Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many STH would actually Stop purchasing Van/Tfc/Mtl tickets and buy instead for a "Canadian League" (D2/D1 call it whatever you want). We should do a POOL. I know I will Leave the Whitecaps if there is a Canadian League Alternative.

I know a few people who would consider jumping off the TFC ship to a Hamilton NASL team if MLSE increases ticket prices for any reason but a deep playoff run. Not sure about a new league, and that is provided said Hamilton team has reasonable ticket prices as well.

Wasn't the CSA supposed to have a D1 up and running by 2003?  By not maximizing the pro opportunities in NASL, USL etc, we're literally wasting precious years of development for our young talent by assuming the CSA will eventually get something going.

FWIW, Bill Peterson said of the C-League:

I don’t know where that stands. I can’t quite figure who is behind that or where it stands, so I am not sure if it is anything more than just a rumour.

So it doesn't seem like there's much actual progress in the boardrooms either.

How many STH would actually Stop purchasing Van/Tfc/Mtl tickets and buy instead for a "Canadian League" (D2/D1 call it whatever you want). We should do a POOL. I know I will Leave the Whitecaps if there is a Canadian League Alternative.

Obviously the people on this board would support the C-league if ever got off the ground, but I doubt many Southsiders, RCB, or Curva would join the C-league supporters. Most of the Southsiders who cheer go for thr atmosphere, and singing, not because Joe Canadian is playing. I wish the C-league Van team a huge ton of luck, there gonna need to survive small crowds foe the first 3-4 years.

It's supposed to get announced this week according to Duane Rollins, right?

I never reported that it would be announced this week. I suggested (on the podcast) that it could be "as early as Sept".

I've maintained since the start Dec/Jan is most likely announcement time. Likely after the Grey Cup.

All I can tell you is my sources are very high. I'm not concerned that I'm going to be burned here and if I am I'll likely get the privilege of reporting it first (and being accused of having made it all up for attention).

Allez les Rouge...

This weekend was the second possible date he's mentioned (the previous qualifiers were mentioned as a possible date as well). I guess late 2015/early 2016 is the final date for a 2017 launch. It looks unlikely that any teams wanting to get into NASL/USL for 2016 can do so at this late date so we are going to have our first year with no new pro teams in a while.

The CSA can't even put on a working stream.  Trusting them with the professional futures of our youngsters is CanMNT suicide and would put us even further in the doldrums.  The NASL and USL aren't perfect, but maxing out the Canadian cities that can field teams in them is our best alternative

You haven't provided any rationale for that statement. If the USSF development system is properly functional, then why not make use of it rather than attempting to reinvent the wheel?

If I were to provide rationale for it, I'd simply state that it would create more DEFINITE opportunities for Canadian players.  Especially if there was a quota

You haven't provided any rationale for that statement. If the USSF development system is properly functional, then why not make use of it rather than attempting to reinvent the wheel?

For the same reason Wales, Austria, Switzerland, Japan and others do.

The USSF system is properly functional....for the US national team. Why? Because developing American talent is the top priority of MLS, NASL and USL clubs. At the top of our shared pyramid, it's clear that Canadian MLS clubs clearly prefer to play Americans than Canadians.

Montreal have given 86 starts to US players this year, and 16 starts to Canadian players.

Toronto FC have given 159 starts to US players this year, and 36 starts to Canadian players.

Whitecaps have given 56 starts to US players this year, and 19 starts to Canadian players.

How does this benefit the Canadian national team? Answer, it hasn't. We laud the Whitecaps for developing Teibert, but he is not a starter in our best XI. We laud TFC for developing Henry, Osorio and Morgan, but only Henry is a starter in out best XI, and that's up for debate. We laud the Impact for Tissot, but he is a fringe player, let alone a starter in the starting XI. And MLS is not even considered a quality league in comparison with top divisions in Europe.

The CSA could demand the US players are considered foreigners on Canadian clubs, but let's be honest, that's not going to happen.

The system we currently have is improving, but far too slowly for Canada to catch up to the competition. I think Canadian USL clubs are doing a good job of getting minutes for players in the 16-23 age range, (even though I think WFC 2 can do much better), but it's too early to tell what impact they will have in moving the youngsters through to MLS, Europe, and the national team. 

We need more spots for Canadians to play week in, week out, and develop. Having a domestic league detached from the USSF system gives another place for players to develop, and allows the CSA to control the roster limits. The cream of the crop can move on to MLS, Europe, national team, wherever. And the Canadian MLS clubs can go on their merry way prioritizing players from the US, South America, England, etc.

The USSF system is properly functional....for the US national team. Why? Because developing American talent is the top priority of MLS, NASL and USL clubs. At the top of our shared pyramid, it's clear that Canadian MLS clubs clearly prefer to play Americans than Canadians.

Montreal have given 86 starts to US players this year, and 16 starts to Canadian players.

Toronto FC have given 159 starts to US players this year, and 36 starts to Canadian players.

Whitecaps have given 56 starts to US players this year, and 19 starts to Canadian players.

How does this benefit the Canadian national team? Answer, it hasn't. We laud the Whitecaps for developing Teibert, but he is not a starter in our best XI. We laud TFC for developing Henry, Osorio and Morgan, but only Henry is a starter in out best XI, and that's up for debate. We laud the Impact for Tissot, but he is a fringe player, let alone a starter in the starting XI. And MLS is not even considered a quality league in comparison with top divisions in Europe.

The CSA could demand the US players are considered foreigners on Canadian clubs, but let's be honest, that's not going to happen.

The system we currently have is improving, but far too slowly for Canada to catch up to the competition. I think Canadian USL clubs are doing a good job of getting minutes for players in the 16-23 age range, (even though I think WFC 2 can do much better), but it's too early to tell what impact they will have in moving the youngsters through to MLS, Europe, and the national team. 

We need more spots for Canadians to play week in, week out, and develop. Having a domestic league detached from the USSF system gives another place for players to develop, and allows the CSA to control the roster limits. The cream of the crop can move on to MLS, Europe, national team, wherever. And the Canadian MLS clubs can go on their merry way prioritizing players from the US, South America, England, etc.

I agree. People talk about our progress, but they neglect to mention how Costa Rica, Panama, Haiti and other countries are improving rapidly. We're not even keeping up with their development, let alone surpassing them.

Seems to me that this (from this article ) puts an end to the idea of Ottawa in this new league:

There has been a lot of talk about the possible formation of a Canadian Professional League. Do you think that’s the answer for Canadian clubs? Or is it NASL?
“The NASL is the place to be. I don’t know if Canada has the willingness to have a fully professional Canadian league. Montreal has a clue of what it takes. Toronto has a clue of what it takes. Vancouver has a clue of what it takes. Ottawa and Edmonton have a clue of the costs and the investment needed to create a fully professional team. And, for me, it’s hard to see how we will have a league with 12 teams that are at the level of where Edmonton and Ottawa are in NASL. I think there are a lot of people who say the right things, but they do not have a clue of what it takes to be a professional team, and the investment it takes. I think a lot of people in Canada want to say the right thing, and that’s we should start our own professional league. You can’t really call yourself a professional team if a player is working at the bank during the day and then going to practice. You’re not professional if a player goes to training and then goes for beer with friends. I will say I believe in the Canadian professional league if there are 12 teams who are professional like Ottawa and Edmonton. But, if it’s Ottawa and Edmonton and 10 semi-pro teams, that’s not a professional league.”

It is posible that the coach and the owner are not in sync but I find it hard to believe they are not talking about this.

Archived