Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I hope he moves for next season. At 17, his potential is sky high and I just don't trust the Whitecaps to be able to get him there.

 

 

 

 

Guess what.. Whitecaps have already got him there 

 

What world class player has ever been developed in Concacaf? There may be a few but I can' think of one

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about Besiktas as a destination is a waste of breath, they just don't pay anywhere near the kind of money in transfer fees needed to buy Davies. Look at their arrivals on transfermarket the last 5 years, not a single 8-figure transfer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Having Larin and Hutchinson around could really help Davies transition to Europe.

Atiba sure but I don’t think anyone should be taking lessons from Larin on anything related to being a professsional off the pitch for the foreseeable future.

While soccer of course has its own universal language, for young players I think it would be ideal to go where English is the primary language or at least widely spoken. Would suck to lose crucial development time at that age related to language barrier. For example, I wonder how much further ahead a young player like Derek Cornelius would be if he spoke decent Serbian (assuming he doesn’t). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Guess what.. Whitecaps have already got him there 

 

What world class player has ever been developed in Concacaf? There may be a few but I can' think of one

Depends what you define as world class but Márquez and Chicharito come to mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Guess what.. Whitecaps have already got him there 

What world class player has ever been developed in Concacaf? There may be a few but I can' think of one

Davies isn't a world class player yet lol

Like I said, Whitecaps have been good for him so far but I'm not sure they can take him the next step.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Davies would have been better served in Toronto the past season and a bit. I don't think being in Vancouver has hurt all that much but definitely there are better places. 

Ideally, I hope he gets transferred next January but loaned back to Vancouver (somewhere he knows and is comfortable) until the start of the following season. Then he's going into camp, (U-23 or otherwise) at the same time as everyone else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Davies isn't a world class player yet lol

Like I said, Whitecaps have been good for him so far but I'm not sure they can take him the next step.

You mean MLS can't take him to the next step. Who is the team that has reputation of turning out world class players?

 

Seems like the only team to come close I'd Vancouver and Davies

 

Players provided are maybes at best and no mls

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You mean MLS can't take him to the next step. Who is the team that has reputation of turning out world class players?

Seems like the only team to come close I'd Vancouver and Davies

Players provided are maybes at best and no mls

Firstly, you asked about CONCACAF players, so people listed players from CONCACAF.

With regards to teams that have a reputation of developing world class players, I think there are probably lots of European clubs that would fit the bill. You seem to agree since you are pointing out no MLS team has ever done it? So I guess we agree?....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You mean MLS can't take him to the next step. Who is the team that has reputation of turning out world class players?

 

Seems like the only team to come close I'd Vancouver and Davies

 

Players provided are maybes at best and no mls

Rafa Marquez plays his prime years at Barcelona, starts on a champions league winning team twice and wins La Liga 5 times and he's a maybe at best to be a world class player? 

Woof.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Chicharito, Rafa Márquez and Hugo Sánchez instead of Valdés who really wasn’t “world class” else you could probably include another 2 dozen players including Hutchinson and Radzinski. 

Chicarito was never leading scorer in the best league in the world. In fact he was a bomb, that's just typical epl bigheaded bias.  Valdés was the most consistent scorer in Spain over half a decade on a modest team.

Anyways, the comment reeks of Anglo bias and worse apart from being a celebratory revelry of soccer ignorance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Chicarito was never leading scorer in the best league in the world. In fact he was a bomb, that's just typical epl bigheaded bias.  Valdés was the most consistent scorer in Spain over half a decade on a modest team.

Anyways, the comment reeks of Anglo bias and worse apart from being a celebratory revelry of soccer ignorance. 

You’re calling Spain the best league in the world and saying I’m biased? Okay bud - that’s not a debate anyone here wants to have. 

The comment reeks of Anglo bias yet I referenced Hugo Sanchez and Marquez who both played in Spain?  You’re just hyper sensitive to anything to do with English football.. very strange. Never mind the fact I rate him based off play at Leverkusen and Mexico... 

Sorry but it’s just a fact.. you’ll find a lot more people saying Chicharito was world class than Valdés.

Edited by Keegan
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yoginess said:

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Davies would have been better served in Toronto the past season and a bit. I don't think being in Vancouver has hurt all that much but definitely there are better places. 

Why exactly would Toronto have been a better place? They just won MLS cup playing a 3-5-2. He wouldn't have replaced Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley or Vazquez, so there are only 3 positions remaining outside of defense. I doubt they would have been playing him centrally, so if he was playing at all, it would have been as a wing back.

How exactly is that any better than his position in Vancouver?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As amazing as Davies performance was yesterday, so much of his game is based around dribbling and pace. If he really wants to develop into the type of player that can impact matches at the highest level, he needs to work on his crossing and his shooting from outside the area. These are skills he has never really had to work on. Up to now he has always been able to blow by his man. So he needs to keep moving up the ladder and face tougher opposition so that he can learn to diversify his repertoire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, masster said:

As amazing as Davies performance was yesterday, so much of his game is based around dribbling and pace. If he really wants to develop into the type of player that can impact matches at the highest level, he needs to work on his crossing and his shooting from outside the area. These are skills he has never really had to work on. Up to now he has always been able to blow by his man. So he needs to keep moving up the ladder and face tougher opposition so that he can learn to diversify his repertoire. 

My thoughts as well. If he wants to be a quality winger, he needs to make better decisions in the middle of the park. He's not going to always face converted centre backs/midfielders as fullbacks that he can blow by. He needs to become a multidimensional player.

Edited by honestseveran
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, honestseveran said:

My thoughts as well. If he wants to be quality winger, he needs to make better decisions in the middle of the park. He's not going to face converted centre backs/midfields as fullbacks every week that he can blow by. He needs to become a multidimensional player.

He was just blowing by his man.  It's fantastic to watch.  It was great to watch at the Gold Cup last year

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...