farm club.

They are very fine details and it's a slippery  slope if gotten wrong.

That's why I was thinking like minority shareholder and 5-7 players. Or even a rule like an MLS club can loan max 3 players to any one teamm but could loan to multiple teams.  

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some form of loan/affiliation system to pop up eventually... just not right away.  They're not going to want an initial farm league impression, but once they get past the first couple of years and people have already formed their opinions one way or another, it may find a way of sneaking in there and we'll have a good 50-page-long argument about it.

Signing an affiliation deal with a club is not a good thing in my eyes. If you want to loan a player, loan the player to whichever club is going to take him and give him the best shot at playing time in the system that best fits that player. In an affiliation deal where 5-7 players are being loaned there could be pressure to give those players playing time or to control the system the team plays. It is best for all teams to operate without that pressure. TFC will try to bully the CPL teams any way they can, look at how they treat the national team compared to the US team, look at how they're ignoring USL quotas this year, look at their front office and coaching staff. They like to say the care about developing Canadians, but they only care about it because its good marketing.

On 6/20/2014 at 4:43 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Suspect some of the people responding haven't taken the time to read the linked article and don't understand why it's referred to as 1A rather than 1.

Blizzard take it from me TFC 2 cannot be part of the CPL the League would not flourish, League 1 ontario is our example that TFC 2nd team will have a negative impact on our National League ambitions. At present no one attends a TFC 2 League 1 games.

Our Canadian fan base is very much Soccer educated they only support the Real deal. 

1A also indicates  a shared working agreement occupying the Division 1 Status in Canada,  

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some form of loan/affiliation system to pop up eventually... just not right away.  They're not going to want an initial farm league impression, but once they get past the first couple of years and people have already formed their opinions one way or another, it may find a way of sneaking in there and we'll have a good 50-page-long argument about it.

No way the CPL teams are gonna Gopher for it. No way!!!

17 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

This thread going nuts in 5, 4, 3, ...

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

In case you all want to know what Rob is referring to... 

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/SCcped/documents/ProposaltoCPED-WanderersGrounds.pdf

Wow. August 2018 start with Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa and Halifax. Referrred to as the "Original Six."

edit: They have a logo. Not sure if it's new but they refer to the team as Halifax FC and seem to have a logo though it's hard to make out. Looks like a horse.

IMG_5590.PNG

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I

Wow. August 2018 start with Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa and Halifax. Referrred to as the "Original Six."

edit: They have a logo.

Moncton i know  should be confirmed as stadium is ready and talks had already taken place with moncton quite some time ago. so there should be more than just 6 groups presently.

4 minutes ago, masster said:

Starting in August 2018 I guess means a short season to launch, followed by a full season in 2019 with potentially more teams.

10-15 games maybe? Isl happens around the same time and is 14 games but has more teams

Archived