Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, matty said:

It's chatter from some of the guys in the TFC pressbox, non-Totz and Rollins folks, some well connected MSM who aren't talking publicly. My understanding is FCE are less game but both are willing to chat and see what happens and one might be up to joining within the first few years (possibly the launch but that's more 60/40).

I heard the exact same thing from someone on the inside. Ottawa will be there - possibly right from launch. Edmonton is more up in the air.

I mean realistically look at the NASL map its totally absurd for Edmonton. How can a club like Edmonton justify flying to Florida, Oklahoma, California etc... when in the CPL they would likely have bus rides or short flights to Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan ect... I feel 100% confident Edmonton will have a team in the CPL by year 3 if the league gets going.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I heard the exact same thing from someone on the inside. Ottawa will be there - possibly right from launch. Edmonton is more up in the air.

I mean realistically look at the NASL map its totally absurd for Edmonton. How can a club like Edmonton justify flying to Florida, Oklahoma, California etc... when in the CPL they would likely have bus rides or short flights to Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan ect... I feel 100% confident Edmonton will have a team in the CPL by year 3 if the league gets going.

I think Edmonton boils down to 3 things

1. The Faths have shares in NASL directly. We all know this, and it isn't changing until someone buys them out for a decent profit or NASL completely collapses

2. The Faths don't seem sold on CPL, but also haven't been following too closely (Sandor made a comment along these lines a few months ago) 

3. The Faths are old-school business types with a strong sense of loyalty to the league they helped build, and aren't eager to pull a 180 on it. 

Really, the Faths are the sort of tenacious owners CPL would be lucky to have. I hope something works out eventually, but I don't think a mildly reduced travel schedule will convince them. Maybe a Calgary rival would 

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think Edmonton boils down to 3 things

1. The Faths have shares in NASL directly. We all know this, and it isn't changing until someone buys them out for a decent profit or NASL completely collapses

2. The Faths don't seem sold on CPL, but also haven't been following too closely (Sandor made a comment along these lines a few months ago) 

3. The Faths are old-school business types with a strong sense of loyalty to the league they helped build, and aren't eager to pull a 180 on it. 

Really, the Faths are the sort of tenacious owners CPL would be lucky to have. I hope something works out eventually, but I don't think a mildly reduced travel schedule will convince them. Maybe a Calgary rival would 

I'm actually still wondering what the NASL is up to atm with the Canadians as domestics rule change.

Since the "naysayers" seems to have quiet down, the article also mentioned Victoria & Kitchener.

If Victoria's in, the Whitecaps aren't please but it's still better than a team in Surrey.Victoria & Vancouver can co-exist I think.

Realistically, Quebec City a matter of time. Can't inconvenience the Impact that much either

For me, short term, that's what's going to happen with Toronto being the exception by putting a team in the city.

Challenging Impact and Whitecaps would be way down the line and people would have to literally demand it I think

From the start of page 270 to the end of page 277 there are 200 posts (25 posts per page). 91 of these posts (or 45.5%) were made by three people. Although there are new points made in those posts, there is also a fair amount of rehashing of old arguments. Would it be possible to have a ceasefire for a while? It's not that I don't appreciate the ideas you guys have, but it simply would be nice to get a bit of a break. 

4 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

The only two articles I can find on it say they're paying for travel.  Granted, they're a year-old and it might have changed since then.  Where did you hear the sponsor travel bit?

First result is you google Toronto Wolfpack Air Transat. 

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/2017/01/19/toronto-wolfpack-announce-sponsorship-partnership-air-transat-well-reveal-home-away-kits/

23 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

From the start of page 270 to the end of page 277 there are 200 posts (25 posts per page). 91 of these posts (or 45.5%) were made by three people. Although there are new points made in those posts, there is also a fair amount of rehashing of old arguments. Would it be possible to have a ceasefire for a while? It's not that I don't appreciate the ideas you guys have, but it simply would be nice to get a bit of a break. 

Couldn't agree more.

As an aside, very impressed with your number crunching. Was there an easy way to get those numbers or did you go through all 200 posts and total up the number by each poster?

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

I agree. I know I've been a participant in the past, but there's no point in dragging it out. We're all here because we find talking about Canadian soccer fun, we should act like it

So... fun topics... Any obvious Saskatchewan companies jump out as sponsors for Regina's team? Only thing that comes to mind is Potash... 

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Since the "naysayers" seems to have quiet down, the article also mentioned Victoria & Kitchener.

If Victoria's in, the Whitecaps aren't please but it's still better than a team in Surrey.Victoria & Vancouver can co-exist I think.

Realistically, Quebec City a matter of time. Can't inconvenience the Impact that much either

For me, short term, that's what's going to happen with Toronto being the exception by putting a team in the city.

Challenging Impact and Whitecaps would be way down the line and people would have to literally demand it I think

Surreys far enough away from the Caps downtown venue and a large enough population base to easily support a CPL club in Metro Vancouver. Land available for a modular stadium as well and Surrey has talked for years of wanting a 10k stadium. Vancouver is large enough to support two D1 clubs. Victoria would be great as well as an entry to the CPL. Hopefully down the line both have clubs in Canada's D1 league.

7 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

If a CPL emerges that offers anything resembling a decent degree of league stability then NASL is a dead property in Canada.  Doesn't matter who invested what into what, NASL will be dead in Canada.  At that point if you as an owner want a pro footie franchise it will be either CPL or MLS.  Full stop.

And we all know MLS is NOT interested in Edmonton or Ottawa.  And trivial Canadian football politics isn't ever going to change that.

But when you think about it, that is a actually a good thing, a very good thing.  At least from a CPL prospective.   

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Couldn't agree more.

As an aside, very impressed with your number crunching. Was there an easy way to get those numbers or did you go through all 200 posts and total up the number by each poster?

If there is a more sophisticated way, I don't know it. But it was a pretty simple matter to go through the 8 pages. Only took me 10-15 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I agree. I know I've been a participant in the past, but there's no point in dragging it out. We're all here because we find talking about Canadian soccer fun, we should act like it

So... fun topics... Any obvious Saskatchewan companies jump out as sponsors for Regina's team? Only thing that comes to mind is Potash... 

I've certainly participated too. So any critique from me is meant to be gentle. 

Sponsors? Not sure. The Riders have 60+ local sponsors. It's crazy. Everyone wants on board it seems. For the soccer teams? Local craft brews maybe? There are some pretty good ones ... Nokomis, Black Bridge, Prairie Sun ... and there's Last Mountain distillery. Maybe Farm Credit Canada. They have their corporate head office in Regina. Brandt Industries? Evraz? (They're a steel manufacturer). 

And potash is an easy one. Mosaic already sponsors the stadium so I doubt Potash Corp or K+S can get in. 

I'm just spitballing here. No real idea. 

16 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I heard the exact same thing from someone on the inside. Ottawa will be there - possibly right from launch. Edmonton is more up in the air....

So in other words as I was posting if as even your sources appear to be telling you Ottawa and Edmonton are likely to be absent from any "CPL" launch, along with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, if as is more than likely nobody is willing to try to compete head-to-head with an MLS team, what's left at that point in terms of credible markets for a 6,000-8,000 break even? The reason we are only hearing from Hamilton, Halifax and to a lesser extent K/W at the moment could easily be because those are the only groups that are solidly on board right now. If that's the case don't hold your breath on anything happening in 2018, because they needed the NASL to fold outright to be able to proceed on that timeline with a soft launch. Not game over yet if that's all true, however, because the NASL is still very much in a critical condition and has a lot to prove to its potential expansion markets this summer.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So in other words as I was posting if as even your sources appear to be telling you Ottawa and Edmonton are likely to be absent from any "CPL" launch, along with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, if as is more than likely nobody is willing to try to compete head-to-head with an MLS team, what's left at that point in terms of credible markets for a 6,000-8,000 break even? The reason we are only hearing from Hamilton, Halifax and to a lesser extent K/W at the moment could easily be because those are the only groups that are solidly on board right now. If that's the case don't hold your breath on anything happening in 2018, because they needed the NASL to fold outright to be able to proceed on that timeline with a soft launch. Not game over yet if that's all true, however, because the NASL is still very much in a critical condition and has a lot to prove to its potential expansion markets this summer.

Moron...go back to the States

Another reason why MLS clubs haven't earned their claim on Canada

Blue Jays: They play their exhibition game in Montreal. The lack of MLB infrastructure is the reason why they don't gof elsewhere. BC place can't be used, they tried.

Raptors: Exhibition games across Canada and actually visit the fans there. Still think Vancouver deserve a second chance.

NHL: I know the Canadiens play in Quebec city for exhibition game and can rightfully claim the province. Exhibition games are all over the place

MLS teams: None of the above

11 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I've certainly participated too. So any critique from me is meant to be gentle. 

Sponsors? Not sure. The Riders have 60+ local sponsors. It's crazy. Everyone wants on board it seems. For the soccer teams? Local craft brews maybe? There are some pretty good ones ... Nokomis, Black Bridge, Prairie Sun ... and there's Last Mountain distillery. Maybe Farm Credit Canada. They have their corporate head office in Regina. Brandt Industries? Evraz? (They're a steel manufacturer). 

And potash is an easy one. Mosaic already sponsors the stadium so I doubt Potash Corp or K+S can get in. 

I'm just spitballing here. No real idea. 

Yeah it's an interesting idea. I was mostly thinking the main shirt sponsor, but just like everything Roughriders, it's all very grassroots. I wonder if a more polished version of what the Foothills did could work for a Regina team

The other cities probably have a few options. Halifax + Keith's is just too perfect of a fit. Hamilton has established relationships with a few sponsors, Tim Hortons would be nice. It'll be be to see how much they can attract 

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Yeah it's an interesting idea. I was mostly thinking the main shirt sponsor, but just like everything Roughriders, it's all very grassroots. I wonder if a more polished version of what the Foothills did could work for a Regina team

The other cities probably have a few options. Halifax + Keith's is just too perfect of a fit. Hamilton has established relationships with a few sponsors, Tim Hortons would be nice. It'll be be to see how much they can attract 

With all their various sponsorship relationships, I'm sure the Riders could find a jersey sponsor of some sort. But I've got no idea who it might end up being. 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Once again your theory with no proof. They only reason their are only two public owners is because they had to approach the local governments to move things along. It may indicate that they are the only owners as you believe but there could be other owners that don't feel the need to public at this time. We have no ways of knowing for sure at the time

The biggest thing that concerns me at this point is that there's no trademarks floating around for other teams.  If this announcement is really within 15-60 days as the Spec/CBC articles stated, I would've expected to see some movement there by now.

Maybe it's not seen as something that's critical to those on the inside, but it's still weird to me.

9 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

The biggest thing that concerns me at this point is that there's no trademarks floating around for other teams.  If this announcement is really within 15-60 days as the Spec/CBC articles stated, I would've expected to see some movement there by now.

Maybe it's not seen as something that's critical to those on the inside, but it's still weird to me.

My bet is that they've become a bit more careful since it became a story when the league/Hamilton team name got trademarked, and they seem pretty intent on keeping information under control so that they can curate it well when the announcement comes

There's a delay between officially filing a trademark and formalizing/public listing, wouldn't surprise me if they were timing things to avoid it leaking. They didn't seem thrilled the United/Steelers bit had leaked out at the big BSB meeting

But you're right, it's a bit concerning 

On February 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM, matty said:

IMHO MLS as a whole could have killed the CPL with a 4th team in Alberta.

I'm sure the MLS BOD/BOG have probably mulled it over. If I were them, I'd reach out to Katz about placing a MLS franchise in Edmonton. Even if no application was put forward to them, that league has made in the past expansion moves based on panick ala NYC FC.

Archived