Canadian Premier League

ted

3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

also, because I can :P

toBr9HS.png

OK, now do this again with some of your great team logos you've been making on the map! And another version with just East and West (ideally with the teams that are the top 8 in the moment in the vote in the cities thread, but I think you don't have a Calgary logo made yet).

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The western part of Canada is really where travel gets messy.

You could cluster something like:

Western:

1. Vancouver 

2. Calgary 

3. Edmonton

4. Regina

Central:

1. Winnipeg

2. Hamilton

3. Toronto

4. Southern Ont city

East:

1. Ottawa

2. Montreal

3. Quebec City

4. Atl Canada city

Intra-conference: 2 home and away games

Inter-conference: 1 home and away game

I believe that would equal a 28 game season.

Las Palmas tied Real Madrid today.

Las Palmas population 380K.

But let's keep pretending market size's that small will never grow our league. Heck, even Toronto is barely big enough for 1 cookie cutter franchise. Forget having an actual club or clubs.

Don't drink the Owners kool-aid, we can have clubs and an open market.

23 minutes ago, reme90 said:

But let's keep pretending market size's that small will never grow our league. Heck, even Toronto is barely big enough for 1 cookie cutter franchise. Forget having an actual club or clubs.

Hey Kool Aid has been the drink of choice for Canada Red years after years, so why should they stop drinking the Kool aid they are served.If they stop that means they will actually listen to a guy like you and perhaps me.

You Know Kool aid is a Thirst Quencher?  

On 9/21/2016 at 11:29 PM, Complete Homer said:

It seems to fit quite well with the second group of non-professionals trying to go around using the CPL moniker, hurting the reputation of the whole thing 

Maybe this is why the CSA is so closed off about this... better to work in silence than allow rumours to get co-opted by well meaning but misguided groups. 

• The Reason any Group reputation would be hurt is organization that claim to have developed a plan that was and is seen by potential investors from another party whom they know is the Original Group to approach them for Franchising as we have  told them our only set back is the CSA Sanctioning our plan and concept.
  • The Business plan we developed has been seen by many Business Associates in Europe and North America 

16 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The western part of Canada is really where travel gets messy.

You could cluster something like:

Western:

1. Vancouver 

2. Calgary 

3. Edmonton

4. Regina

Central:

1. Winnipeg

2. Hamilton

3. Toronto

4. Southern Ont city

East:

1. Ottawa

2. Montreal

3. Quebec City

4. Atl Canada city

Intra-conference: 2 home and away games

Inter-conference: 1 home and away game

I believe that would equal a 28 game season.

This looks ideal.  Reasonably low travel costs

16 hours ago, Kent said:

OK, now do this again with some of your great team logos you've been making on the map! And another version with just East and West (ideally with the teams that are the top 8 in the moment in the vote in the cities thread, but I think you don't have a Calgary logo made yet).

it's coming.  But yea I did do a calgary one, not sure how much everyone liked it but I did one haha 

On 9/24/2016 at 2:51 PM, Complete Homer said:

The scheduling idea suggested by someone ( @Hammer ?) of 2 home/aways intra-conference and 1 home/away inter-conference cut down on travel a lot. Ignoring one or two exceptions, it would mean teams only have to fly 4 times a year as most intra conference teams are within a day or two busing (obviously Winnipeg - > Vancouver/Surrey/Victoria isn't busable, but overall most games wouldn't require flights). 

Regardless, my understanding is that the markets outside of one or two are already lined up, so I assume these discussions are a bit in the past, unless we are talking about advocating for where expansions should be  

Thanks, and that pretty much was my idea, but that is true. Winnipeg to Vancouver isn't really driveable, and sadly for the east, neither is Halifax or Moncton....well basically anywhere but Quebec City. However 5 flights is still a drastic reduction. I should also add, I would ideally like to see this league negotiate travel expenses as a league, not individual clubs and also jointly handle travel expenses to make the have franchises ease the burden of the have not locations.

However, I think in my initial league table, I called for Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon/Regina Winnipeg (with later expansion when stable to Vancouver/Regina-Sask) and Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City (with later expansion when stable to Montreal, London/Tri-City).

The other reason I like it, you can end the season with the best of both the English table system and the North American post-season. You say "To qualify for the final game, you must win your table" giving league play across the season a lot of meaning, and then a single final series that you can market and make into an event.

3 hours ago, Futballer said:
  • The Reason any Group reputation would be hurt is organization that claim to have developed a plan that was and is seen by potential investors from another party whom they know is the Original Group to approach them for Franchising as we have  told them our only set back is the CSA Sanctioning our plan and concept.
  • The Business plan we developed has been seen by many Business Associates in Europe and North America 

Who the fuck is we and will you please start writing coherent fucking sentences? 

4 hours ago, reme90 said:

Yeah, except they have an established decades long system of pro/rel, fanbases in Las Palmas that can sustain a 30K stadium and no other serious competing sports. Canadian soccer does not have those luxuries. Also, we have 16 30K+ metros across our entire country of which you could fit nearly 20 Spains into. Spain has 26, and a country you can drive entirely across in 10 hours.

Smaller clubs occur after big clubs are stable in my eyes. The key is having the CSA hold the reigns and not a seperate entity deciding who and who can't join (because you're part of another club's market, which is total BS).

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Thanks, and that pretty much was my idea, but that is true. Winnipeg to Vancouver isn't really driveable, and sadly for the east, neither is Halifax or Moncton....well basically anywhere but Quebec City. However 5 flights is still a drastic reduction. I should also add, I would ideally like to see this league negotiate travel expenses as a league, not individual clubs and also jointly handle travel expenses to make the have franchises ease the burden of the have not locations.

However, I think in my initial league table, I called for Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon/Regina Winnipeg (with later expansion when stable to Vancouver/Regina-Sask) and Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City (with later expansion when stable to Montreal, London/Tri-City).

The other reason I like it, you can end the season with the best of both the English table system and the North American post-season. You say "To qualify for the final game, you must win your table" giving league play across the season a lot of meaning, and then a single final series that you can market and make into an event.

I like your list.

6 hours ago, reme90 said:

Hey, the moment that Ottawa Gloucester Celtic or one of the other Challenge Trophy teams wants to build a 5000-seat stadium and a team with a $1m annual budget, I'd be all for them joining the CPL.

But considering our top amateur teams aren't doing that, and they're the top level of soccer outside of Ontario & Quebec, I won't hold my breath on them joining the league.

This organic amateur club-based approach has had 100 years to accomplish what you want, and it hasn't produced the result.  You need clubs capable of populating a professional D1 league, and we don't have that.  So another approach is needed.

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Hey, the moment that Ottawa Gloucester Celtic or one of the other Challenge Trophy teams wants to build a 5000-seat stadium and a team with a $1m annual budget, I'd be all for them joining the CPL.

But considering our top amateur teams aren't doing that, and they're the top level of soccer outside of Ontario & Quebec, I won't hold my breath on them joining the league.

This organic amateur club-based approach has had 100 years to accomplish what you want, and it hasn't produced the result.  You need clubs capable of populating a professional D1 league, and we don't have that.  So another approach is needed.

He's not totally off base though, as much as I think you do have to have some minimum requirements put in place, I certainly agree with @reme90 that we don't want to allow ownership to form a monopoly.  Set a minimum bar and don't allow exclusion zones or anything of the like.  Basically keep our ears to the ground and if we get wind the CSA is letting them do so we make a big stink.

We can't exactly emulate europe, but we don't want to completely throw the baby out with the bath water either.  Some parts of the MLS structure are necessary, and some parts are not.  Take the good(or necessary), toss the bad.

7 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

He's not totally off base though, as much as I think you do have to have some minimum requirements put in place, I certainly agree with @reme90 that we don't want to allow ownership to form a monopoly.  Set a minimum bar and don't allow exclusion zones or anything of the like.  Basically keep our ears to the ground and if we get wind the CSA is letting them do so we make a big stink.

We can't exactly emulate europe, but we don't want to completely throw the baby out with the bath water either.  Some parts of the MLS structure are necessary, and some parts are not.  Take the good(or necessary), toss the bad.

I would be shocked if there weren't exclusion zones, to be honest.  The whole project is uncertain enough from a financial point-of-view that no owner is going to risk having competition in their own backyard.

This goes double if it's backed by CFL or NHL money.  The Montreal Als have an exclusion zone on the whole province of Quebec, ffs.

57 minutes ago, Copes said:

Quick question, but what are thoughts on this "3 region" set up about splitting Montreal and Toronto? To me, that's a rivalry you fight to maintain. Although I understand why that is tough if you have a "central" region.

I don't really expect there to be a Montreal team, at least not at the start, so I'm not particularly worried about keeping the rivalry.

Besides, Montreal-Quebec would be a much stronger rivalry - just look at hockey; Montreal's rivalries with Boston and Quebec have almost always been stronger than the rivalry with Toronto. Even in the 'original 6' period, Toronto was only the big rival for a short stretch - from 28-29 to 58-59, they only met in the playoffs 4 times, whereas the Habs faced Boston 12x, Detroit 10x, Chicago 8x, and the Rangers 7x. It was really only 59-60 to 66-67, where they met 7 times in 9 years, that there was much of a rivalry, and since then they've only met in the playoffs twice.

9 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

I don't really expect there to be a Montreal team, at least not at the start, so I'm not particularly worried about keeping the rivalry.

Besides, Montreal-Quebec would be a much stronger rivalry - just look at hockey; Montreal's rivalries with Boston and Quebec have almost always been stronger than the rivalry with Toronto. Even in the 'original 6' period, Toronto was only the big rival for a short stretch - from 28-29 to 58-59, they only met in the playoffs 4 times, whereas the Habs faced Boston 12x, Detroit 10x, Chicago 8x, and the Rangers 7x. It was really only 59-60 to 66-67, where they met 7 times in 9 years, that there was much of a rivalry, and since then they've only met in the playoffs twice.

Yeah but that was both times the Leafs actually made the playoffs!

20 hours ago, longlugan said:

Who the fuck is we and will you please start writing coherent fucking sentences? 

The We Group is Called Canadian National Soccer League Project:/ The Website ( 3 years prior to Hamilton Interest) www.cnsl.ca was launched as an introduction to the idea and to gain interest and feed back privately. 

Speaking about proper usage of word what does the act of sex has to do with your question? SMH!!!

38 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

There are groups in Quebec City that were approached to join the CPL and are still in talks. British Columbia has a investor, add Moncton as the investor was quite impress with the turn out for the World Cup, 

Edmonton/Calgary is reserved for present groups in those cities, Ottawa is reserved for groups in that City. Toronto will have a Franchise in the First year of operation possible out of  Lamport or Etobicoke Centennial. 

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Those locations won't draw at all

With the planned development of the Stadiums to fit the required professional League environment and settings it will attract, These are well known Locations for soccer, 

These locations is unlike Birchmount which posses a lot of difficulty to travel to. 

8 minutes ago, Futballer said:

With the planned development of the Stadiums to fit the required professional League environment and settings it will attract, These are well known Locations for soccer, 

These locations is unlike Birchmount which posses a lot of difficulty to travel to. 

DiamondBeachMap3.gif

Sorry but that Centennial Stadium is far. Won't draw. 

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

There are groups in Quebec City that were approached to join the CPL and are still in talks. British Columbia has a investor,

Edmonton/Calgary is reserved for present groups in those cities, Ottawa is reserved for groups in that City. Toronto will have a Franchise in the First year of operation possible out of  Lamport or Etobicoke Centennial. 

Is the investor in BC on the island? We need a team that we don't have to take a damn ferry to watch.

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

There are groups in Quebec City that were approached to join the CPL and are still in talks. British Columbia has a investor, add Moncton as the investor was quite impress with the turn out for the World Cup, 

So your projection is an eight-team league with:

BC
Calgary
Edmonton
Hamilton (presumably)
Toronto
Ottawa
QC
Moncton

Archived