Northvansteve

Alphonso Davies

On 7/9/2017 at 6:27 PM, harrycoyster said:

I'm pretty sure I listed them in detail somewhere earlier in this thread if you want to go search, but here's a summary:

Passing- Davies has a low passing percentage. He has a habit of waiting too long to make a pass. He also isn't very comfortable getting pressed and is easily forced into blind passes into midfield. This is emblematic of a larger issue in his game; he doesn't pick his head up while transitioning from dribbling to passing/crossing. You saw this even in the FG game when Cavallini yelled at him twice for delivering blind crosses. He's also shown that he isn't great at lifting the ball off the ground. He struggles to switch the play and regularly over hits lifted crosses. You'll notice that when shooting, crossing and passing, he tries to keep the ball on the ground, even when the situation calls for more power.

Finishing- Davies generally doesn't have a good shot on him. I'm less concerned about this since it may partially be a confidence thing, but Davies reluctance to lift the ball along hurts his ability to strike from distance. He just isn't much of a threat to cut in and score from the top of the box. He has what I call "Juan Agedelo syndrome"; the tendency to try to walk the ball into a 1v1 with the goalkeeper instead of just opening up you hips and taking chances from decent areas. Davies has taken just 6 shots in MLS this season despite having 20 successful dribbles (beat his defender)...that's crazy low. Again, I hope some of this is fixed by his current form.

Dribbling technique- Davies prefers to touch the ball with his insteps rather than his toe/laces while dribbling. It's not a terrible thing, most soccer players rely on their insteps to control the direction of the ball. The best wingers in the world, however, use their toe/laces when dribbling because it makes your change of direction much more unpredictable. This is something Davies has clearly been working on, but he likely won't ever be a skill dribbler like Dembele or Neymar.

1v1 ability- I mentioned earlier that Davies has 20 successful dribbles in MLS. That number is really good. Like, really good. The issue here is that he has accumulated those dribbles off of one thing, his change of pace. Oh boy what a change of pace it is, but to be successful against the more talented, faster, smarter fullbacks of European football, he's going to need to develop the skill set of more agile players. In MLS, he has been primarily used as a sub because his change of pace is amplified by the tired legs of defenders 70' into a game. When he does start, his dribble percentage drops as the game goes on because he loses the a lot of his burst due to fatigue.

He has some issues with work rate and decision-making as well, but those usually improve greatly over a player's career. The aforementioned issues are things that don't automatically improve with age, though you can assume a 16 year old will get better in those areas; it's just a matter of how much. If he is able to turn these flaws into elite traits you are talking about a world superstar.

I love how Davies is destroying his arguments, specially the bold parts. 

13 hours ago, Birdman said:

Davies is already Canada's 4th all time GC scorer.:o

6 goals-Gerba, De Rosario

5 goals, Corazzin

3 goals, Davies, Mitchell, McKenna

Dude has the same amount as goals as Marcus Haber.

I admit it that I was wrong about Davies becoming a starter for Canada so soon. I really thought he was not ready for it, but he's enjoying it so much that he's getting better each game. Great to see and hopefully his journey in the Soccer world takes him to great heights. Davies been great these two games and hoping for more  mainly WC.

Alphonso Davies, Alphonso Davies!

You can meet my sister and make many babies!

Alphonso Davies, Alphonso Davies!

You score goals like no other,

would you please meet my mother?

I like this kid alot 

Edited by finchster

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

I admit it that I was wrong about Davies becoming a starter for Canada so soon. I really thought he was not ready for it, but he's enjoying it so much that he's getting better each game. Great to see and hopefully his journey in the Soccer world takes him to great heights. Davies been great these two games and hoping for more  mainly WC.

Good to get in front of that before Unnamed Trialist calls you out!

8 hours ago, Califax said:

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy

But im in love with, Alphonso Davies

And all the goals he scores, ******* amaze me

Cause im in love with, Alphonso Davies

This is simple, brilliant and with a really recognizable tune. We need to do this in September!

On 7/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, Scorpion26 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. I am a huge Davies fan too. I thought he could maybe turn heads with some late game subs. 

On extraTime Radio yesterday, they were calling Davies a budding superstar who is only a rung below Pulisic level (wasn't meant to be a slight against Davies in any way). So basically on par with what most people are thinking.