Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Victor Montagliani is going to want his moment in the limelight before he leaves as CSA president, so something will almost certainly be announced soon related to a new pro league. What I think some of you should be pondering is why the list of probable teams at launch from the journalists in Hamilton and New Brunswick were so different and why the business plan would still be up for discussion.

I'd say that Hamilton probably has to be more careful with their words as all the info there is coming from an actual ownership group or people hired by them. They would have relationships with the other potential owners who might not want their involvement leaked yet. The Moncton interview was with a guy that has no business relationship with any of the players so he may know less about the groups as far as whos actually in at launch and whos just kicking tires on an expansion franchise.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

If Halifax and Hamilton have a "derby", it would be the "Ha-Ha derby".

I will invest money to make a trophy or plaque with a picture of nelson on it to award as a prize. I want this rivalry to happen

3 minutes ago, matty said:

I will invest money to make a trophy or plaque with a picture of nelson on it to award as a prize. I want this rivalry to happen

I'm thinking the loser should be the one to get the "Nelson Pointing And Laughing Cup".

17 hours ago, BradMack said:

I'd say that Hamilton probably has to be more careful with their words as all the info there is coming from an actual ownership group or people hired by them...

The angle I found interesting is that Ottawa and Edmonton rate a mention in the Hamilton scenario despite teams from there being in the NASL and USL, while Halifax are only said to be interested. That sounds more like a big budget challenge to MLS scenario that will wait until all the pieces fall neatly into place. The Moncton list had no Edmonton or Ottawa but did have Halifax fully on board along with Victoria, Saskatoon and London, which sounds more like a clearly second tier league catering to mainly Canadian players in a manner that the CSA would probably favour from a CMNT standpoint that would not have to wait until certain markets are on board to be able to pull the trigger.

Anyone know what this tweet was referring to?

My guess would be that it follows on from this:

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The angle I found interesting is that Ottawa and Edmonton rate a mention in the Hamilton scenario despite teams from there being in the NASL and USL, while Halifax are only said to be interested. That sounds more like a big budget challenge to MLS scenario that will wait until all the pieces fall neatly into place. The Moncton list had no Edmonton or Ottawa but did have Halifax fully on board along with Victoria, Saskatoon and London, which sounds more like a clearly second tier league catering to mainly Canadian players in a manner that the CSA would probably favour from a CMNT standpoint that would not have to wait until certain markets are on board to be able to pull the trigger.

Anyone know what this tweet was referring to?

My guess would be that it follows on from this:

If that is the case (seems like a reasonable guess), it would make this Paul Beirne emoji chain seem a lot more sensible.

(I can't believe we're being forced to hyperanalyse emojis)

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

If that is the case (seems like a reasonable guess), it would make this Paul Beirne emoji chain seem a lot more sensible.

It is that sort of thing that has made me ignore the various mouthpieces dropping hints and predicting announcements.  I will get excited when something truly concrete is announced by the CSA.  Until then, I am way past trying to interpret whether or not it is meaningful that he left the ? out of his tweet.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

I wouldn't read too much into the twitter exchange.  I was following it last night and it seemed like they were just having some fun back and forth.

5 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I will e-transfer someone 10 bucks if they commentate this u23 game for me,

boys can't figure out the audio

Can i do the next one drunk or stoned with my Qatari pal while we randomly watch crap on youtube as well for 10 bucks still?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hopefully SEA also noticed who the opponent was and that playing an MLS reserve team didn't stop spectators from showing up or have a negative impact on the level of play. No reason why TFC II couldn't be playing in a pop-up in Halifax rather than Pheonix in other words given MLSE are on record as being open to the idea.

On the other side of the coin did you see the games MLS2 clubs played at home? Empty high school stadiums, only fans looked like possibly family and a few concession stand workers. Timbers 2 were the exception - they played at mostly empty Timbers main stadium. 

I don't think the CPL is looking for a league with clubs playing on empty high school fields. It does in my opinion severely take down the image of the league. 

Archived