Northvansteve

Alphonso Davies

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

By the way, is it just me or does Craig Forrest keep calling him "Allonso Davies" (despite Bob McCown of all people getting it right)?

No, I noticed that too. 

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I think he needs to stay on the left. I prefer when he plays the entire game.

He did struggle to find his place last night.  I think if he had played on the left in a previous game he'd have been faster to get up to speed.  Coming in as a sub you have to be fully comfortable from the first minute, you don't get to play into the position.

That said, I agree with taking Hoilett off instead of de Jong, and they wanted Davies to get into the game.  So I get it.  Just didn't work out for him last night.

3 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

He did struggle to find his place last night.  I think if he had played on the left in a previous game he'd have been faster to get up to speed.  Coming in as a sub you have to be fully comfortable from the first minute, you don't get to play into the position.

That said, I agree with taking Hoilett off instead of de Jong, and they wanted Davies to get into the game.  So I get it.  Just didn't work out for him last night.

I think being on the right wing shows Davies weaknesses a little more because cutting in requires more finesse than beating someone on the outside on your stronger foot.

ESPN just called Alphonso Davies the most exciting player in the tournament, in naming him to their best 11. Choo choo the hype train rolls up motherfuckers.

http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/59/blog/post/3159409/canadian-teenage-sensation-alphonso-davies-leads-gold-cup-best-xi

Alphonso Davies, MF, Canada -- Yowza. The co-leader in goals scored for the tournament, Davies has been outstanding. The 16-year-old Vancouver Whitecap announced his presence on the international stage by galloping past the French Guiana defense before nutmegging the goalkeeper for his first Canada goal. He then ordered up a second goal via a second nutmeg to cap the 4-2 victory. Davies also showed some smarts in taking advantage of Cristian Gamboa's sleepy defending and powering home a shot to score Canada's goal in the 1-1 draw with Costa Rica. The most exciting player of the tournament.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

ESPN just called Alphonso Davies the most exciting player in the tournament, in naming him to their best 11. Choo choo the hype train rolls up motherfuckers.

http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/59/blog/post/3159409/canadian-teenage-sensation-alphonso-davies-leads-gold-cup-best-xi

Man, Piette was good but Arfield is not getting enough love ... he has a goal, an assist, took the FK that led to Jako's goal, and seems to be everywhere on the pitch.

Edited by Addona

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

So, who had Fonzie in their starting eleven for the French Guiana match? :)

Not me! To be fair though, I didn't explicitly make a starting eleven, but it probably would have had Edwards in Davies spot. Since he never saw the field nobody can refute my claim that he would have scored 6 ;)

Am in Mexico on vacation and watching fox sports, Espn and Sky sports in Spanish.  Gold cup coverage is like TSN covering world junior hockey ; very in-depth and all teams being featured 

With my limited Spanish I can deduce a huge appreciation for Davies and an "why can't we have talent like him" narrative, Love to see it and as a long time Canada supporter very nice to hear 

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Good series by the way, if you can stomach the Atomic Blonde adverts well worth the watch

On 7/17/2017 at 11:29 PM, Markoaleks said:

Am in Mexico on vacation and watching fox sports, Espn and Sky sports in Spanish.  Gold cup coverage is like TSN covering world junior hockey ; very in-depth and all teams being featured 

With my limited Spanish I can deduce a huge appreciation for Davies and an "why can't we have talent like him" narrative, Love to see it and as a long time Canada supporter very nice to hear 

100% confirmed, been watching the games on Unionvision.  Overall,  Mexicans tend to enjoy and appreciate the "offensive flare" style of play, we are beginning to pick up some attention and respect :).  I believe for the 2nd half of our game when the fans start rolling in they will be cheering for us over Jamaica. They will want and appreciate to see something from Davies, and we also have latin heritage on our squad (and the coach), compared to Jamaica with 0.  

This can only help us in the 2nd half in Arizona with the majority of the crowd behind us.   Wish today was Thursday haha

Edited by apbsmith
Fixed auto correct

2017 Gold Cup Young Player award winner.

2017 Gold Cup Golden Boot winner. (3 goals. Two other players also had 3 goals but apparently Davies won on fewest minutes played, since he did not appear to have any assists.)

Congratulations Alphonso!!

Edited by Lofty
Revised the Golden Boot tie breaker.