Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

But seriously, even the most conservative people I know are appalled by him, I doubt you're going to find much different on this forum. Unless Kelly Leitch is a soccer fan

I know two people who like him.  And I'm trying my absolute best to get inside their heads and see what makes them tick.  

It's been an odd experience but I think I've grown as a person lol

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If hockey can have the NHL as its only significant adult pro league in Canada, soccer has nothing to apologize for where MLS is concerned.

Hockey can and should have it's own 12 team Canadian league which would do very well.Guaranteed. We don't need American cities in the NHL to make money but that's a story for another day.

42 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Hockey can and should have it's own 12 team Canadian league which would do very well.Guaranteed. We don't need American cities in the NHL to make money but that's a story for another day.

Running along side the NHL or taking Canadian teams from the NHL?

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Beitashour will be spooked but OK since he has a US Passport. This insane ban applies to non-US citizens of the named countries (including dual citizens).

Yea read that a few minutes ago. This ban is fucked and very UnAmerican

54 minutes ago, Macksam said:

True. However, is MLS going to expand into 4-5 other Canadian cities?

NO!! Don't let MLS do any more harm on Canadian soccer. Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver need to join CPL. And it's MLS that needs to apologize for giving Canada substandard low quality raw sewage soccer. MLS is no better than England's Division 8. If you argue otherwise you don't know soccer.

10 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Man the potential Halifax ownership Is acting like their team is inevitable...

I would argue that they are only doing what we should be seeing elsewhere from any fresh startup, given the timeline is now 13 months until the start of preseason training and around eight months until they need to start pushing season tickets and group sales in a big way. Think Nova Scotia might be better than Halifax, so bring back the Clippers!

For the rumoured soft launch of six in 2018, it's looking like Halifax + Hamilton + four that are already up and running somewhere else (i.e. teams in USL, PDL, L1O and/or PLSQ and that could mean any of Victoria, suburban Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, London, K/W, suburban GTA, Ottawa, suburban Montreal and Quebec City in terms of places where there has been serious talk locally of pro level teams in the past and/or already is one in place). My guess would be mainly Windsor-Quebec corridor with the western part to follow later.

I suspect present day or former PDL teams are prime candidates for a move to a longer season domestic pro format because the PDL approach is geared towards a short season NCAA scholarship player format that probably only Thunder Bay actually really wants and benefits from.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I would argue that they are only doing what we should be seeing elsewhere from any fresh startup, given the timeline is now 13 months until the start of preseason training and around eight months until they need to start pushing season tickets and group sales in a big way. Think Nova Scotia might be better than Halifax, so bring back the Clippers!

For the rumoured soft launch of six in 2018, it's looking like Halifax + Hamilton + four that are already up and running somewhere else (i.e. teams in USL, PDL, L1O and/or PLSQ and that could mean any of Victoria, suburban Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, London, K/W, suburban GTA, Ottawa, suburban Montreal and Quebec City in terms of places where there has been serious talk locally of pro level teams in the past and/or already is one in place). My guess would be mainly Windsor-Quebec corridor with the western part to follow later.

The optimism in Halifax is really growing now that the city has pledged to build a high quality field on the Wanderer grounds. SEA (the folks spearheading the drive for the team) seem to be really in touch with what needs to be dont to make a franchise a success. They have a history of putting on great events and providing Fans with a top notch experience. 

In the past 2 weeks our facebook page has grown from 50 followers to 130 followers. The discussion on both our facebook page and our facebook members group is robust and optimistic with a wide variety of people participating.

As for the 'Nova Scotia' thing, no one around here really wants that (atleast that I have talked too). That would be like calling Toronto FC 'Ontario FC'. Halifax has in the past branded a few of their sports teams as 'Nova Scotia' but that generally went over like a lead balloon.  

Im not sure where this soft launch stuff is coming from but to be honest I think the only ones who know what the CPL may look like are those on the inside. I believe we really have no idea what the league will look like or when it will launch. Outside of Hamilton and Halifax there has not been a peep regarding a prospective team. I would think at this point any city that may join the league would have to either have a 5000 seat stadium in place or plans to build/expand to one starting soon. Yet with that being said anything we guess at is just that a wild guess.

Really hopeful the Halifax group can pull this off for 2018. It'll do wonders for the league to be the first to embrace the east coast. I'm actually curious if they might be a replacement team of sorts (they did pop up after all the OFFC to USL stuff went down) which would explain why they, like Hamilton, are being so aggressive.

For anyone suggesting this league will built of USL, PDL, L1O and PLSQ, please note that this Halifax group will likely be spending multiple millions a year on a temp stadium to house 5k+. Do you honestly think they would even talk about doing this if it was Whitecaps 2, Durham United or KW United and no classical big Canadian cities aside from Hamilton? With the exceptions of Victoria and Calgary it's unlikely a PDL market is in the discussion.

Sidenote: I've decided to follow Sanjaxx because they're shockingly close to me and they're stadium is where one of my favourite music videos ever was filmed. I've picked teams to follow for worse reasons (e.g. realising a zine I had made shared it's name with a Dutch team)

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

As for the 'Nova Scotia' thing, no one around here really wants that (atleast that I have talked too). That would be like calling Toronto FC 'Ontario FC'. Halifax has in the past branded a few of their sports teams as 'Nova Scotia' but that generally went over like a lead balloon.

Everyone who lives in Toronto already knows that we're pretty much the only part of Ontario that matters so I don't see what the problem is here.......

33 minutes ago, matty said:

Sidenote: I've decided to follow Sanjaxx because they're shockingly close to me and they're stadium is where one of my favourite music videos ever was filmed. I've picked teams to follow for worse reasons (e.g. realising a zine I had made shared it's name with a Dutch team)

I hope you like losses.

34 minutes ago, matty said:

For anyone suggesting this league will built of USL, PDL, L1O and PLSQ, please note that this Halifax group will likely be spending multiple millions a year on a temp stadium to house 5k+.

Don't think it takes FC Edmonton multiple millions per year to have the "big blue" seating in place that is needed to make Clarke Stadium compatable with USSF D2 sanctioning standards, so think you are hugely overestimating what is likely to be involved in expense terms on that:

1280px-Clarke_Stadium.jpg

I actually see a smallish (when compared to Tim Horton Field in Hamilton) temporary seating type stadium in Halifax as being consistent with a format that welcomes rather than excludes smaller markets that have university football stadia in the 6-12k sort of range, such as London, K/W, and Quebec City (plus suburban GTA when York University is factored in) and that makes me more rather than less upbeat that something could actually happen on this, as long as they don't get carried away on what their anticipated break even should be.

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Don't think it takes FC Edmonton multiple millions per year to have the "big blue" seating in place that is needed to make Clarke Stadium compatable with USSF D2 sanctioning standards, so think you are hugely overestimating what is likely to be involved in expense terms on that:

1280px-Clarke_Stadium.jpg

I actually see a smallish (when compared to Tim Horton Field in Hamilton) temporary seating type stadium in Halifax as being consistent with a format that welcomes rather than excludes smaller markets that have university football stadia in the 6-12k sort of range, such as London, K/W, and Quebec City (plus suburban GTA when York University is factored in) and that makes me more rather than less upbeat that something could actually happen on this, as long as they don't get carried away on what their anticipated break even should be.

Clarke's temp seating is a great deal smaller than the 8k they want in Halifax and, from what I've been told, likely costs upwards $750k a year, all things said and done. The plan for Halifax seems to be a COMPLETE temp stadium not just putting in bleachers.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

$750k is what I vaguely remember as being the installation cost, but I don't think they have to pay that every year. If temporary bleacher seating is done properly, it can last for a long time.

I do think the number is lower for install/dismantled but maintaining it and insuring it is where the costs come in. The Halifax project sounds more focused on being a smaller Empire Field than temp bleachers. The Chronicle Herald mentioned the plan being for a modest pop-up modular stadium. If you look up modular stadium for the most part you see this

tumblr_me7bi8jOxL1r9lhk1o1_1280.jpg

Bit more info http://www.andarchitects.co.uk/modular-stadium/

They seem to be using this to gauge whether there is a financial case for building something permanent, so doubt they would add all the fancy bells and whistles. Fairly basic "big blue" type seating down both sides would get them over 5k, which I suspect is significantly more than they would actually really need,* unfortunately. Think you are looking at a smaller version of the picture below minus the seating at the near end. In a similar sort of way Sacramento Republic are using Bonney Field to build a case for future public sector funding for an SSS for MLS, so they aren't going to sink huge amounts of money into it.

1280px-Bonney_Field.jpg

On the plus side for them, they have been able to fill it reasonably regularly and that has bolstered their case. FC Edmonton's ongoing inability to fill "big blue" has undermined their case for a new build SSS.

* - hope I am wrong

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They seem to be using this to gauge whether there is a financial case for building something permanent, so doubt they would add all the fancy bells and whistles. Fairly basic "big blue" type seating down both sides would get them over 5k, which I suspect is significantly more than they would actually really need,* unfortunately. Think you are looking at a smaller version of the picture below minus the seating at the near end. In a similar sort of way Sacramento Republic are using Bonney Field to build a case for future public sector funding for an SSS for MLS, so they aren't going to sink huge amounts of money into it.

I largely agree that bleachers on both sides would do them until they're ready for a permanent stadium but based on what's been presented I do believe they're gonna go beyond that (likely a U with maybe a standing bar at the open end or something).

Archived