Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Very pleased for Davies and the CMNT. His stock continues to rise. Hope he signs  with a suitable European team  that can  further develop his immense potential, as it will not happen if he stays with the Whitecaps. 2 years to go?

January of 2019 is the first transfer window he'd be able to sign in Europe. The Whitecaps have him under contract until December of 2020. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ansem said:

The Guardian: Next Generation 2017: 60 of the best young talents in world football

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

• Canada: Alphonso Davies (Vancouver Whitecaps) At just 16, Alphonso Davies has achieved some remarkable things at senior level. In July he became the youngest player to score at the Gold Cup at 16 years, eight months and five days old. The hard-working, delightfully technical and scarily fast Canadian was also named the Best Young Player at the tournament, where he picked up the Golden Boot for his three goals. Capable of playing across the attacking line, Davies excels at moving into pockets of space between the full-back and centre-back, where his direct running towards goal or his willingness to stretch the play wide can be factors in developing dangerous attacks.

Our boy made it on the list :D

This is awesome news for him, but of course we all hope he keeps his head down and keeps working hard. I'm sure he will be alright with good work ethic and always getting chance to play free or his game to excel.

29 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Age: old question: Is Davies better on the right or left? 

bonus for those of you who said left,  is it worth putting Hoilett on right side from a NT perspective?

He's probably slightly better on the left, anywhere but playing him central really (as tonight's Caps game has shown). I think short term we start Arfield on the right and Hoilett on the left and replace them with Davies as needed. I'd only really start Davies on the left if we are playing Hoilett underneath the striker. 

@Vince193 Prior to tonight, he's actually been on his best 2-3 game run of the season. But yeah...we've haven't seen anything even resembling CMNT Davies all year. 

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

He's probably slightly better on the left, anywhere but playing him central really (as tonight's Caps game has shown). I think short term we start Arfield on the right and Hoilett on the left and replace them with Davies as needed. I'd only really start Davies on the left if we are playing Hoilett underneath the striker. 

@Vince193 Prior to tonight, he's actually been on his best 2-3 game run of the season. But yeah...we've haven't seen anything even resembling CMNT Davies all year. 

I maintain that the bunker-and-counter philosophy that Robbo has been employing is not allowing Davies much opportunity to get forward. He has been very good defensively, which is why a few of us feel optimistic about his recent play (today excluded). One other thing to note is that EVERYBODY now knows that the kid has wicked speed down the flanks so they are cutting off that avenue before he can really get his jets going. But the wings are where he should live, at least until he gets tidier in possession. His passing, I've noticed, has improved a fair bit as of late.  He's got much to learn still, and I think he will benefit from a more settled line-up, even if he is only coming off the bench at the 60 minute mark. As for the Nats, left or right, I don't know which is best for him yet, but as others have wisely pointed out, it all depends on how we are using other key pieces like Junior and Arfield.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He didn’t really start anything offensively. Every time he had the ball seatle would quickly get 2 guys on him. Vancouver just looked slow in general so he couldn’t play off of anyone either... he did win a couple balls back defensively though. Seemed more effective than tchera was in the second half. But really didn’t have the opportunity to do much.

So just turned 17, earned $65k, has played one full season on the top team getting 1053 minutes in MLS (plus 116 in V's Cup action) and is looking forward to graduating high school next year.

Damn site better than my 16th year I'll tell you.  

Archived