Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tg11

Yes he is ready because he can't play in the MLS forever and in order to evolve into a world class midfielder he needs to leave MLS plain and simple

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Well rumors are that Ronaldo is also leaving Real Madrid so them being attached to Davies in a rumor does not surprise me

Ah yes, I can also see Davies being a direct replacement for one of the best players ever. 

13 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Another good game by Davies. You can see his progression from last year in the sense he's far more consistent. 

He had another assist stolen by poor team finishing, a breakaway that clattered off the post, blasted a volley just over and a scuffed shot on a break. Could have been another big game but he did end up with one assist. 

He's got the work rate but I think he's also got a lot of MLS in him still where his off the ball pace is a bit slow. He will pick this up fast in higher levels of competition IMO. 

Still worth noting he also got two secondary assists. The first one was a decent heads up play.

Madrid’s has a reputation for buying up as much quality as possible regardless of age and loaning them out. They purchased Martin Odegaard at 14 or 15 and he’s been on loan for a while, I would think they would have a similar plan for Davies. That’s why I hope he goes to a club in Europe with a strong reputation for developing young players (Ajax, Marseille, AS Roma) before moving onto the big clubs like Madrid.

Guest Tg11
21 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Madrid’s has a reputation for buying up as much quality as possible regardless of age and loaning them out. They purchased Martin Odegaard at 14 or 15 and he’s been on loan for a while, I would think they would have a similar plan for Davies. That’s why I hope he goes to a club in Europe with a strong reputation for developing young players (Ajax, Marseille, AS Roma) before moving onto the big clubs like Madrid.

Ajax and AS Roma are the best fits for him but probably more Ajax. Think about their system vs Roma's system in terms of developing youth talent which has the better program? Ajax does. Not to mention he probably wouldn't get first team action right away. He would probably play for the B team first and then over time then he could potentially break into the first team.

2 hours ago, Strait Red said:

That is true, but it is also because these players, like Odegaard at Madrid or Halilovic at Barça (who was playing for Croatia national team as a teen, just a few years ago, and was now ignored for the WC) want first team minutes and make waves. Not because the club forces them out.

If they would just sit tight and play for a B team of a side in La Liga, as Tabla is doing, they'd actually work out better in the short to mid term. 

Real Madrid B is in third tier, it is modest enough, but young players are moved up to the first team regularly, like Achraf the Morrocan back, and Mayoral. Indeed many others. If you play your cards right, playing regularly at a level that is perhaps a bit low for your skills, but against hard-knock pros in Spanish 2B, and staying close to the first team, training with it every so often, is a solid formula. He'd also play Youth League perhaps, he'd get playing time.

I am not saying that loaned players never make it back: Asensio was on loan at Espanyol for a year, and now is an important Madrid player and went to Russia with Spain. But the risk is to be ignored unless you really stand out in your loan spell, where the coach has no investment in you and does not care a thing about developing you for the team that owns you.

This is an even more complete article, from As. All the Spanish sports pages have picked up the story, after the Toronto Sun reported the interest.

https://as.com/futbol/2018/07/06/internacional/1530898493_670520.html

I think his game was not as sharp yesterday as last week's, he was a bit lazy defending, he and De Jong missed controls and did not connect well in the 1st half, he seemed to be tired or out of place a bit. He should not have been left on to save the result but subbed, but that is Robbo, who is useless defending a lead, his tactics are stone age. 

Still, that said, he missed a shot in the first minutes, had a breakaway saved off the post, first half. Second half the Fire players tried to provoke him, he had a few breaks he missed (one pass, one first time shot that went awry). Then finally got that great assist. It was not his best game, but he was still very present in attack.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He won't go for more than 2 million euros, don't think. If he does, I'd be surprised and impressed.

He'll definitely go for more than 2 millions Euros. Miazga went to Chelsea 2 years ago for ~5 million and I don't think Miazga has the ceiling Davies does. 

1 minute ago, yomurphy1 said:

He'll definitely go for more than 2 millions Euros. Miazga went to Chelsea 2 years ago for ~5 million and I don't think Miazga has the ceiling Davies does. 

If there is a bidding war, you may be right, I am probably low. Tabla seems to have gone for under 2 million dollars, we don't know, but mind you: there was no previous rumour mill like the one for Davies. I mean, if Madrid is announced to be interested, Barça may bid just to force them to pay more, without intention of really acquiring him, just to force their rival to overpay.

But a player may not necessarily agree to a transfer to the club offering the most transfer: what happens if Real Madrid offers 5 million, but Manchester Utd offers the player double the salary but a lower transfer: the player may opt for the better salary option for him, not the transfer to the Whitecaps.

Guest Tg11

Can't see Alphonso going to Man Utd. even though it would be good for him playing for their B team but are Man Utd. really that interested? How about Chelsea are they really interested in him as well? I mean could I see him going to Chelsea as far as playing for their B team? Yeah sure it is possible but then again who knows. What I am saying is that as far as good situations go the best landing spot is the Dutch Eredivisie, it is Ajax.

Guest Tg11
9 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Manchester United was the first team to be confirmed scouting Davies years ago. I assume they are interested if they are still linked. 

Okay fair enough but even if they land him which is a very big if at this point but even if they do he would either most likely end up playing for their B team or he would end up on loan most likely. Either way if that all happens then it at least gives him time to grow before eventually getting called into their first team because certain players get called into the first team well sooner or later not all but if Alphonso makes first team he would have to worry about getting playing time.

10 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

In one page we've gone from replacing Ronaldo in Madrid, to fetching well below $2 million. wtf

That is because people here do not realise that Harry Kane is going to replace Ronaldo at Real Madrid. Or replace Benzema. And that a kid like Davies does not even figure as RM 1st team material for the upcoming year, logically.

20 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Okay fair enough but even if they land him which is a very big if at this point but even if they do he would either most likely end up playing for their B team or he would end up on loan most likely. Either way if that all happens then it at least gives him time to grow before eventually getting called into their first team because certain players get called into the first team well sooner or later not all but if Alphonso makes first team he would have to worry about getting playing time.

I don't think so. I feel like if he goes to ManU he'd slot immediately into the U23 squad (which is where his agent planned trial almost happened in December). I guess he could be loaned out but I just don't see that being the case with a 'barely even 18 year old'

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I don't think so. I feel like if he goes to ManU he'd slot immediately into the U23 squad (which is where his agent planned trial almost happened in December). I guess he could be loaned out but I just don't see that being the case with a 'barely even 18 year old'

He’s an MLS all star, I think United would loan him to an EPL side, he’s past U-23 at this point.

whats scary but true, and I can’t stop thinking about it, Herdman said it...

Davis is/will inspiring/inspire a generation of players, the next “Davies” is literally right around the corner, the floodgates have already opened, it’s crazy. Think about it, there’s another Davies type prospect that we either know about (Collyn, Colishaw) or don’t know about.. 

Guest Tg11

Well Alphonso is Canada's undisputed star right now the golden boy of Canadian football right now but is there potential for Canada to develop more stars like him in the future? Yes Canadian wonder kids at youth level are developing more than what we have seen in recent years so

12 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Well Alphonso is Canada's undisputed star right now the golden boy of Canadian football right now but is there potential for Canada to develop more stars like him in the future? Yes Canadian wonder kids at youth level are developing more than what we have seen in recent years so

Now these kids  need  more  games to play  and more teams to play for in this country. Looking forward to the CONCACAF U 20 tournament in St Kitts come November

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Dunno if I'd call him developed by Canada, as he's just so freakin' talented. Basically Whitecaps just stumbled upon him.  

Archived