ted

Canadian Premier League

Could you link said rumours?

It was mentioned in this thread: http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/27049-will-mls-and-usa-success-get-canada-back-to-world-cup/page-7

But it comes from the Red Patch Boys forum (I believe in one of their private forums as I couldn't find it in their public forums):

Take it with a grain of salt as it is a forum rumour. I have no idea how trust worthy this is:

-----------------------------

"Ok. Please dont jump on me too hard for this, but...

the story/rumour i have heard includes the CFL, their owners and their stadia. Spearheaded by Bob Young of Hamilton, the idea of creating a canadian soccer league, complete with single ownership structure (league owns player contracts mls style etc). Just one step down from mls. More like a canadian nasl without the nasl free for all on players. TSN is driving it from a content need since they have lost so much to rogers. The existing CFL group can piggy back on so much infrastructure that others can not to manage costs, the CSA is favourable and continues to block US based leagues from bringning teams to Canada. A mostly summer league so players can come in after mls has started and wrap up mid Oct.. I was also told that MLSE is one of the drivers trying to create valuable content for TSN to pay for.

i have heard this from a CFL source and privately from a broadcaster. I have been trying to get more details over the last week but so far no luck. All the good soccer media are preoccupied..

As I mentioned in the other thread about this topic, I don't believe MLSE is involved. I believe the guy posting the rumour has confused Bell/TSN interest with MLSE interest.

This league would be a direct competitor to MLS. I can't see the 3 Canadian MLS teams being involved as none of them are also CFL owners.

Also if the 3 MLS teams ran reserve squads in this league it would make it look more minor league.

Edited by narduch

Thanks for bringing that into the thread. Actually pretty exciting stuff, and plausible when you consider that with the roster sizes being smaller, reduced costs for equipment, and smaller coaching staff you could run a pro soccer team of similar quality to the CFL for only a fraction of the cost.

It is a lie to say that they are on the same level as the MLS or NASL teams when they are not, in any legal or sporting sense.

Where have they said it will be the same level as the nasl or mls? And how do we even know what level of play will be without seeing a ball kicked or having any idea of what the budgets will be?

The only thing we know for sure is that it will be the top flight national league in Canada. So what would you prefer to call our highest level national league?

Where have they said it will be the same level as the nasl or mls? And how do we even know what level of play will be without seeing a ball kicked or having any idea of what the budgets will be?

The only thing we know for sure is that it will be the top flight national league in Canada. So what would you prefer to call our highest level national league?

A top flight league sounds great. I can't imagine a CFL backed league being anything less than NASL level at the top of the table and solid USLPRO toward the bottom. A good starting skill level with good stadia and marketing means I'm optimistic.

Its too bad that the CSL name has been sullied. That would have been the perfect name.

My guess is it would be called the Canadian Premier League and CPL for short.

CPL would be my preference. I can't see Canada League One having much allure to people who aren't already into the national soccer scene.

They might even go with Canadian Soccer Premiership or some such, for CSP. Hell, maybe we'll have a league sponsor a la the Barclay's?

BMO Canadian Premier League, perhaps?

IMO, any all-Canadian league that actually gets off the ground will need to follow the similar path of the National Basketball League of Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_League_of_Canada That league, beginning in 2011-12, was developed with the sole purpose of developing Canadian basketball talent. Other than Ottawa, they don't have any teams in major markets, rather the "Tier 2" if you will cities (ie. Windsor, Moncton, Halifax, Saint John)

Has the quality of play been great? Not really. Has there been some growing pains? Absolutely. Is it sustainable? Not quite yet. Are there some very loyal fans to the teams in the league? Yes.

But would that league have ever been possible without the Raptors helping create a generation of fans, and athletes with dreams to play for them?

No, but Raptors playing in best basketball league in the world.  MLS in the other hand isn't even top 10 league in the world.  Most soccer fans in this country watch European soccer which is why European soccer and international tournaments (World Cup and Euros) gets better TV ratings than MLS.  A lot of kids who want to become professional soccer players don't look up to guys like Michael Bradley or Landon Donovan, but instead they look up Messi and Ronaldo who happen to play in Europe.   

If Canadian league does become a reality, hopefully Canadian league will be able to properly develop players and sell them to European clubs which a lot of young soccer players want to play in.  This will be huge for the league and help owners to make money quickly.  

No, but Raptors playing in best basketball league in the world.  MLS in the other hand isn't even top 10 league in the world.  Most soccer fans in this country watch European soccer which is why European soccer and international tournaments (World Cup and Euros) gets better TV ratings than MLS.  A lot of kids who want to become professional soccer players don't look up to guys like Michael Bradley or Landon Donovan, but instead they look up Messi and Ronaldo who happen to play in Europe.   

If Canadian league does become a reality, hopefully Canadian league will be able to properly develop players and sell them to European clubs which a lot of young soccer players want to play in.  This will be huge for the league and help owners to make money quickly.  

Personally, every time I see a game on TV, and see little kids in the stands holding MLS paraphanelia surrounded by 10,000-20,000 screaming fans, all I can think is "Hey, there's another one we might get that hockey doesn't"

I guess you did not bother to read the article we are talking about here. Go back and read it and you will see exactly where they propose to call it a first division (with asterisk).

Call it whatever we like. Canadian Premier League works for me.

I guess you did not bother to read the article we are talking about here. Go back and read it and you will see exactly where they propose to call it a first division (with asterisk).

Call it whatever we like. Canadian Premier League works for me.

I did read the article, where does it say it will be the same standard as mls or nasl? It does not say that and you nor I have absolutely no idea what the standard of play will be.

What it does say,

"But, right now, a national top league just a dream. A dream, though, that has been identified by the CSA. A dream that has a “1A” name."

And that is exactly what it will be, the top level of national football in Canada. So whatever you call it; 1a, cpl, csl ect it will be the top division in Canada. I do not see how that is a lie. Are they national leagues in Canada that are of a higher standard?

So whatever you call it; 1a, cpl, csl ect it will be the top division in Canada. I do not see how that is a lie. Are they national leagues in Canada that are of a higher standard?

OK, clearly you are lacking some information. The term "division one" (sometimes "D1", "first division", etc) is a legal description regulated by FIFA through the CSA for the highest level of competitive, professional soccer.

The name of the league is not at issue. What Montigliani is reported to have said is that a new league could be created that is at an equivalent level to MLS, but not really. The descriptor used was it would be level "1a" which is of course absurd. The levels are quite strictly regulated and he knows very well you cannot simply create a new classification that is "mostly, sort of the same".

Now as for your assertion regarding the "top division in Canada", there is already a top division in Canada, it is the MLS and has been recognized as such since the sanction was given for TFC to begin play. Montigliani specifically said in the interview that their status would not change and neither would the legally recognized second division clubs playing in the NASL.

So, leaving those teams (and cities ) out of his proposed new league we are left with secondary and tertiary markets that cannot hope to sustain anything more than a national third division. A prospect BTW that I am most heartily in support of as we need a professional third division more than any other component in our pyramid.

However if he starts approaching business people to drum up sponsors and owners and tells them he is creating something that is sort-of on the same level as MLS, but not really, it will not take long before anyone with a brain realizes he is full of ****. Instead of MLS attendance and media interest he will be selling teams in small markets without significant attendance or media buy-in.

Now you tell me, if I started telling you about stadiums full of 15-20,000 people and then tried to get you to invest in teams that might, if lucky, average 2-5,000 per game do you really think my league would be a good investment as a sponsor or owner?

Another interesting angle to all of this might be exactly what the Hamilton Ticats are trying to achieve at the moment? Their owner eventually fell out with the NASL after showing a moderate level of interest in pro soccer. He's on the hook  to try to do something on pro soccer due to the terms of the Pan Am stadium funding. I suspect USL Pro as TFC's B team isn't palatable for an organization that sees the Argos as their main rival, so if the NASL is a no go because of past disputes he still has to go through the motions on something to be able to say he tried.

OK, clearly you are lacking some information. The term "division one" (sometimes "D1", "first division", etc) is a legal description regulated by FIFA through the CSA for the highest level of competitive, professional soccer.

The name of the league is not at issue. What Montigliani is reported to have said is that a new league could be created that is at an equivalent level to MLS, but not really. The descriptor used was it would be level "1a" which is of course absurd. The levels are quite strictly regulated and he knows very well you cannot simply create a new classification that is "mostly, sort of the same".

Now as for your assertion regarding the "top division in Canada", there is already a top division in Canada, it is the MLS and has been recognized as such since the sanction was given for TFC to begin play. Montigliani specifically said in the interview that their status would not change and neither would the legally recognized second division clubs playing in the NASL.

So, leaving those teams (and cities ) out of his proposed new league we are left with secondary and tertiary markets that cannot hope to sustain anything more than a national third division. A prospect BTW that I am most heartily in support of as we need a professional third division more than any other component in our pyramid.

However if he starts approaching business people to drum up sponsors and owners and tells them he is creating something that is sort-of on the same level as MLS, but not really, it will not take long before anyone with a brain realizes he is full of ****. Instead of MLS attendance and media interest he will be selling teams in small markets without significant attendance or media buy-in.

Now you tell me, if I started telling you about stadiums full of 15-20,000 people and then tried to get you to invest in teams that might, if lucky, average 2-5,000 per game do you really think my league would be a good investment as a sponsor or owner?

But mls is not the top tier in Canada. It is the top teir in America that allows three canadian clubs. Just like the English premiership is not the top tier in wales but allows Welsh club. The top tier in wales is the welsh premiership and this new league would be the top tier in Canada.

I am not saying that this will succeed or be strong, but by default it would be our top tier of national football in Canada.

But mls is not the top tier in Canada. It is the top teir in America that allows three canadian clubs...

That is where you are misinformed. MLS is indeed the top tier in Canada and has been sanctioned as such by the CSA.

Well I'll be damned I didn't even see that this thread existed. Ted don't get ******* uppity on me ;)

Edited by Tuscan

The big news now is that USL got a lot more attractive for Canadian owners with the New West announcement. Toronto and Montreal will eventually open similar affiliates so that is three clubs with as solid a financial backing as is possible in North American soccer. USL will also have enough clubs in a couple of years to have geographically-based divisions, cutting down on travel costs.

The big news now is that USL got a lot more attractive for Canadian owners with the New West announcement. Toronto and Montreal will eventually open similar affiliates so that is three clubs with as solid a financial backing as is possible in North American soccer. USL will also have enough clubs in a couple of years to have geographically-based divisions, cutting down on travel costs.

USL Pro franchise makes sense for Vancouver, it will not make any money but it gives them a cheaper place to send players and develop them to be sold on. It pretty much says the TFC, and Montreal may well opt to so the same if the semi-pro leagues in Ontario and Quebec do not provide an equivalent level. The real issue will be can such USL Pro franchises field enough young domestic players to make it a true developmental step. I would think this move puts the discussion of a Canadian domestic league at National lower level ... promoted by the CSA in the dumper. 

A national/Canadian league would be nice, but the most important thing IMO is having more clubs - no matter which league(s) they play in. The 3 MLS clubs aren't going anywhere and hopefully we get more NASL clubs in places like Calgary, Hamilton etc. and then if we could have a handful of USL Pro clubs it would be the equivalent of having our own national league. If you look at the countries we need to compete with for a spot to the WC - Costa Rica and Honduras - they have similar national leagues to what we would have if we had 3 MLS, 3 or 4 NASL and 5 or 6 USL Pro clubs. 

Well I'll be damned I didn't even see that this thread existed. Ted don't get ******* uppity on me ;)

Sorry "******* uppity" is my specialty.

And sorry (again) for jumping to conclusions.

Yeah, we definitely need a second source on this alleged league. Shouldn't someone else be reporting on it by now given how many people need to be involved in the planning and logistics of the league that's only a year and a half away?

We only had about six months notice on the Canadian USL expansion but that involved existing clubs moving into an existing league.

Wasn't there a timeframe given?  Like July or August more details would come out, they said?  Can't remember. 

I get the impatience though.  It's like waiting for Christmas.