• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

First off, great job Squizz.

Second, the fact that VM says they have ownership groups more than interested shows that the C-League is a legit possibility. 

Thirsd, does anybody read into this quote?

MLSsoccer.com: How about first letter of a first name?

Montagliani: Well, you can speculate. I’ll put it that way. 

The way it sounds to me VM uses the word "speculate" on purpose. The first letter being "s" = SCOTT ARFIELD!!!!

Edited by mserson
2 hours ago, mserson said:

First off, great job Squizz.

Second, the fact that VM says they have ownership groups more than interested shows that the C-League is a legit possibility. 

Thirsd, does anybody read into this quote?

MLSsoccer.com: How about first letter of a first name?

Montagliani: Well, you can speculate. I’ll put it that way. 

The way it sounds to me VM uses the word "speculate" on purpose. The first letter being "s" = SCOTT ARFIELD!!!!

I decided to go back and read Steve Sandor's original article that launched this thread. It's interesting how well what Mont Vic said then lines up with what he is saying now. A sympathetic reading of both articles suggests that they had the idea for D1 a couple of years ago and ever since have slowly been putting the pieces in place, and with financial sustainability as one of the main planks in the league structure. Add to that the fact that the CSA has been doing some things better recently and it at least gives cause for hope.

On the other hand, and unsympathetic reading would suggest that Mont Vic is self-deluded and that it's really not feasible.

It would be wonderful to have more details about all this but at least they are officially talking about it now.

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I decided to go back and read Steve Sandor's original article that launched this thread. It's interesting how well what Mont Vic said then lines up with what he is saying now. A sympathetic reading of both articles suggests that they had the idea for D1 a couple of years ago and ever since have slowly been putting the pieces in place, and with financial sustainability as one of the main planks in the league structure. Add to that the fact that the CSA has been doing some things better recently and it at least gives cause for hope.

On the other hand, and unsympathetic reading would suggest that Mont Vic is self-deluded and that it's really not feasible.

It would be wonderful to have more details about all this but at least they are officially talking about it now.

the fact he's talking about making more details public in 2016 is huge. Execs don't say that sort of thing unless they know they'll be able to back it up.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

the fact he's talking about making more details public in 2016 is huge. Execs don't say that sort of thing unless they know they'll be able to back it up.

I hope you're right. I still fear that it will never get off the ground regardless of what he is saying. However, it is comforting to know that they are working on it and that their expectations are that it is not that far off.

"We’re continuing our due diligence in that. We’ve talked to the various ownership groups that would be interested—actually, more than just interested—so what we want to do is, I think, 2016 we’ll be in a position to go public with more details and even have more of a date going forward, in terms of when we would start."

So maybe more details in 2016? A date as to when they would start? I'm all ears but this is nothing new. As others have pointed out that is almost the same thing he said years ago. Consistency or lack of progress?

We'll wait and see I guess because we have nothing new here.

Thanks for reading the interview and the kind words, folks. I would have loved to go into more detail with him about the potential league, but I was trying to hit a number of different topics in a limited amount of time.

Everyone's going to construe his comments in their own way, but I think we can all agree that the current path (wherever that path may lead) is better than them rushing into something that proves itself to be unsustainable.

Decent interview with Montagliani, but I'll play Devil's Advocate, since that is what I do best.  In regards to the C-league, he was very broad, no given timeline, like say by summer, we'll have a plan or a month, it's pretty much the same as it was before, maybe he's still buying more time to get investors aboard, but I still think this C-league, if it should happen, will be a partnership with NASL and not independant, since last I checked Edmonton, wasn't on board, and neither were any big investors in Canada's big three cities, so I'm guessing a hybrid C-league will be born in some form, which should please all, minus the hardcore here.  Regarding the women's world cup, I think the quarterfinals was the best they could hope for.  The girls weren't good enough to make it further, plus they were helped in that first game against China to win, so that was FIFA giving the host a hand to at least make the quarters.  Don't know if the women's game is getting talented, as I see more women's teams getting better each year, to the point that Canada's style of long balling and playing with grit, won't get us far in a World Cup, but I think the future is still bright to get better female players.  Regarding the V-cup, I think it's a great thought to invite more amateur teams, but Vic has to tell me how the amateur teams will pay to travel in a 2 game series, unless the 3 MLS teams will get a semi-final berth like the present and Edmonton, Ottawa, Calgary, BCSL, CSL, QSL, etc all have a tournament to send a team representative to play against them? I think Vic should make more noise to get Canada another spot in the CCL with V-cup winner getting one spot and the future CSL winner getting the other one (which I'll assume won't involve no MLS, USL or NASL teams).

On 01/01/2016 at 10:29 PM, rob.notenboom said:

He doesn't have to be self-deluded to be doing what he is doing if it is not feasible. His main concern ultimately will be keeping his job and telling people what they want to hear is often the best way to do that.

On 1/2/2016 at 10:33 PM, squizz said:

Thanks for reading the interview and the kind words, folks. I would have loved to go into more detail with him about the potential league, but I was trying to hit a number of different topics in a limited amount of time.

Everyone's going to construe his comments in their own way, but I think we can all agree that the current path (wherever that path may lead) is better than them rushing into something that proves itself to be unsustainable.

Better get our teams out of the US structure as fast as possible then :rolleyes:

According to a recent tweet from Canadian soccer podcaster Duane Rolling, it appears that the new Canadian pro-soccer league will be called the "Canadian Premier League" (CPL). There it is...It finally has a name after one year of speculation.  I will go with this info for now. Let's hope it's true.

Edited by SoccerCoach

Guy who's against the idea of this league: "This name is dumb and will destroy the league...if it ever gets off the ground!"

Guy who's excited for the league: "Your crazy, that name is great!"

repeat above about 40 billion times and you get the idea of where this thread is going.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Guy who's against the idea of this league: "This name is dumb and will destroy the league...if it ever gets off the ground!"

Guy who's excited for the league: "Your crazy, that name is great!"

repeat above about 40 billion times and you get the idea of where this thread is going.

Incorrect, I am very for the idea of this league, just not the name being suggested.