Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I'm sure the MLS BOD/BOG have probably mulled it over. If I were them, I'd reach out to Katz about placing a MLS franchise in Edmonton. Even if no application was put forward to them, that league has made in the past expansion moves based on panick ala NYC FC.

I doubt the CPL owners and potential future owners would invest a single dime in CPL if the CSA was still going to sanction MLS franchise in Canadian markets.

As an investors, that would have been one of the first questions I'd asked. Anything than a definite no would mean that I'd put my cheque book back in my pockets and laugh you out of my office.

If anyone thinks that investors are about to take that much risks doing a big favor for the CSA and allowing that very CSA to give MLS sanctioning in Canadian markets, you must be delusional.

For sure those investors had the CSA assurance that no more Canadian markets would be given to MLS. MLS expension is done in Canada.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's the one year anniversary of the first Barton Battalion meeting, and it's got me wondering... What "real" news have we learned in the past 365 days?

I mean, a year ago, what we knew was "there's a league coming, and it will be HQ'd in Hamilton." Today we know... exactly that.

17 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

The biggest thing that concerns me at this point is that there's no trademarks floating around for other teams. 

The biggest thing that concerns me is people thinking that somehow the league should be catering to a bunch of selfish fanatics who want to ignore good business practice and/or short-circuit the possibility of engaging fans by helping to chose names and crests after the official announcement. ;)

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

I doubt the CPL owners and potential future owners would invest a single dime in CPL if the CSA was still going to sanction MLS franchise in Canadian markets.

As an investors, that would have been one of the first questions I'd asked. Anything than a definite no would mean that I'd put my cheque book back in my pockets and laugh you out of my office.

If anyone thinks that investors are about to take that much risks doing a big favor for the CSA and allowing that very CSA to give MLS sanctioning in Canadian markets, you must be delusional.

For sure those investors had the CSA assurance that no more Canadian markets would be given to MLS. MLS expension is done in Canada.

This is true to.

Also, I'd like to point out the pic below to how soccer savvy this area is and the subsequent appetite in the GTA. This was circulating on the sports ticker for CP24. 

image.jpeg

A rising French Ligue 1 star gets put on our number one rated new channel's sports ticker. There are countless examples of this. This channel breaks down Bundesliga matches on the ticker by highlighting who had the most shots, who crossed the ball in that resulted in a goal, etc. It's phenomenal.

Granted, I might not agree with the opinion as I find Mbappe super talented but a little clumsy, but, regardless, the fact they thought that  small opinion piece would interest the people of the GTA speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, ted said:

The biggest thing that concerns me is people thinking that somehow the league should be catering to a bunch of selfish fanatics who want to ignore good business practice and/or short-circuit the possibility of engaging fans by helping to chose names and crests after the official announcement. ;)

No one's demanding that they cater to a bunch of "selfish fanatics", only that given Hamilton trademarked their name months ago, I would've expected to see others by now.

Though I do appreciate you twisting my post just for the sake of your witty retort.  Good show.

1 hour ago, grande said:

Today's the one year anniversary of the first Barton Battalion meeting, and it's got me wondering... What "real" news have we learned in the past 365 days?

I mean, a year ago, what we knew was "there's a league coming, and it will be HQ'd in Hamilton." Today we know... exactly that.

If you're only counting mainstream media, we also know a great deal about the Halifax bid, about Paul Bierne's hiring, that Toronto FC is is getting it's back up about a Toronto franchise, etc

On 2017-02-18 at 10:13 AM, Ansem said:

TFC: Supports the league only if they don't compete and wish to dump their C-Squad in it

Impact: Hostile to it. Considers Quebec theirs

Whitecaps: Most likely hostile to it as they view Manitoba to BC as theirs

https://mobile.twitter.com/24thminute/status/832666518924165122

https://mobile.twitter.com/24thminute/status/832666781881765889

https://mobile.twitter.com/24thminute/status/832667052464680960

As a Manitoban, the Caps have just insulted me to the point of no longer cheering for them. Are they crazy? how would they ever appeal to MB or Sask or ALB?

If there was a MLS team in Edmonton or Calgary, they would have a much better claim on the rest of the prairies, but there is no way a Whitecaps team could make more inroads here than TFC or even the Impact.

So interesting thought exercise: Build your ideal CanPL.

Teams:

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Regina

Winnipeg

Hamilton

GTA

Ottawa

Quebec

Atlantic Team

Format/Schedule

No divisions, 18 games per side, with each team playing away to and hosting every other team. Top of the table at the end of the season are league champions. I'd prefer this format over a East/West split.

51 minutes ago, GimliJetsMan said:

As a Manitoban, the Caps have just insulted me to the point of no longer cheering for them. Are they crazy? how would they ever appeal to MB or Sask or ALB?

If there was a MLS team in Edmonton or Calgary, they would have a much better claim on the rest of the prairies, but there is no way a Whitecaps team could make more inroads here than TFC or even the Impact.

QFT

This is just history repeating itself and truly highlites how gutless, vision-less and misguided some Canadian sport's team owners are. It's almost exactly like the late 60s and 70s Cansdian NHL owners and how they thought cities thousands of kilometres away were apart of their market and fought against further expansion in this country.

They should know the difference now is that MLS isn't good enough for people in a city far away to care about one of the three MLS franchises and the soccer is a sport where people want to support a local team. The stadium needs to be in their backyard so they can go watch them play.

Unless the Caps start playing games in Regina, Winnipeg and Calgary, they won't plant any significant foot  print in said areas no matter how badly they lay claim to the prairies being "their" territory.

These cities have the capacity, key word I like to highlite again, to support their own soccer teams. That's what this all about again. It's not about nationalism like BBTB foolishly sometimes like to mention, it's not about removing the Canadian teams from MLS. It's about further developing our own professional infrastructure, that's it. 

45 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If you're only counting mainstream media, we also know a great deal about the Halifax bid, about Paul Bierne's hiring, that Toronto FC is is getting it's back up about a Toronto franchise, etc

It's unfortunate seeing the MLS squads getting their backs up.

Like I will wholeheartedly support whatever my local team ends up being(likely Edmonton, hopefully eventually CPL) but at the same time I'm still going to tune in to MLS games regularly.  Its just unfair to expect people several hours away to make the journey consistently to watch live(Hamilton, sauga, etc) 

The live experience is essentially to the growth of the game in this country.  That's where we'll win over the average person to become pop culture.  It'll be good for everyone.  

I've said this before but I wish they would just become minority partners in a bunch of CPL squads.  Protect their investment but avoid conflict of interest by never having a majority share.  

8 minutes ago, Macksam said:

QFT

This is just history repeating itself and truly highlites how gutless, vision-less and misguided some Canadian sport's team owners are. It's almost exactly like the late 60s and 70s Cansdian NHL owners and how they thought cities thousands of kilometres away were apart of their market and fought against further expansion in this country.

They should know the difference now is the fact MLS isn't that good of a league for people in a city far away to care about one of the three MLS franchises and the soccer is a sport where people want to support a local team. The stadium needs to be in their backyard so they can go watch them play.

As an example, before the Jets came to the NHL, most of the people (my age) I knew were fans of either Edmonton or Calgary with a few Toronto and Montreal. (I was a Calgary fan) The older fans went all over the place, as they had memories of old rivalries with the other Canadian Western teams.

And this was with the Farm team of the Canucks playing in Winnipeg, and I would put them as 5th in popularity in my group.

There has been NOTHING from the Caps to attempt to claim the prairies. Where are the workshops, the team playing exhibition games, doing a barnstorming tour in the offseason. I haven't heard of anything, and I'm a huge sports fan. The market is just numbers they "think" should be loyal to their brand, and they won't put any effort into it. That line of thought just pisses me off.

Everyone here is a Blue Jays fan, already, and even they do an annual Winter tour, and have alumni go to events here.

1 minute ago, GimliJetsMan said:

There has been NOTHING from the Caps to attempt to claim the prairies. Where are the workshops, the team playing exhibition games, doing a barnstorming tour in the offseason. I haven't heard of anything, and I'm a huge sports fan. The market is just numbers they "think" should be loyal to their brand, and they won't put any effort into it. That line of thought just pisses me off.

Which is the opposite of what the Raptors (exhibition game all over Canada) has done and the Blue Jays (exhibition game in Montreal).

Blue Jays are incredibly respected (Before Shapiro era...remains to be seen). They have been very supportive of MLB going back to Montreal and those exhibition games have facilitated that. Which more Canadian franchise were like this.

It's a very well known fact that the Montreal Canadians DON'T want the return of the Quebec Nordiques but at least, they play exhibition games and practice all over the province.

MLS Clubs have done nothing to claim the entire country.

53 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

if we don't hear something soon I'll be reminded somewhat of that old story "the boy who cried wolf" 

Even then I don't think it means it'll never happen, but it is discouraging.  

Like I said it's discouraging to those who've been following the whipsers for way too long.  For the majority of the country it'll be interesting new news to them.  I have no problem with how they've gone about releasing information.  But then again I'm a glass half full person who assumes that they know what they're doing unlike others who assume it's one or two people desperately grasping for anyone and everyone to buy in.  I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:46 PM, Cheeta said:

If a CPL emerges that offers anything resembling a decent degree of league stability then NASL is a dead property in Canada.  Doesn't matter who invested what into what, NASL will be dead in Canada.  At that point if you as an owner want a pro footie franchise it will be either CPL or MLS.  Full stop. 

Disagree...NASL was virtually dead this offseason and FC Edmonton managed to sell more season tickets than ever before. The average fan and ticket buyer isn't aware of all this behind the scenes stuff. They go for the day out and might like a bit of football while they are at it.

I don't know how you could call the NASL dead in Canada if FC Edmonton continues in that league.

37 minutes ago, masster said:

Disagree...NASL was virtually dead this offseason and FC Edmonton managed to sell more season tickets than ever before. The average fan and ticket buyer isn't aware of all this behind the scenes stuff. They go for the day out and might like a bit of football while they are at it.

100% agree.  While behind the scenes NASL might be in shambles, things have probably never looked better for FC Edmonton.  

Mind you I've only been following them for 2 years now, but I think that kinda helps the argument in some way.

Archived