Northvansteve

Alphonso Davies

Has his finishing actually been poor, or is he just not finding himself in good scoring positions with Vancouver? Because that's a pretty common theme with the 'Caps these days.

3 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Has his finishing actually been poor, or is he just not finding himself in good scoring positions with Vancouver? Because that's a pretty common theme with the 'Caps these days.

Few minutes at Caps. A team with very little of the ball. He playing wide outside and mostly respecting the guys in the middle. Sort of like him in the 1st half the other day, just a crosser in. 

There was a game recently Robbo had him inside, vs. Dallas, and he was good, subbing on, but with defenders deep and in front of him. 

I think he will score this year, should, but at Caps he can also learn from there more savvy, technical guys with experience. IMO he is not yet as good as Techera, Shea, Montero or Reyna, all of whom have real football intelligence.

You have to like how Cavallini shouted at him, like kid, you gotta give me the ball in when I say, and not babying him, I liked that. Next time, he did better. Then, when Alphonso was up high and near him, Lucas comes out, controls, turns and lays of the ball perfectly for his run, a beautifully weighed pass. Our third, mostly Davies´ credit mind you for the run and finish.

6 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Pretty much agree with @Unnamed Trialist. He has 0 goals on 6 shots, which isn't the end of the world by any means. I think the bigger issue is that he doesn't think to shoot unless he's in on goal. He's only taken 1 shot from outside the box this season and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a cross. 

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Pretty much agree with @Unnamed Trialist. He has 0 goals on 6 shots, which isn't the end of the world by any means. I think the bigger issue is that he doesn't think to shoot unless he's in on goal. He's only taken 1 shot from outside the box this season and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a cross. 

Good point. I don't think there is a single Caps or Canada follower with the remotest idea whether he has a good shot or not. Unless some of the guys who saw him with WC2 paid attention.

Which is kinda funny if you think about it, this phenomenon, scoring for us, and we don't know if he can shoot.

he tries to keep the ball on the ground, even when the situation calls for more power.

Shows how low the understanding is, thinking that the ball has to get off the ground for more power

37 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

TSN has made him the focus of all of the promos for today's game. So much for dampening the hype. 

Marketers going to market lol.  

On the Footy Soldiers pod they said that were communication between OZ and the Caps to co-ordinate things in regards to him so that should help.  Not trying to play amateur psychiatrist but everything I've seen and read is that he's got a good family base so hopefully it won't go to his his.

52 minutes ago, Rheo said:

On the Footy Soldiers pod they said that were communication between OZ and the Caps to co-ordinate things in regards to him.

"Hey OZ, it's Robbo. We here at Whitecaps FC subscribe to the 'less is more' theory on player development, so we were wondering if you could maybe limit Davies to 30 minutes off the bench for the rest of the tournament?"

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

"Hey OZ, it's Robbo. We here at Whitecaps FC subscribe to the 'less is more' theory on player development, so we were wondering if you could maybe limit Davies to 30 minutes off the bench for the rest of the tournament?"

Hey OZ, it's Robbo. We here at the Whitecaps FC have been starting and subbing Alphonso about 50/50 as we feel that is the correct amount for a 16 year old. Thanks for the kind words about our development process for the young lad. Too bad a bunch of opinionated but unqualified people feel otherwise.  :)

Edited by TRM

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

he tries to keep the ball on the ground, even when the situation calls for more power.

Shows how low the understanding is, thinking that the ball has to get off the ground for more power

Are you seriously suggesting that you can get as much power on a side-footed ground pass as you can on putting your laces through the ball? In the situations I was talking about (shooting from outside the box, backpost crosses, switching the play, etc.) lifting the ball off the ground is almost always the best option. 

28 minutes ago, TRM said:

Hey OZ, it's Robbo. We here at the Whitecaps FC have been starting and subbing Alphonso about 50/50 as we feel that is the correct amount for a 16 year old. Thanks for the kind words about our development process for the young lad. Too bad a bunch of opinionated but unqualified people feel otherwise.  :)

"Hey OZ, Robbo again. Do you think you might need another assistant in the next 4-6 months?"

10 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

"Hey OZ, Robbo again. Do you think you might need another assistant in the next 4-6 months?"

We might but we have our eye on this jpg75 guy who really knows his **** and everyone else's **** too!!

So using the side of the foot is the only way to keep it on the ground, putting the laces through the ball is the way to lift it and an mls player doesn't know that he has to lift the ball to switch sides as there are a number of players in the way..Just gets funnier

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

So using the side of the foot is the only way to keep it on the ground, putting the laces through the ball is the way to lift it and an mls player doesn't know that he has to lift the ball to switch sides as there are a number of players in the way..Just gets funnier

You're just misconstruing what I'm saying and not actually considering the points. I'm not saying that "using the side of the foot is the only way to keep it on the ground" or that "putting the laces through the ball is the only way to lift it".

Down here in the U.S. I watched every gold cup game of that opening weekend, sometimes on the Spanish channels sometimes on Fox Sports. Literally in every broadcast his name came up and he was discussed. It was wild. 

1 hour ago, TRM said:

We might but we have our eye on this jpg75 guy who really knows his **** and everyone else's **** too!!

Meh, not interested in the pay cut.