Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

....As we have known for a while the Ticats are interested but there have been very few solid rumours from other cities. 

I somewhat disagree at least when it comes to Regina. Simon Fudge, who has written for MLS and Sky Sports, reported on Regina being included in the CPL and Rod Pedersen, Roughriders play by play guy for CKRM, stated he was aware of a hope to bring pro soccer to the city. http://www.rodpedersen.com/2016/05/the-monday-morning-goalie_15.html

Its great that news is coming out slowly, but surely.....but I can only get excited when I see at least Toronto, and Quebec included in the conversations. Not having teams in the where half the country lives, doesn't make sense to me and screamsssss CFL. And I still don't want that.

3 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Its great that news is coming out slowly, but surely.....but I can only get excited when I see at least Toronto, and Quebec included in the conversations. Not having teams in the where half the country lives, doesn't make sense to me and screamsssss CFL. And I still don't want that.

Toronto is borderline a lock in my books. I know, blah blah Rollins and Totera, but they haven't given me a reason to call BS. I'm pretty confident about QC but doubtful for 2018

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Don't think there's much of a Blizzard-specific fanbase to tap into given 500 was often the actual as opposed to announced level of support in the original CSL and that was almost 30 years ago now. 

Don't underestimate the hipster appeal

Anything with the perception of history and authenticity is grasped at these days, especially with the all important 18-35 demographic. It doesn't matter if they never had a legitimate connection to the Blizzard

Though personally, I think throwback 3rd jerseys are a better idea than actually naming the team that 

He owned it about 15 years back. Unless he renewed it very recently its currently abandoned with the last attempt to resurrect it being in 2012 by somebody else.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do?lang=eng&status=&fileNumber=1604928&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

It's registered to him

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Though personally, I think throwback 3rd jerseys are a better idea than actually naming the team that 

TFC are arguably doing the retro thing with the away jersey at the moment that has a bit of a Blizzard feel to it, but I suspect blue is being worked in for Argos related reasons. Paul Beirne always seemed quite negative about any Blizzard angle along with a lot of people who were new to soccer with TFC. 

TFC are arguably doing the retro thing with the away jersey at the moment that has a bit of a Blizzard feel to it, but I suspect blue is being worked in for Argos related reasons. Paul Beirne always seemed quite negative about any Blizzard angle along with a lot of people who were new to soccer with TFC. 

TFC are totally doing the retro thing with the away jersey but question if it's for the Argos (still would not be shocked). For the record I'm anti-Blizzard

I wonder what Mario Di Bartolomeo is up to these days. Justin Fashanu leaving the field of play to try to attack him in the Centennial Stadium press box is the craziest thing I have ever seen at a pro soccer game. Always thought Steeler beer was a marketing move that deserved praise, because the name is such a good fit with the city, but Dale Barnes was still going crazy about it years later as it undercut a league sponsorship deal. John McGrane was part of that era. I suspect there is a good chance they would go with Steelers. 

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suspect they will go with Hamilton United.  The new OPDL team starting up right now is called Hamilton United Elite Academy and calling the big club Hamilton United ties the grassroots to the professional team.  

Good point. Just read on their website that they are planning a League 1 Ontario bid too

Also I believe that all or almost all the clubs in Hamilton are now affiliated.  That represents roughly  26,000 players and something like 100,000 family members of players.  That is a big grassroot to tap into  and each and every one of them has had the survey already sent to them.  

Hamilton is building a big community based and supported franchise.

[Sorry to double up - missed the little tiny link earlier.]

New Canadian pro soccer league makes major hire

Paul Beirne was also the first employee of Toronto FC

Paul Beirne

Paul Beirne

Paul Beirne is the first official employee of the new Canadian Premier League.

Hamilton Spectator

In a major step toward its projected 2018 debut, soccer's Canadian Premier League has hired its first official employee.

And, in the Canadian footy world, he's a biggie.

Paul Beirne, who was also the first employee of Toronto FC, is the project manager for the new professional league which he says will start play with "six to 10 teams across the country." Most will be there for the projected league kickoff in 2018, he says, although some might wait until 2019 to begin play...

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6964861-new-canadian-pro-soccer-league-makes-major-hire/

Summary of the Steve Milton interview in TSN 1150:

Actual News:

- CPL has been approved by FIFA (not sure that means much considering it would just be FIFA via CSA saying yes to their own project?) 

- Bubble for Tim Hortons field still hasn't been approved. It is necessary for the academy but not the team launch

- CSA is involved structurally but he does not think financially. 

- MLS teams are interested in clubs but doubts they will be allowed to be involved

- 6-10 teams, but some will only join in 2019. Minimum 6 at launch

- It's a go for 2018

- The ownership groups feel they've been successful keeping a low profile on this (no shit). He doesn't know the names of all the owners

- Bierne news

Opinion from Steve Milton:

- Paul Bierne learned what it is like marketed a club in the second division (Brighton), so he will be well suited for a league that has MLS looming over it

- Thinks Ottawa and Edmonton, if they aren't interested in moving over, might eventually be forced (again, his opinion, this contrasts Montagliani's position) 

- He doesn't know the soccer community well, but what he understands about the Hamilton market and the others mentioned to him (which he failed to name) have a hunger for it

Sorry for the constant posting, just trying to maintain a record so I can put it in the timeline later

If I'm reading this correctly, FuryFanatic is confirming that the Ottawa Fury are good to go for CPL 2018!

https://mobile.twitter.com/FuryFanatic/status/798308407849742341

However, a bit vague on what he means by "the league won't be fully operational by 2018, some clubs need more time." As in several teams won't be ready for 2018 and the league will start with fewer teams, or that the league will not actually run a 2018 season. Taken with the other sources, I'm inclines towards the former

5 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Why can't they wait to have all the teams join at the same time. Would be sensible action to take and give more time into finding more players in college and so on. These are good news to read about and can't wait to see more in the next few months/years.

I agree with this. You only get one launch. Why come out with a league thats only 3/4 baked?

27 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I agree with this. You only get one launch. Why come out with a league thats only 3/4 baked?

These are my sentiments as well, but I imagine some may want to get things off the ground while everyone is committed. Maybe the 2018 Tim Horton's Field deadline plays a factor from the Hamilton side, which isn't a good enough reason, but could be a motivation from some to push. Who knows

If it's 6 teams in year 1 with 2 or 3 more announced but not ready for 2019 at least from a launch perspective it's off the ground and they can get the business side up and running.

Also from a Canadian content perspective as we've debated, 6 teams at 50% in year 1 is duable and eases some of the player contract bottleneck issues.

Archived