Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tg11
5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Liverpool or PSV are my choices, personally.

PSV works because at Liverpool he would have to compete with the likes of Salah and other stars who are there and at PSV he would actually get playing time or he wouldn't be as overshadowed like you know what I mean? Plus PSV would further develop him as a player as far as maturity.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I mean, admittedly I am basing it on very little, but his refusal to show up for practice was more than "a bit stupid", that was staight up petulant and completley unprofessional. I cannot picture Davies doing that ever, can you? Yet I was rather unsurprised for it to come from Tabla. Perhaps I was unsurprised because of the Ivory Coast stuff, but I do feel I give Tabla the benefit of the doubt more than other posters on that situation, so I like to think it's less about that and more about just the general vibe I get from him, which is hard to quantify and like I said, really based on little more than my intuition when I watch his body language and stuff like that. 

He comes off as a generally nice lad, perhaps kind of shy, but clearly extremely confident (and for good reason). But there is a touch of arrogance there that I don't get with Davies. 

Davies is very active in social media, particularly on IG, where his personality really shines through. Tabla on the otherhand is relatievly inactive and fair enough, but it is interesting to see who he follows. Guys like Drogba, Pogba, Martial, Dembele etc. and also Jackson Hamel, Timothy Weah and the aformentioned Davies to be fair, but no Bernier, or Piette, or Mancosu etc. if I recall correctly. I realize there could be nothing to it, but I dunno, in my experience it takes a particular type of person to follow a lot of high profile celebraties and relatievly few people whom they have/had daily personal interactions with, if you know what I mean. And in my experience those people tend not to be down to earth.

Now again, I must stress I don't know Tabla personally and have never met him and I am sure he is a nice person, but as a fan speculating here (and that's all it is), this is how I feel until I see something or read something or hear something to suggest otherwise.

I think it is as you say, speculation based on very little. Davies seems like a great guy but yes I can imagine him acting like Tabla if the Caps screw him around as far as transferring to a top club in Europe. At the very least we have to see if that happens before we will know how he reacts. I don't even see the logic or reason behind why you are using who he follows on social media. It is bad that he follows AJH who is probably friends with and is a player who always comes to fans at the end of the game to thank them for their support and seems to be a really good guy? And why should he follow Mancosu? Just a lot of bizarre speculation on your part based on little evidence. 

9 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Transfermarkt has Davies' market value listed at 800,000 Euros. If he is arguably the best 17 year-old in the world, and being scouted by the biggest clubs in the world, surely he is worth significantly more.

Not a great site for player values, honestly I don’t think any website will give you a good idea.  You just need comparative knowledge of the market.  Transfrmarket was probably relevant in 2003. 

Guest Tg11

Should he grow into a bigger star over time then it won't surprise me if big name brands want him to represent them like for example Messi is with Adidas, Ronaldo is with NIKE, Neymar is with NIKE, then I wonder which big brands will want Davies as a face for their brand?

5 hours ago, Tg11 said:

However, the million dollar question remains of who he chooses to commit himself to internationally? 

Did I miss something? Isn't he already cap-tied to Canada? I thought this was settled at the Gold Cup last year where he played for Canada in a competitive match? 

8 minutes ago, ted said:

Did I miss something? Isn't he already cap-tied to Canada? I thought this was settled at the Gold Cup last year where he played for Canada in a competitive match? 

Sorry Ted, it's not a Alphonso Davies thread. It's about a lot of things, but not Alphonso Davies even though the thread is called Alphonso Davies. 

4 minutes ago, ted said:

Only thing you missed is the memo to ignore. 

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think it is as you say, speculation based on very little. Davies seems like a great guy but yes I can imagine him acting like Tabla if the Caps screw him around as far as transferring to a top club in Europe. At the very least we have to see if that happens before we will know how he reacts. I don't even see the logic or reason behind why you are using who he follows on social media. It is bad that he follows AJH who is probably friends with and is a player who always comes to fans at the end of the game to thank them for their support and seems to be a really good guy? And why should he follow Mancosu? Just a lot of bizarre speculation on your part based on little evidence. 

I think you ignored or perhaps missed my point when it came to IG, but alas, it is speculation based on next to nothing. I can't help but like Davies as a personality more than Tabla. I don't hate the kid, he's just not as lovable as Davies.

Have you checked out their IG profiles before? I particularly love how much he loves the Golden State warriors - really makes me laugh.

And yeah, by screwing him around I guess you mean selling him to Barcalona? If the Impact were screwing him they didn't do a good job, did they?

Also, what makes you think Davies would act unperfessionally in the same manner that Tabla did? They were virtually in the same position, one acted professionally, the other like a spoiled child, and both had suitors. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you ignored or perhaps missed my point when it came to IG, but alas, it is speculation based on next to nothing. I can't help but like Davies as a personality more than Tabla. I don't hate the kid, he's just not as lovable as Davies.

Have you checked out their IG profiles before? I particularly love how much he loves the Golden State warriors - really makes me laugh.

And yeah, by screwing him around I guess you mean selling him to Barcalona? If the Impact were screwing him they didn't do a good job, did they?

Also, what makes you think Davies would act unperfessionally in the same manner that Tabla did? They were virtually in the same position, one acted professionally, the other like a spoiled child, and both had suitors. 

I dont blame Tabla just as I don't blame Larin for not reporting to pre season with Orlando.  Perhaps if Tabla doesnt no show that practice, the Impact dont sell him to Barcelona?  We will never know, but as it stands it seems the kid made the right moves to get himself to where he wanted to go.  Im happy that the next generation of canadian players know what they are worth and will not let clubs f*ck with their development goals.  Given the Larin and Tabla precedents, the Whitecaps surely understand that there is a good chance Davies will not show up to pre season if they do not sell him over the winter. 

33 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I dont blame Tabla just as I don't blame Larin for not reporting to pre season with Orlando.  Perhaps if Tabla doesnt no show that practice, the Impact dont sell him to Barcelona?  We will never know, but as it stands it seems the kid made the right moves to get himself to where he wanted to go.  Im happy that the next generation of canadian players know what they are worth and will not let clubs f*ck with their development goals.  Given the Larin and Tabla precedents, the Whitecaps surely understand that there is a good chance Davies will not show up to pre season if they do not sell him over the winter. 

I think Larin and Tabla are different situations. Larin had a contract extension that some would call dubious. Tabla just flat out refused to train in the middle of his contract. 

Good for Tabla for getting what he wanted, but since when has refusing to sell a player been f*ucking around with their development goals? Clubs are not obligated to sell a player under contract. You sign a contract and you honour it like a man.

Apples and Oranges.

It’s early but... does he have potential to be special ?

hes better than Ballou at this age btw, irrelevant to my question but man would Ballou have been better to start in MLS and dominate...

davies is having fun in mls, it’s abojt time he gets this major recognition and not surprising that he may be the best 17 year old.

First team playing time is great I think, but damn it would be nice to say a Canadian player was a part of the ManU system. If Pulisic does make an EPL move, it would be fun seeing those two going at it during a game at some point. 

Also for the "best prospects in his age group" discussions. Isn't it widely regarded that Vinicius Junior is the top 2000 prospect right now (and just signed with Real). Wouldn't mind if Davies pushed him for that title though...

Guest Tg11
27 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

First team playing time is great I think, but damn it would be nice to say a Canadian player was a part of the ManU system. If Pulisic does make an EPL move, it would be fun seeing those two going at it during a game at some point. 

Also for the "best prospects in his age group" discussions. Isn't it widely regarded that Vinicius Junior is the top 2000 prospect right now (and just signed with Real). Wouldn't mind if Davies pushed him for that title though...

Yes it would be a great move but I doubt that it would happen. Davies is talented without question he is special but would he be good enough to make Man Utd's first team? He would even be lucky to get any playing time with the stars that Man U already have. Realistically he would have to go somewhere else.

Guest Tg11
35 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I  hope  Davies  goes  to  a  club  that has  a  history  of  developing  great  players   Like a Ajax , Lyon , B Dortmund,  or  even  Fiorentina 

Out of that bunch as far as the best player developmental system goes it would be Ajax out of these choices.

To even have a Canadian in the mix for that title is mind boggling.  Let’s hope he keeps his upward trajectory and works his ass off, and there is no reason to think he won’t, and that we can all watch him tearing it up in a big 5 league and leading Canada to greatness!

Guest Tg11

Yeah but by the time the 2019 Gold Cup starts he will be 18 years old...still a teenager but since 2017 was more or less his coming out party I can only imagine how he manages to outdo himself for the 2019 edition of the Gold Cup

https://www.google.ca/amp/torontosun.com/sports/soccer/world-cup-notes-canadian-davies-drawing-attention-from-europes-best-clubs/amp

Reading that article...all I had to say was wow

Archived